IDW Had Plans For An X-Files/Transformers Crossover Comic Book

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Spunky, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

Sometime in 2008 (can't quite remember when), after inquiring, I received an email from IDW stating that they had plans to do an X-Files/Transformers crossover comic book. (I wished I had saved the email, but I lost it.) IDW stated that Fox, which ownes the X-Files, wanted too much money for the rights.

As an X-Files fan, I think that would have been one of the best crossovers to date if done well. And I'm sure IDW would do it right. What I can't understand is why Fox is so stupid. Didn't Fox realize that Transformers then and now is what's hot. They could have garnered alot of publicity for a show that's been gone and dead for over six years. Fox, being the geniuses that they are, just couldn't do this. What did they do instead? They made a boring to most monster of the week X-Files movie that grossed $20 million at the most in the United States. No aliens and government conspiracies. (The stuff most people want to see.) Just a pediphile priest and a couple of homosexual guys illegally harvesting organs. (Nothing against homosexuals and I think the 2nd X-Files movie may have given them a bad name.) Now I did see the movie and enjoyed it for what it was. But a Transformers/X-Files crossover comic would have been so much better and IDW wanted to do it!

Makes me sad.

2. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can't even guess how to make those two universes work together.

3. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

If IDW can cross over Transformers, G.I. Joe, Star Trek, and Ghostbusters, then they can SURELY crossover Transformers and X-Files. Chris Mowry emailed me and told me that IDW wanted to do the crossover, but Fox wanted too much money for the X-Files rights. I didn't say anything for a long time because Chris wanted what he told me kept under wraps for a while. I had the email for the longest time, but then my computer crashed. I had to reinstall everything and my Outlook Express memory that had the email was wiped clean. (Wish I had saved a copy of the email somewhere else.)

X-Files and Transformers would be so easy to crossover. Transformers are aliens. Mulder is always searching for aliens, conspiracies, and the truth. Mulder and Scully discover the Transformers. Mulder tells Optimus Prime that Earth is doomed on December 22nd, 2012 because that's when the nasty Black Oil Grey aliens invade. (See the very last episode of the X-Files show called "The Truth"). Optimus Prime and the other Autobots realize that they are not just Earth's only hope against the Decepticons, but against the Grey alien invaders as well. Mulder and Scully team up with the Transformers. Or perhaps the Transformers have to guard them now because the Decepticons have realized that they are the Transformers human allies and will be Decepticon targets now. Mulder and Scully move into the Autobot base. Prime agrees to guard Mulder. Ratchet reluctantly agrees to guard Scully since she, like he, is a doctor and shares much in common. Oh wait a minute! This is sounding like "Transformers Prime" now! Just replace the teenagers with Mulder and Scully! Well it could be done easily.

4. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    This would have been epic.

As a fan of the Transformers and the X-Files, I would have loved to see a story like this. I can only imagine the look on Scully's face if she were to come face to face with a Decepticon and an Autobot dropped in to save her and Mulder.

I would so want to see the "I TOLD YOU SO" look on Mulder's face...

Damn, I feel like writing a fanfic about this...

5. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    This could have been an interesting read.

6. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

Well now I am wondering if it may come to be. I read that an X-Files/30 Days Of Night crossover comic book exists. And guess what? IDW and Wildstorm are publishing it! Maybe IDW got the rights for the X-Files! I don't know.

Better yet, just have Mulder and Scully show up in "Transformers Prime"! After all, there's got to be some reason why June Darby's wearing hospital clothing. Maybe she's a nurse at a hospital in Jasper working under Dr. Dana Scully. Maybe Dana Scully moved to Jasper because Mulder decided to move there to investigate strange Transformers-related occurances that began in 2007. After all, after his name was cleared by the FBI in winter of 2008 in the second X-Files movie, he no longer has to hide from the law and can live anywhere. Maybe Scully lost her job at that Catholic hospital she was working at because the Catholic authorities there did not approve of her using stem cells to cure a patient of Sandhoff's disease (despite the fact it cured the boy, Christian). So Mulder, now a free man, asks Scully if she would come with him to Jasper and asks her to look into getting a job at the local hospital there. So in 2008 or 2009 Scully gets a job in Jasper and they both move there. June Darby is now one of Scully's nurses. And through Scully's connection to June Darby, a series of events happens which lead Mulder and Scully to the discovery of the Transformers! Since three of the five Autobots are already assigned to guard the human teens, Ratchet is assigned to Scully. And Optimus Prime agrees to guard Mulder. I can just hear it now:

JACK: "So who will protect Mulder?"

OPTIMUS PRIME: "I will be Mulder's guardian!"

EPIC! BRING IT THE F*CK ON!

Ok, dreaming there! I'll settle for a comic book. But if for some absolutely impossible and improbable reason that Mulder and Scully show up in "Transformers Prime", Nostalgia Critic better review it with more glowing enthusiam than he did for the Transformers movies! And he better be ready to have a NERDGASM in the process!

7. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Crossover suck, more often than not.

And just because a company releases a crossover doesn't mean they "can do it".

Especially considering what IDW's Transformers comics have devolved into over the past few years, Last Stand of the Wreckers nonwithstanding.

8. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

I have faith IDW can do it right. I just hope they do it in the next 5 years at least.

9. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    probably something like the sector 7 comics i guess. its okay ish.

10. Nevermore

News Credits:
    My faith in IDW started shaking with Beast Wars the Gathering, cracked with the BW Sourcebooks, broke with All Hail Megatron, died with Continuum and was buried with the ongoing.

Sadly, Last Stand of the Wreckers was a fluke.

So if they can't even handle their Transformers-only titles right, how are they supposed to make a crossover with the X-Files not suck?

When was the last well-written cross-property Transformers crossover again?

11. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    From what I understand they are not crossing over with each other, the Robots vs Zombies property is hoping into all those different universes in some company wide event

12. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  13. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I think to do it right, it has to be framed as an X-Files episode.

And a good question to ponder would be -

Is the Syndicate aware of the Cybertronians? I vote no on this. I think it would be much better if the appearance of the Cybertronians is as much a surprise to the Syndicate as it is to Mulder and Scully.

14. TFcollecterguy

TFcollecterguy Well-Known Member

lol that would have been so cool. Wait, is there a normal x-files comic by IDW????

15. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

i just added xfiles season 1 to my netflix to be reminded of the awesomeness, because of this thread. if i hold my drift toy in my hand while watching, i'll have my own crossover

16. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    LOL.

I got the collector's edition on DVD a couple of years back for Christmas, and I've watched it a couple of times. Strangely enough, I posted my Ghost Starscream on top of the box to display it...

17. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Well-written? How about the DW WW2-era GI Joe / TF crossover. That was pretty good, right?

18. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Back in the PREFIX-ation days I think this would have worked well.
    There was a lot of hiding and espionage going on back then.

Quite well written -but horribly drawn.

19. Nevermore

News Credits:
    You mean the grimdark murky mish-mash colors thing where it's hard to tell what's going on, and everything is so utterly dark and depressive, and it ends with a really stupid deus ex machnina?

20. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Yeah, that one. :) 
    And I loved how the characters could be out in the middle of a field in the daytime and yet somehow be obscured in shadow.

Also, I just loved the extreme close ups of the robots shoulders and necks. :rolleyes2