IDW Cybertron is Reborn, What do you want to see?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by ZacWilliam, Jan 24, 2012.

1. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok, so in the IDW comics Cybertron has been completely reborn. This "New Cybertron" has been completely reshaped and reformed physically into a rough, wild and hostile place. More, Cybertronian society is reforming itself as thousands of refugees of all different "species" of Transformers return from long exile among the stars.

Thats a huge and exciting new status quo where almost anything could happen going forward. SOOoo... what would you like to see them do with this Brave New World?

Me?

1) The establishment of multiple distinct "lineages" and Factions with names, origins, histories. We've seen distinct types of NAILS with shared features: ones with digitigrade legs and heads recessed into the body, ones with round orb decorations and coneheadish heads that remind me of Marvel's Nimrod, ones with two heads rising out of one roundish torso, etc... What I'd like is for Barber and Roberts to establish each of these "species" with a history, name, and backstory. Basically to sketch out the main factions and types of TFs to have returned. It doesn't have to be all expresed in the comics, but having planed it will allow them to use it if needed and generally create a deeper world.

2)On this same note... I want to see some of the weird background bots DO something and get names and characterization. So far the only NAILS to get spotlight have had a fairly normal classic G1 aesthetic. I want to see the weird guys matter as more than "OOOooo wierd crowd filler."

3) I want to explore this new planet. I know the focus is gonna be on political strife and reforming civilization but you got a whole "new and different" unexplored and wild planet out there. I want someone to go explore it. I want to see what wierd locations, what Cybertronian flora and fauna move through it. I want the comic to be as much about literal "world building" as society building.

4) Culture. When we are in the new society I don't want to just see politics. It shouldn't all be BB, Prowl, Metalhawk and Ratbat arguing over Leadership. I want to see what sort of art is being created and consumed. What kind of entertainment do they have? Plays? Movies? Celebrities? (Rosanna please?) Is there a commercial economy forming? What's that like? Is Swindle a big name in a "Merchants Guild?" Or Hubcap? Bassically, TF comics tend to focus very strongly on "Who's leading" and much less on what the life of everyone else on Cybertron is like. Now, I don't want it to be all kitchen drama or something, it needs to be exciting, but I want us to see that greater culture, society and world exist. It makes the whole thing deeper, more fun, and more real.

Ok, so what are you hoping to see?

-ZacWilliam, had an Anthropology/Archeology minor in college and cant help but long for this stuff. :) 

2. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

I want to see the re-building of Maccadam's Old Oil House.

3. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I'd like to see some political stuff going on - I want to see a Decepticon (not Ratbat) rise up and begin their own following (much like Megatron did) and get us, the readers, to actually be torn on what side we think is right - Bumblebee and his "old ways", or this Decepticon and his "new ways" ... both with positives, and obviously, negatives.

I wouldn't be surprised if this new sect of Decepticons bears the G2 insignia, as a testament to being a "new generation of Decepticons". Or better yet, the formation of new allegiances, new groups.

I just don't want to see 6 issues of Bumblebee and Prowl bitching about how hard it is to rebuild society and how much they think Rodimus is a dick.

4. Hellbat

Hellbat ヘルバット

Yes; it would be interesting to see more of Jhiaxus "experimental subjects" and especially how the general Cybertronians view them.

But I'd like to see an issue that gives some focus to the interesting looking background Transformers (NAIL) that's build like an illustrated interview, like in Batman's "Original Sins" near the ending where the host interviews the citizens about Batman's enemies.
    I also want to see Thundercracker and Blaster again.
    And I want to see some Escargon [​IMG]

5. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

Great topic! There's sooooo much potential here.

1)I would like to see more interactions between Transformers and other species...not the usual small squishy types like Humans or Nebulans, more like species that are closer to their "equals". We've had lots of hints that TFs aren't very well loved in the galaxy, and that they often face distrust and fear from other species and governments. I would like to see this explored a little more. Surely the sudden influx of thousands of Cybertronian ships is going to be noticed by nearby planets, and they probably won't be terribly happy about the development. And some of the alien characters from the past have been fun characters in their own right; the Admiral and Garnak from the Ongoing were very minor characters but were way more interesting than most of the main cast.

