IDW & Circuit Breaker - something changed?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Magnus' Mate, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not owning any of the "Classic" IDW reprints, I'm acting on what others have said, but...

we all know that due to licensing issues, IDW were unable to reprint any TF issues with Circuit Breaker e.g. 3, 22, 23 and 45. These spanned vols 1-3 of their "Classic" reprints. Text summaries were used instead.

However, recent blurb from IDW over their latest Classics volumes specifically mentions stories such as "The Human Factor" and "On The Edge of Extinction" which clearly include Circuit Breaker. So my question - has anything changed, or were these stories seen as so vital to the saga that Marvel grudgingly allowed permission? Were they exempt some other way? If things HAVE changed, and IDW can now use CB, do you think they'd reissue the first three volumes and include the missing issues? (and tick off a lot of fans in the process no doubt!)

Just something I was curious on... wonder what's changed?

2. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    I was actually wondering the same thing. I flipped thru the latest volume (4?) at the comic shop the other day and saw not only Circuit Breaker, but also the other Neo Knights. I thought they were all Marvel's property, thus off limits. Guess somebody changed their mind.

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Hmm, the versions I saw, when an issue had a "marvel" character in it, they instead printed a one or two page text blurb outlining the plot with a few pictures of the events from the issue, without the marvel character.

Maybe in later editions they've made a deal with marvel though.

4. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Maybe Marvel realized that the only way to make money off these characters is to sell the rights -so they did?

I don't know.

5. WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit Uncounted Outlier

News Credits:
    I believe Marvel's just allowing IDW to do the reprints now. Doubt this would extend to use of the characters in new material and whatnot.

6. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

Titan only got the Spider-Man issue because they were already very tight with Marvel in reprinting other stuff... at a guess the earlier CB issues could now be added as a bonus to a future reprint volume, on the basis of whatever new understanding has been reached. (Sometimes with these things it's a simple as a staff shift at the company that controls the licensing.)

My suggestion'd be to write to IDW editorial bods and make it clear you'd like to see as much omitted material included in a future reprint volume.

edit:

And with the rest of the Neo-Knights, as I understand it their status is closer to G.B. Blackrock. Furman wanted to do a follow-up series, but there isn't a claim of the kind Secret Wars makes to ownership of the characters by Marvel.

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Volume 5 had the Neo-Knights and such with no Marvel edits.