Minor/Repaint: IDW Hardhead: my take

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by kryptofred, Feb 26, 2010.

1. kryptofred

kryptofred super-con

Ebay:
    Not a new idea (VENON did the first one I saw), but this is my take on Hardhead. Based on IDW's charactor and using the classics 2.0 Onslaught mold.

The shoulder cannon is from a "Corps!" cheapo. It's hinged using a foot/ankle from a Bruticus tank component.

The head is a alternators Sideswipe head repainted with the "fins" trimed off and a visor added.

The base figure was repainted with krylon fusion satin hunter green.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. bakublade

bakublade Well-Known Member

its cool but it looks black not green

3. darrenmea9

darrenmea9 Well-Known Member

ya true, he looks alot like black, hardhead is supost 2 be green but the new cannon looks reaallyyy ccoollll!!!

4. Kungfu Dinobot

Kungfu Dinobot Well-Known Member

Nice work!:) 

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  5. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

that shoulder cannon is awesome! :D 

i wish this was the actual re-tool of the universe toy!

6. Wheel_Jack

Wheel_Jack pitying fools

Ebay:
    came out great. i feel like that autobot symbol's gotta go. I think it's the factory decal but it feels way too big.
    regardless, a fine job!

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I really like where you've went with this piece already. You've made a good use of that Alt Side Swipe head, and I really like the feel of him in robot mode. The cannon in the alt mode is a little off to me; it needs to be better integrated with the rest of the toy. Also, the toy still looks blue, despite saying you've used a hunter green for it. The photos look like they're lit well, though, so I'm not too sure what's going on there.

Anyways, I certainly think you're headed in the right direction here. Thanks for sharing! :thumb 

8. kryptofred

kryptofred super-con

Ebay:
    Thanks everyone, glad you like it!

Not sure what to say about the color issue. I showed the pics to my wife and she said it looked black, then blue...maybe brown?..purple? Then I showed her the actual figure and she seemed genuinely surprised that it was green.

Maybe it's a lighting issue or something to do with the camera?

They always looked green to me but that's probably because I already knew what it was. I may try to take some new pics with a diffrent set up.

It's not factory, it's a reprolabel. I started with an Onslaught so he had a decepticon symbol. I jsut replaced it with a comparable autobot one. I have some smaller ones, just didn't give it much thought. Anyone think I should downsize?

I like the head too, although it needs another coat of paint. The pictures really showcased to me how off the cannon is in alt. mode. I'm not sure what to do about it though. I want to try to straighten it out some so it points higher but what else? I guess I could shorten it up some, but I like the oversized look in 'bot mode. Any other ideas anyone?

BTW is the first pic always the thumbnail? I wanted to change it but I'm not sure how.

9. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yeah, some different settings and more light may be all you need there :wink: 

For me, it's more about how it connects to the vehicle. Right now, it just looks kinda stuck on there. I'd recommend looking at some reference photos, and then going from there. Also, you're treading on trodden soil here, so you may want to perform a search on similar customs.

As for the thumbnail, the first one is always the thumbnail.