2)How about some new and interesting things done with character relationships. Now that the Bots and Cons are more concerned with defending themselves against the NAILs than each other, how are they going to interact? It would be cool to see some unexpected friendships or rivalries develop between TFs who have spent millennia dodging bullets on opposite ends of the battlefield.

I had interpreted the different body types of the NAILs to be the result of evolution after eons away from Cybertron. Everything up til now has suggested that the humanoid body type is the default look for the species. I figured that once they were away from Cybertron, the refugees would build new TFs with the shape and abilities to best suit whatever environment they were in, which resulted in the different bodies we see now. That was my gut interpretation, but considering that IIRC we haven't ever seen any new TFs being created in the IDW continuity, maybe you're right and the species has always been this varied.

But that brings up another neat idea...if there were lots of different races/subspecies from the beginning, was it only the humanoid types that started the war? It would be sad if one "race" is solely responsible for destroying the Cybertronian homeworld and civilization, if they're only one of many types of TFs. There could potentially be backlash against the humanoid types because the others might blame them for being the cause of the war. Megatron mentioned apartheid in one of the flashback issues, so that kind of thing isn't unheard of in Cybertronian society.

Holy crap yes! The reformatting of Cybertron has created a ton of potential for exploration. And they can't stay in that little pile of ruins forever, especially if NAILs keep coming and adding to the population. Almost everything we've seen of Cybertron so far has been the same few nearly identical cities, now lets see some wilderness for once! We've been hearing about turbofoxes for decades, I want to know what they look like, dammit! :lol 

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  6. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    I want to see the rebuilding of Cybertron be a miserable struggle. Their planet is in shambles with no natural resources left on it. I want to see these people have to deal with that.

One of the nice things Shane McCarthy did was help expand on the greater galactic community beyond humans and cybertronians; and James Roberts took the ball and ran with it during Chaos Theory as the Autobots mused on what to do with the captive Megatron and under whose authority he should be tried. Now that all these cybertronians are coming home, i think it'd be awesome to see a pan-galactic armada form a blockade around Cybertron, fencing them in so they can't leave and spread their war to the stars again. Be interested to see how that would play out.

7. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Based on the opening page of the first RID comic (where the planet automatically attacks an oncoming ship, as a form of natural defense), I'd like to see Cybertron's become sentient and view the inhabitants as a danger to it. After all, their battle had already destroyed Cybertron before.

Cybertron will view them as an infection of sorts, and try to drive them off. The Autobots will try to "convince" Cybertron that they have good intentions and want peace, the 'Cons will try to infiltrate the core/brain and take control of Cybertron as the ultimate weapon.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  8. IaconStargazer

IaconStargazer Maximal

All of these are interesting ideas, but something got me wondering: With Cybertron now in a (re)primordial environmental state, is it possible that natural energon might come back? Granted, I don't think it's been stated in this continuity just how long it had originally existed, but this planetwide reset could possibly bring genuine energon back into existence.

Who knows - maybe that signal Vector Sigma sent out during this event had a sort of energon aspect to it...

9. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    first thing i wanna see? MORE SKY LYNX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    secondly, i agree with Zac, and would love to see what the planet itself is like now, has wild animal life returned to cybertron? was it ever gone to begin with? is the culture rebuilding?

also, whatever happened to Garnack? if he did survive the events of Chaos, the poor dude must be starving cuz i don't think there's much for an organic creature to eat on cybertron.

[​IMG]

10. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I would enjoy learning more about the unalligned. NAIL is so offensive... :p 

But I am also quite enjoying the story right now. The struggle to learn how to coexist is, to me, very interesting.

Another thing I would also love fleshed out is the flora and fauna. Other than Transformers there seems to be practically no other life. I want to believe this is actually a world where there is life other than Bots and Cons. Show me a natural environment on Cybertron with everything that entails.

11. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We've seen hostile plants in issue 1 and Turbofoxes in MtMtE but I 100% agree.

Seeing more of the flora and fauna out there would go a HUGE way to making Cybertron seem like a realworld and an interesting place.

There certainly are enough official in canon mechanimals for them to choose from: The Cybertronic Bestiary by ZacWilliam on deviantART

-ZacWilliam, hasn't even gotten to them all yet. ;) 

12. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wouldn't mind seeing some survivors out there in the "Wilderness". learn how those bots have survived since the planet has become primordial.

13. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Mabye an Autobot fall in with the cons or at least sympathize. Or a Nail or Con go over to another faction.