IDW & Dreamwave's Unicron Trilogy...?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Scrapper6, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

Do you think it would be viable for IDW to ressurect the Unicron trilogy in comic book form by maybe expanding and completing what Dreamwave began? I just re-read all of my Dreamwave Unicron trilogy stuff and I woudn't mind it if IDW tried to finish it up in maybe a mini-series or TPB special format.

If nothing else I would love to see what Dreamwave's MTMTE Official Guidebook for the Energon series would have been like. Perhaps IDW will recreate the profile/source books as a semi-regular event giving us Beast Machines/RID/Energon/Cybertron and even one for The Movie... Now that would be cool.

Does anyone else agree with my wishes or should we leave Dreamwave's stories debunk and forever unfinished just like Marvel's G2 was open ended cliffhangerish? Personally I'd love to know the names of all the Autobot Elders and just what the Pit Avalon and Alpha Quintesson were up to. I know G1 and BW are more liked as it were, but personally I find the Comic Continuity of the Unicron trilogy to be a nice little change from all the rehashes of G1 and we never did get to see Cybertron in comic book format except as part of the Collector's Club. (Still gotta pick up that TPB of Balancing Act.)
    If nothing else after a few years of the Dreamwave fiasco being buried and done with for the most part I'd be interested to know what others think of their Unicron Trilogy Continuity compared to the anime... Heck I'd love to see IDW give us at least a hint of what could have been since they're giving us so many bones and all that.

2. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I liked Dreamwave's Armada and Energon comics, but I don't see the point in IDW finishing Energon and telling the Cybertron story. I'
    d much rather them pick up Mick's G1 book to continue, finish Transformers/GI Joe Vol. 2., or continue WW.

3. TreKain

TreKain All Will Be Well TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think IDWs G1 universe is much richer than anything DW did, and I'm happy to leave those stories where they are.

4. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

Why? IDW already has a G1 series, plus the Marvel G1 Reprints they're doing I hardly think they need a third... To be perfectly honest the Unicron trilogy needs some love too Comic wise, there is no point in IDW continuing anything of Dreamwave's G1 universe, but the Unicron trilogy is a whole new ballgame and Furman really had something going there near the end of Energon. Who knows, with the IDW way of doing limited mini-series he might even be allowed to flesh out the Energon universe a lot more rather then just finishing it up by Issue #33 in anticipation of Cybertron starting up.

Heck he didn't even get to use his favorite Grimlock in his Energon body.

Although I must admit Transformers/GI Joe Vol. 2 could really be something different now that IDW's in charge, might even get to see an even bigger story-arc then Dreamwave might have pulled off.

5. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd like to see the DW Unicron Trilogy story completed, or at least wrap-up Energon, but I just think too much time has passed for it to be viable. We're currently 3 series removed from the end of Energon (Cybertron, Movie, Animated) and I just can't see the relevance and interest being there. Granted, we're even further past the end of G1, but that has a larger fanbase than the Unicron Trilogy. I think it might be more reasonable to hope that Furman will do a text ending for Energon (and maybe Age of Wrath) at some point in the future, similar to the "Another Time and Place" and "Alignment" wrap-ups he did for the Marvel stuff.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if IDW goes back and does profile books for the remaining two parts of the Unicron Trilogy, especially if they can somehow get the unused Energon stuff from DW and use a lot of box art for the pictures (like DW did with Armada).

Agreed. IDW has done a far better job with the G1 universe then Mick's string of fanwank-disguised-as-plot, so I'd rather they stick to their own direction and not run two concurrent G1 realities. The TF/GI Joe volume 2 might be worth revisiting but, with the amount of time that's passed they'd likely have to re-release the first issue; if that's the case, it would make more sense for IDW to just do their own TF/GI Joe crossover, rather than finishing a DW story that barely got started. I would like to see more "War Within" style stories, but based in the IDW universe (like Megatron Origin) and not going back to DW.

6. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

To each his own, but I remember most fans practically have internet orgasisms whenever Vol. 3 was released. I enjoyed them myself cause IMO they were the purest mixture of the Cartoon and Comic.

Not that I don't highly enjoy IDW's new take, and I don't realistically expect them to ever pick Mick's G1. I'm just saying what I'd like to see.

Oh come on, nearly everyone was going ape shit for those fanwanks whenever they were released (the same way everyone is for IDW's fanwanks). Its now after all the shit that happened with DW that we're all 'Fuck DW and their stories They suck ass!'.

7. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I think DW's Armada series was the company's best work. But considering all that IDW has going for it, I would highly doubt IDW would even want to revisit Energon. I wouldn't mind seeing it continued, but I'm not holding my breath.

8. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

I'd love to see the Unicron Trilogy in comics form. I really think it's underused and it'd be really interesting to see what IDW would do with it.

Just...let someone besides Furman write it.

9. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If IDW hired Mick to finish Volume 3 I'd be one happy camper.

10. omegafix

omegafix Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    Whats a Dreamwave?? they made TF Comics??

to me the Dreamwave crap never happened, never existed

11. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    . . .

Anyway, I thought Brad Mick was an amalgamation James McDonough and Adam Patyk?

Regardless, I'd love to get an end to all the Dreamwave stuff. Especially the G1 stuff. I found the book was finally hitting it's stride; and seeing Megatron blast Starscream was perfect after over a year of build up.

12. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    I recall IDW saying they'd be open to completeing the DW arcs that were open when the company went into bankruptcy, but legal complications are preventing them from picking up any of it until Dreamwave fixes their financial shit.
    I for one -loved- Energon, we saw characters from Armada and Energon that got shafted in the cartoons doing cool stuff and we weren't that far away from the conclusion. If they finish anything, I hope its Energon (they don't have to do Cybertron...) and War Within. I wouldn't mind a quick ending to Volume 3 of G1 ongoing...but I think it'd just be killing what they were trying to do. GiJoe...well, it had potential, I'd like to see where they could've gone with it b/c I enjoyed the first volume from them so much.
    DN