IDW Classic Transformers TPBs Question

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Deceptijohn, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster.

I want to read the G1 comics and after doing some research I decided on the IDW release over the Titan due to more issues per volume. Then I go scope out amazon and volumes 1, 4, 5 and 6 are all readily available and reasonably priced, but volumes 2 and 3 are hella expensive. A google search didn't lead me to any better prices so I'm wondering what gives? Why are two of the volumes seemingly more expensive? If I fill the gap with titan books I miss some issues so any info would be most appreciated.

BTW I saw the non-TF comics board, but didn't see one for TF comics so if this is in the wrong board I apologize.

2. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Basically because they are harder to find. I got Vol 2 a year ago for a decent price and passed on vol. 3 because I thought it would be easy to get later...now it isn't. I am hoping they will reprint some of these volumes in the future, but I doubt the interest is there

3. Deceptijohn

News Credits:
    I guess I was wondering why, if they produced the same number of each volume, vols 2 and 3 sold more than the rest? I figure anyone interested would get the set so why just those two?

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I would reccommend the titan books because they actually print the issues with marvel content.

5. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Comics always have a lower print run for the 2nd and sometimes 3rd issues because they play it safe until they have secure numbers from 1st issue sales. Though I wonder why they don't do reprints.

6. Deceptijohn

News Credits:
    Well it's not like it's a first run or anything where they have to gauge the market for the material. It just seems counter-intuitive to me, but then I know sod all about the publishing biz.

After crunching the numbers available It's looking like I'll have to get IDW#1, Titan 4-8 and then IDW#4-6. Puts me just north of $100 total. Going all titan would cost $218...

7. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Has to due with the market (it's really weak) and distribution channels. My friend just got down with a series that did ok for an indy book by IDW but they had to finish the series with the original creator (or license holder) paying her and the rest of the production team because 15,000 copies sold of "The Last Unicorn" didn't warrant IDWs policy of paying minimum 3k to creators. IOW there isn't a lot to money to be made and the risk is higher then it was in the 90s to gauge a market. Just got done reading some stuff on Shout! Factory and it's pretty scary there too as far as a numbers run.

8. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Get the Titan books. They're dirt cheap on ebay, and you don't miss out key issues like #3, #9, #22-23.

True, Titan also missed out a couple of issues but they were either not in (US) continuity (#33-34), or irrelevant adaptations of TV episodes like #43.

9. Deceptijohn

News Credits:
    The totals I listed above were calculated by taking the cheapest copy of each book+shipping from amazon. Some of those titan books are not cheap on amazon. A couple were $20+ and one was $31! My brother-in-law is a serious comic nerd, so I'm going to talk to him to see if there are any outlets I haven't checked. Might even go plead my case at the only comic shop left in town. I've already ordered the 1st IDW book. $10 for 300+ pages? Yes please.