IDW Comics......how do they work?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Crimson Primus, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Crimson Primus

Crimson Primus Deceptinut

Just recently started to get into the comics, and I am looking at my shelf right now just to notice something weird. I have Volume 1 Infiltration, 1 Spotlight (shockwave cover) , and Volume 3 Escalation. So what the heck happened to volume 2 and what is it. Keeping in mind these are the thick 160 page issues. I dont understand how their system works. I heard that devastation was just recently released....do they issue out the smaller chapters first and then release the big book later...cause I cannot find the big book anywhere. And do they do the same thing with the Spotlight series too....release them individually then later on put them all in one book?

Help a noob to comics out :) 

2. Baltan

Baltan Space Ninja

You missed Stormbringer, which is Volume 2 of the IDW storyline.

3. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, in comics, the individual issues are released first before the "big books" or trade-paper back (also known as trades or tpb) are finally released.

4. decepticon665

decepticon665 the amazing bored-man!

1-infiltration
    2-stormbringer
    3-devestation
    spotlight issues fit at various points in the continuity.

5. Crimson Primus

thanks for the help guys.....about how long does it take for them to release the trade-paper backs?

6. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

Eh? Wait a sec.... so where does "Escalation" fit in? I don't really know the comics, or ANY comics, very well, I'm afraid. But I assumed the order was "Infiltration," "Escalation," and "Devastation."

But I had no idea where Stormbringer fit in. :p 

7. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    With IDW, it's about 2 months after the last serial issue comes out before they put the whole of a mini-series in trade, depending on the material. Since TFs are such a hot property right now, TPBing the comics got them on 'real' bookstore shelves (like Barnes and Noble) that much faster.

-Tony!

8. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

WhiteMocha, never fear! You are correct, "Escalation" comes prior to 'Devastation". I, too, was not for certain where "Stormbringer" came into play since I have not read it in a while in context with the newer stuff, so I'll take the word of my fellow fans.

9. Crimson Primus

yep...Barnes is were I picked all of them up at.

10. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    IDW's coming out with the "Transformers: Premiere Edition"

its got Infiltration, Stormbringer, Escalation, Spotlights v1 [shockwave, nightbeat, hot rod, sixshot, ultra magnus]

500 pages [hardcover too i think]

anyway yeah

i think so far the only thing you're missing is Escalation

Devastation just started so you can still catch up on the individual issues. it'll be a little while before the trade of that comes out

there's also some more spotlights you're missing too [and they're collected in trades as well]

vol 1 of that is shockwave, nightbeat, hot rod, sixshot, and ultra magnus
    vol 2 is Soundwave, Kup, Galvatron, Optimus, and Ramjet [Ramjet hasnt came out yet so that means the trade of this is probably a little far off as well]

it might all sound a little confusing but there's sites that have all this stuff pretty well mapped out as well

id recommend checking this one out. its probly the most comprehensive i can think of off the top of my head

http://tfarchive.com/comics/idw/

IDW's main continuity is getting to be large and very interesting, but its not too hard to catch yourself up if you really wanna

its also best to read the series in order of publication, not in order of the stories actual chronology. Its meant to unfold how its published

hope it all helps :D 

TF comics rule xD

11. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The correct order is Infiltration, Stormbringer, Escalation, Devastation. By the way we have a comic book forum where you can get the correct answer right away.

12. Yigal

Yigal Dutch Meeting camera man

Ebay:
    I have them here and the correct order is:

1) Infiltration
    2) Escalation
    3) Devastation

Spotlights and Stormbringer are side-storys that give an extra dimension to the three above. If you didn't read the Spotlights you're not missing anything essential. It's cool to read them, nothing more. If you don't have Stormbringer, i would say: BUY THE TPB TODAY!! It's a very cool side-story.

13. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Stormbringer fills in a few blanks along the way - it also sets up a few plot threads which are picked up later, it explains what happened to Cybertron, and it also ties into Spotlight Galvatron, which in turn fits into Devastation in a small way.

Best way is to read all the side stories, like the Spotlights and Megatron Origin, because they really flesh out the universe and fit in some nice details. All the spotlights up to Shockwave are beginning to tie in now - some just by those characters being in the series, but then you've got Spotlight Sixshot which features a group of characters who're also appearing in Devastation. The Sixshot Spotlight gives some characterization to the guy as well as setting all this up.

14. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

Yeah check out the Megatron Origin it is pretty good. I get the final issue today. :) 

15. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    I found Megatron:Origin pretty boring... the worst of the main IDW-verse lot yet.

16. Johnator

Really? I haven't finished the final issue but I have found the series to be pretty good. I liked the introduction of Soundwave, Constructicons, etc. To each their own I guess.

17. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Well, the main order is (as others have said):

1) Infiltration
    2) Escalation
    3) Devastation (no TPB yet)

There's currently two mini-series out that expand the story and universe.

1) Stormbringer
    2) Megatron Origins

Stormbringer takes place during Infiltration and expands on a lot of the universe while also filling in some gaps in things. It also shows you what Prime's been up to as well during that time. Also, as someone else mentioned there's the added bonus that a lot of this stuff ties into Galvatron's spotlight as well...

Megatron Origins is pretty good and gives you a lot of background information on Megatron and the Decepticons as well as giving you an interesting look at Sentinel Prime. Obviously, it takes place before everything else. The trade for this should be out in December.

There's a set of 10 spotlights total right now and they're all basically little side stories.

1) Shockwave, Nightbeat, Hot Rod, Six Shot & Ultra Magnus:
    - A lot of this takes place either prior to Infiltration or during it and fills in some gaps in the IDW's TFU, sets up a little bit of some hints to what we started to see in Escalation, and also setting up for some stuff that's starting to happen in Devastation (also some stuff that's being followed in other Spotlights).

2) Soundwave, Kup, Galvatron, Optimus Prime & Ramjet:
    - Again, a lot of this takes place during or after the events in Escalation and sets up for (what I'm assuming) will probably be future events that will either happen during Devastation or whatever mini-arc follows afterwords. Unfortunately, Ramjet's spotlight isn't due out until November of this year so the trade probably won't even be out until February or March... maybe later depending on IDW (sometimes they push their trades back).

There's also a third set of Spotlights coming out, but only three characters have been announced of the five so far (Blaster, Arcee and Grimlock) and they won't start being released until January 08 so a trade of those is a long way off.

18. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    To me, there's little to no actual CHARACTERS in Megatron: Origin. Just a bunch of robots acting like some cut-out stereotypes at best. Plus, the portrayal of Soundwave, Grimlock and possibly also Ratbat kinda doesn't match up with their depiction in -ation or the Spotlights thus far.

That, and the busy art and the coloring that's all over the place, particularly in issue #3. Sure, for those guys who just want Transformers comics to be bright, colorful slugfests of hundreds of robots beating the crap out of each other, the likes of Megatron: Origin or Stormbringer (or Beast Wars: The Gathering/The Ascending) are probably just perfect.

To those like me, who prefer characterization, decent plotting, good visual storytelling and art that isn't crammed with so many thick lines that you can barely make out what's going on in half of the panels, -ation and some of the Spotlights (particularly those with Nick Roche art) are pretty satisfying.

The Optimus/Megatron battle in Escalation #5 almost made me wet my pants. Those giant slugfests in Megatron: Origin or Stormbringer, on the other hand, leave me cold.

19. Johnator

I did just finish the final issue. I do prefer those above mentioned storytelling aspects as well though I seemed to find them. I do agree that the coloring is all over the place and I also found the issues to have TOO much detail into each panel but overall I thought the story did develop nicely however it was short. I do respect your opinion though and I also liked the fight in Escalation as well. When the Autobots all unload on Megatron and he is just standing there that was all kinds of good action. The dialogue between Prime and Megatron was exceptional as well.

20. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm having the same problem as Nevermore. Stormbringer and Origins just left me cold.

I think it's because there's TOO MANY characters in Stormbringer and only a fraction get any development (or even get called by NAME) whatsoever. Normally a huge cast of Transformers wouldn't bother me, but they all had "pre-earth" modes, and many were unrecognizable.

Origin also suffered because of all the "pre-earth" forms, and crowds of random robots. I couldn't tell whether I was supposed to know them or not, because of the murky colors and the blasted "pre-earth" form combined with, yep, not getting called by name.

Beast Wars is suffering a LITTLE, but the vibrant colors make identifying the characters easier, but man, I wish they'd use the old comic cliche for once and introduce characters instead of throwing them into splash pages.

Chris