IDW future series

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by General Magnus, May 21, 2008.

1. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I read in Teletran-1 that "Expansion" was canceled. So that means what? That the IDW verse ends with "All Hail Megatron"?

2. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    They may be planning something different or retitling it. I don't think we have another Dreamwave situation happening.

3. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I've not heard this news. I do recall they are bringing in new writers and Mr. Furman is not going to be the main writer for much longer.

Time will tell.

4. General Magnus

But I assume they will continue this righ?

5. BallaTron

BallaTron Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Dont forget about "Revelation"

6. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    I really, really doubt it. It's just that AHM is a 12-issue maxi-series, so we probably won't know what's following it for quite some time.

Also, don't forget that the Spotlights for Cyclonus/Hardhead/Doubledealer/Sideswipe are essentially a 4-part series to wrap up the whole Dead Universe thing.

Beyond the occasional spotlight, though, Furman's said that there will be a "Maximum Dynobots" miniseries starting late this year, and set in the main IDW continuity.

7. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

Yes, the IDW-verse is just going in a different direction than they had originally planned. That means things like Expansion might be cancelled, but it also means that it will be replaced with something else. It doesn't mean that they've given up on the brand all together.

8. Caine

Caine Rise up to the glory!!

News Credits:
    As long as they keep up with their commitments on MaxDinobots & AHM, and make sure won't end up like Dreamwave, I'm cool with it.

9. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Speaking as someone who reads the IDW books via trades, I wish somebody could explain to me clearly what is going on over there. From what I can gather, the post Devastation series, Revelation, was cancelled and the story rolled into the Spotlights. Whatever came after that was cancelled outright. Now we have All Hail Megatron, but nobody seems to be able to explain whether or not this is the IDW continuity or another reboot. Meanwhile Simon Furman may or may not be doing more stuff for them? I'm not a Furman nut or anything (he's allright but a fresh take would be great), but nobody seems to be saying clearly what is happening. Meanwhile I hear about lots of editorial problems that are delaying trades (most notably the BW Sourcebook trade, which I'm not even sure is still coming out. Is it?).

10. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    IDW is doing what almost every comic company does, changing the game plan to keep sales up and potentially enlist new readers. Revelation is now a four part Spotlight esque series and will read like "Spot Cyclonous; Revelation Part 1", and will deal with the remaining threads that Furman has laid down in previous books that need to be addressed to wrap some stuff up nicely. All Hail Megatron will start almost concurrently with Revelations as a 12-issue maxi-series and takes place where Devastation left off: Earth nix any Autobots to drag our flesh from the fire. Expansion hasn't been heard of anywhere except in the previews of Revelations, but it sounds like it has something to do with the Dead Universe "expanding" their reach outside of their little hole in space and time. After Revelations, Furman will pick up a new series called "MAXIMUM DINOBOTS" which picks up the threads that Spotlight: Grimlock laid down.
    The Beast Wars Sourcebook trade was getting a complete overhaul, if the thread was still up on IDW's boards I'd show you the picture where the new editor (Tipton?) had sticky noted the hell out of the three regular issues with notes for all the corrections. They want to correct all the errors they made in the original printings to make it a book worth buying, so that may delay it a little.
    DN

11. General Magnus

BTW wich bots are going to opose the Decepticons in "AHM"?

12. Dinobot Nuva

News Credits:
    As far as we know...none. Hopefully they keep it that way. From the Mosaic Furman wrote it looks like Sunstreaker will be Revelation AND Maximum Dinobots. Maybe Hot Rod will tag along in some manner that way.
    DN

13. General Magnus

Uh..that would suck. Come on it´s not like humans hae any chances fighting the cons.

It´s Transformers, Autobots versus Decepticons, not Transformers , Humans versus Decepticons. Heck I think I speak for most people when I say "please let not humans become too central in the story."

14. Dinobot Nuva

News Credits:
    IMO, the point of the story is to actually give the Decepticons some development for a change. Delving into Thundercracker's apprehensions about the whole Decepticon cause, seeing more of the Constructicons dicking around together rather than just reporting to Megatron on how their latest project is going.
    That's why I'm looking forward to ALL HAIL so much, because we rarely get to see the Decepticons on a personal level like we do the Autobots.
    DN

15. General Magnus

Oh..Viewing from that point..It´s a valid one. I would love to see Thundercraker getting displeased with this and defecting Megs. Poor guy deserves a break.

I still hope they don´t kill Optimus and the others in some random "deux ex machina." I mean the Autobots have a large empire at their control. I refuse to belive they will go down in one year...

16. Dinobot Nuva

News Credits:
    Only thing we've heard about Prime is that Optimus VS Nemesis will be in the conclusion to Revelations. Yeah, I hope they don't kill him off this soon either...
    Still, just Earth falling to Megs and company doesn't mean the rest of the planets will fall, though you never know.
    DN

17. General Magnus

I agree, I don´t have any problems with Earth falling. I just hope they don´t kill ALL the autobots and their Empire. They still have alot of characters and military to cover. They keep saying the Autobots are defeated everytime they talk about "AHM".

18. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

Steve McArthy said on the IDW boards that the series will start out with no Autobots around. He implied that they will be making an appearance at some point during the 12 issue run, however, so it won't be just a 'Cons vs. Humans story.

19. WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit Uncounted Outlier

News Credits:
    You'll definitely see some familiar Autobot faces in AHM. As to their situation and at what point they'll face the Decepticons on Earth, we'll have to wait and see...

20. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Based on IDW's current track record I think that means that there will be an awesome cover render of Optimus versus Nemesis that represents two panels on the last page where the two titans suddenly grapple and then just as suddenly vanish.

IDW hit a home run with one of the best Optimus X Megatron fights to date in any medium and his since hit nothing but fouls in the "Major Confrontation" stadium.

Optimus X Sixshot -what a great cover that is. I personally think it is one of the best comic book covers ever. Of course the actual fight between the two never happened. If it did though, I imagine it would look something like that cover.
    Starscream X Sixshot -Man, what build up. What tension. What a disappointment. Starscream just calls out Sixshot's shutdown code. This one actually almost works given that Starscream's strengths lie mostly in subterfuge. On its own it's a nice testament to Starscream's tenacity, but it can't be ignored as an ingredient to this Faux Battle Sandwich.
    Megatron X Starscream -Nick Roche's cover had me excited to see the two throw down. Then I read the issue...
    Megatron: Starscream you are alive?
    Starscream: Yep. Let's fight these other bad guys.
    Megatron. Mmmm 'K!
    That's a slight paraphrase :)  but the point is -no fight.
    Grimlock X Scorponok -This wasn't on the cover of Spotlight Grimlock, but it sure was hyped. Then the fight basically consists of Scorponok grabbing Grimlock and Grimlock teleporting away.

I hope part of IDW's new direction is to move away from this bait and switch storytelling.
    These non-confrontations and all of the dangling plotlines with no resolution are becoming tedious.

Criticisms aside, I still think they are the best Transformers comics period.