IDW "Drift" as a Binaltech KO?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ShadowStitch, Jul 27, 2008.

1. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

Being a Lazy Sunday, I just got around to checking out the news and haps from SDCC on the various boards. Checking out the pics of the IDW panel, I noticed the pictures of their new character, "Drift," who is supposed to be the first character to go from comic property to toy or somesuch.

In any case, he's a riced-out Japanese street racer that turns into a patlabor/gundam hybrid who is apparently very fond of vents.

[​IMG]
    mirrored from tformers.com

But what struck me about his alt mode was the fact that it resembles a certain KO Binaltech Dead End.

[​IMG]
    mirrored from tformers.com

[​IMG]
    mirrored from Genzhao

...sure, it's an American car, and the Dead End bot mode doesn't resemble him so much (not enough vents) but the red windows, spoilers, and red-on-white accents are there.
    So it's similar, I guess, in roughly the same way Classics Bumblebee resembles G1 Bumblebee....

Okay, so maybe I'm crazy, but it was the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw the photos. Just thought I'd mention it. :confused2 

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    With all the colours of Tf cars and Alt/Binaltechs and whatnot, I doubt it's anything more than coincidence. Good eye, though. Even if the deco doesn't really match.

But Man, I wanna see this guy as a toy. I know they said he's getting one, but I'm just impatient. :lol 

3. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    It is only a really vague similarity

4. Carl

Carl Length and/or Girth

Forevermore known as Ventformer :lol 

5. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

What does he keep in his legs that needs so much cooling?

6. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    I really digg him. The headsculpt is like a cross between the Braves and Gundam.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Maybe he does lots of running?

8. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    For that MT KO, I thought having a Decepticon would be cooler:

Killswitch:

[​IMG]

http://www.tfw2005.com/radicons-customs/repaints-and-minor-mods-4/binal-tech-killswitch-162472/

Don't get me wrong, I really like Drift, but this is still what I want out of this particular toy. Now if we were to see a BT (or even an Alt down the road), I'd get it :) 

Did anyone notice the "Binaltech Inc." on the rocker panels? I'm not sure how Binaltech can afford to sponsor a racer when it barely sponsored its own line :lol  (i.e. BTs weren't a runaway success like some other TF lines, relatively speaking of course.)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  9. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:
    Do any of you guys realize what he is supposed to be? with the name DRIFT. and the alt mode is clear as day. He is a silvia S15

[​IMG]

I would prefer him to be an Alternator or BT.

10. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Well, I know I can tell the difference between a Viper and any other car. I think the point the most of us were trying to make were the deco similarities of the Metals Transform toy and the design. I thought that much was clear as day.

I agree with you on preferring Drift as an Alt or a BT. I'd also say that point is probably what got the most of us already thinking in that route.

Thanks for the photo though :)  I always enjoy seeing the actual vehicles TFs are based on (particularly with Alts and BTs, since I typically design with those specifications in mind).