IDW Comic ???

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Darth Rodimus, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

I did appreciate the nod to G1 Marvel comics with Spider-Man webbing up Megatron a la issue 3's cover.

But yes, Transformers vs. DC = make it happen.

2. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Ramjet has only appeared in Stuart Moore's stories, though. He wrote both Spotlight Ramjet and the Avengers crossover. Spotlight Ramjet is in Furman's storyline continuity because they show scenes from Escalation as "Meanwhile..." type scenes.

I think some of you guys have confused continuity with canon. Continuity is what people are talking about here, as if the story fits into the then-current IDW G1 continuity. Canon is about whether it is an official part of Transformers, and due to a lack of a canon policy, pretty much everything ever officially approved by Hasbro or its partners is canon.

3. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I know Ramjet:spotlight is in continuity with the rest of IDW's TF books, the question is if the Cross over book with the Avengers is...and so far I've havent seen anything to indicate that it is.

4. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Hmmm... that makes sense, as I hated both Spotlight:Ramjet and the Avengers Crossover.

What does it take, I wonder, to get paid to write comics professionally? Both those stories are pretty weak.

Incorrect. "Canon" is not exclusively Hasbro's domain. Hasbro has their so-called canon of officially sanctioned materials, but they couldn't really care less how they all interact. However IDW has their own canon, as does the TF Animated line, or Marvel UK. Something that is "canon" for the TF cartoon is not necessarily canonically accepted for the Marvel Comic, or for Animated, and so on...

In this context, one could consider "canon" and "continuity" to be synonymous terms. It's pointless to argue canon outside of continuity, so making that distinction is really just a waste of time.

zmog

5. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

just my opinion people

short of spotlight ramjet the avengers crossover storyline was complete and utter garbage

you couldn't make me touch that book with a 10 foot pole

6. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I hate to break it to you "ZMOG" but he's not that wrong.Technically your both right but it is because the word "CANON" has taken on new meaning as it pertains to modern fictional works.

Originally the word "Canon" applied to books of the Bible as such...

the books of the Bible recognized by the Christian church as genuine and inspired.

any officially recognized [by the church] set of sacred books.

The word "canon" originally meant the books that the Catholic Church officially chose to be included in the Bible, it means the authoritative "holy writ" of the Catholic faith.

So in a sence the word "Canon" could only be applied tp matarials that are officially sanctioned,.

However, in modern times [particularly starting in the 1960's] The word "Canon" became popular in trying to define events to fictional characters within a fictional world was derived from the concept of a literary canon.

So "Canon" got a new defintion

any comprehensive list of books within a field.

the works of an author that have been accepted as authentic
    :

With the advent of public domain characters,copy right and trademark laws and the "RETCONING" and re-tellings of fictional characters and their origins the word "Canon" has again taken on new meaning.

any comprehensive list of books within a field by the property owner

authentic works on a body of fiction published by the property owner.

So while you can chose to use the word any way you like....it is more commonly used by those that publish the stories as "works of fiction that have been officiated by the property owner".

While the word "Continuity" has taken up the meaning of a continuing story line.

7. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    I go by the most reliable definition for Transformers, and that is whether it was officially approved or not. Everything is canon to something or just to themselves (being a micro-continuity).

I don't see the distinction as a waste of time, especially when you deal with as many continuities as I do for a hobby.

8. SMOG

This is the meaning I'm referring to, since the religious-specific original meaning doesn't exactly apply... hey, I'm a fan, but I'm not that serious about Transformers. ;) 

See, this is my point though... each Continuity must have it's own "canon", it's own "Bible". It may be sub-compartmentalized, but the concept still applies. Transformers is one of the more diverse and convoluted fictional canons... perhaps moreso than even mainstream Marvel or DC comics, due to the multiple competing "texts" that contribute to the various "sub-canons" (if you will).

See, that's what I mean. Since each continuity has it's own official canon, it's pointless to distinguish where something is "canon" or "continuity" since they effectively mean exactly the same thing.

And as an aside, despite the Hasbro copyright, I can barely think of another fiction where "officially approved" has less meaning. Even within the sub-canons TF lore is so contradictory (or just outright stupid), officiality is about as helpful for establishing "canonical law" as most of the fanon out there...

...which is to say, not really at all. :) 

To say nothing of the "fanon" that becomes "canon" through the various comic books, convention material and toy copy that gets tossed out there...

zmog

9. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I find it easyer to say that every continuity, cartoon ,comic,toy bio or what ever is "Canon" and has its own continuity.

The reason I feel this way is because the time is fast approaching when many of the characters that we know and love will become "Public Domain" characters like Peter Pan.

Meaning other publishers with be capable of telling "Superman" stories.....just an example.

When that happens....The word "Canon" will take on new meaning again.And I believe it will stand for "body of work best known by its publishers and of creators".

But thats just my opinion.

10. Wodicus

Wodicus Active Member

Agreed. I really hope someday to see a well written mini-series along these lines, though I doubt it will be well written if it ever happens.

11. SMOG

Again, this still means that the terms can be used interchangeably based on preference... therefore making the distinction isn't really that useful.

By that logic, and in that case (though that day is still far away for Transformers), we would then have an "Animated Canon", and a "Marvel Canon", and a "Beast Wars Canon" etc... since all of those sources represent different creators and publishers (regardless of the fact that all were sanctioned by Hasbro).

My point is that we already sort of have that now. "Continuity" suggests an internal narrative progression. "Canon" suggests what belongs in each continuity from an outside perspective. But ultimately it becomes about the same things...

zmog

12. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    After four issues of All Hail Megatron and wondering how Sunstreaker is apparently not a Headmaster, how Reflector is alive, how the Insecticons are on Earth, why half of the Autobots and Decepticons have taken new -yet similar alt modes, I am not going to waste a second trying to figure out how Spider-man and Doctor Doom fit in.

It's funny, as "throw away" as Avengers\Transformers was, it at least attempted to fall in Furman's continuity in the way the Decepticons sowed unrest among nations and the general design of the Transformers.

All Hail Megatron does none of that.

13. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Which is why I said you were "BOTH" right.

14. SMOG

Not disagreeing with you. Just expanding on the general ideas you raised.

zmog

15. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I've expanded enough....damned insulin makes me hungry:popcorn .