IDW Continuity

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by ErbFan28, Oct 3, 2012.

1. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm a fan of continuity in stories like many of you. Right now, I'm in the process of reading the entire IDW G1 Continuity.

I've read
    -Megatron Origin
    -Spotlight Blurr
    -Spotlight Shockwave
    -Spotlight Cliffjumper
    -All Hail Megatron
    -The Last Stand of the Wreckers
    -Bumblebee
    -Spotlight Prowl
    -Transformers Ongoing (1-6)
    -The Death of Optimus Prime
    -MTMTE 1-3
    -A few others I can't think of at the moment

Obviously I haven't read alot of comics in between, but I do have the majority of them (Volumes 1-6 of the hardcovers. Pre-ordered 7)

My questions - Is there really any true continuity from the beginning of the run(Infiltration?) to the latest issue of MTMTE and RID? Have the story arcs made an impact on the following stories? Did any of what happened during Furman's run make an impact on the more recent issues like MTMTE, RID, the previous ongoing? I guess a better way the ask would be: Is there a domino effect between the first issue and the last issue?

2. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

Furman's "-Ation" series, Stormbringer and all his Spotlights tied in very well. AHM essentially started out as a soft reboot, but in later issues tried to tie it to a couple of Furman's storylines. Most of Furman's loose ends were wrapped up in Maximum Dinobots.

Costa's ongoing follows AHM very smoothly. Bumblebee, Ironhide, Drift and Heart of Darkness all tie in to Costa's run. Last Stand of the Wreckers takes place roughly around this time and ties in very well to MTMTE.

Death of Optimus Prime bridges the gap between Costa's ongoing and MTMTE and RID. MTMTE and RID have both referenced things throughout IDW's continuity as far back as Infiltration when Ratchet uses one of his facsimiles.

3. Gridlock1987

Gridlock1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    At the time, Drift Mini didn't tie to anything, they just tried to cash in on the new character, while he was still fresh. Only now, with MTMTE his story is important.

4. MissingSea

MissingSea Slightly Insane

In addition to this, both Roberts and Barber are doing their best to fill in some of the plot holes that have cropped up because of the AHM, and to a lesser extent Ongoing, soft reboots. Examples would be where characters have been shown to have died, but then shown up alive at a later date.

5. Jalaguy

Jalaguy Crusadercon

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Also, there's a Robots in Disguise side-story revolving around Shockwave's Regenesis project from his Spotlight.

6. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I read all comics. There is a continuity. When the new comics The Transformers start, it feels like a new continuity starts all over a sudden, but then it actually fits the old continuity again.

But all the comics from the start, including the ...ion issues, the Spotlights and everything after All Hail Megatron are really worth reading.