IDW Collection question

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Torque, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    So with the new MTMTE and RID coming out, I've felt compelled to get the IDW Collection. only thing is, I've heard some less than favorable things about IDW, and with how awesome MTMTE was, I'd hate to be massively disappointed.

That said, I have the All Hail Megatron complete set thing. loved it, though mildly confused about some things, so I kinda wanna see the rest of the stuff.

So-worth the purchase?

2. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

Lemme ask you this: why won't you buy the IDW collections? Volumes 1-4 have the -ations, which were the best comics before Last Stand of the Wreckers. The only thing bad I can find in the IDW collections is the Avengers/Transformers crossover.

3. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    Well I'd only get 1-4, skipping 5 cause its just All Hail Megatron. Only thing is, iunno if i wanna drop $200 to get all of it, ya know? Then again, I'm not sure if thats a good deal. I'm that lost lol

4. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like a lot of the Spotlights a lot too. Maybe get the first one, read it to see if you like it, then go from there?

5. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

Many fans already have. In fact, the fans who have followed IDW since the beginning have spent more on paperback trades than you will if you buy the IDW collections. After all, aren't you a completeist?

6. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    lol how'd ya know? One of the problems is, I AM a completist. Which means I'd want to get #5. Which i basically already have.

And I'm aware that the HC is more cost effective... Heck, I give-im gettin it lol.

7. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    Just ordered it, can't wait for it to get here tomorrow =]

8. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    just finished it-WOW much better than I'd expected, though slower than i thought too. now I'm just itching to get #2-and since I got it on Amazon, I can get each copy for only $30 :D 

Totally lost on Nightbeat though, why is he so out of place?

9. nemesisconvoy

nemesisconvoy Gundam Pilot

I'm missing Metroplex, Prowl, Jazz and Drift from the spotlight series.

10. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

#2 is great. It's when Furman's storyline for the IDWverse really gets going.

11. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It'll come around :)  then you'll have to go back and read it again and you'll go, ”oh!!”

12. WoundSave

WoundSave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i just started getting into these in the summer, having not really bought any comics since Image's Spawn 30 (or there abouts).

I now have pretty much everything from AHM forward. I didnt have any expectations going into the series, and was basically just happy to be reading transformers comics that were current, modern illustrations and themes. I dont read to disect the literature/comic, but to enjoy. I dont scan for inconsistencies, or question whether every line fits perfectly in terms of characterization. (which, IMO, is sort of pointless given the variety of continuities and interpretations of transformers over the years.)

Ive been really happy with them, keep rereading them from AHM to present. If im confused about something that happened (especially before AHM) i just look up that character on tfwiki to get a sense of the plot development.

another thing worth mentioning is that IDW hs encouraged each artist to interpret the characters and not just rely on g1 80's cartoon interpretations- while this has lead to inconsistencies in character design, characterization, and plot - it also suggests a healthy creative relationship between IDW and the artists/writers.

i think people that poopoo the IDW line as worthless are maybe going into reading it with high expectations, either being too partcular about staying true to some other continuity or too nostalgic about the original Marvel comics.

anyways- once i can afford it i plan to do as you ar doing now, and get IDW collections 1-4. From AHM forward, the autobots have divorced themselves from Earth, saved Cybertron, and left us off with 2 very promising ongoings.

13. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    only thing is, i dont think i have the patience to wait and see 7. will probably start trying to find the regular versions of the ongoing in 2011

Just got number 4 set up for my birthday, will be purchasing 2-3 in the mean time lol