IDW announces Visionaries vs. Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Boatformer, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

So this chick butchering Ironhide on the cover is a new design for Virulina?

Well, I can barely recall the original cartoon but Google tells me that at least the shark totem is the same.

Still don't care.

But it's really nice to know names of characters about whom I don't care.

• Like Like x 1
  2. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:

It is better than me I didn't even know the existed and I watched the first episode. I doubt even kids knew what the word "syncophant" is describe one the characters.

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Im down with this new style, and curious to see how the story turns out. It's not like they were doing much with the brand beyond this.

4. Darth Gonzo

Darth Gonzo Active Member

Okay let me said this here and now you no onw here has read the comics yet so you can\'t say that you hate this based on what it looks like because that\'s judging a book by it\'s cover, also you\'ll blaming the writer of the comic for the designs and not the artist, Fico Ossio. He said in an interveiw as to why the Visionaries look this way.

\"Ossio has gained a deep understanding of IDW’s Hasbro comics universe as the artist on the Revolution and Revolutionaries crossover series, but he’s mostly working with set character designs in those book and doesn’t get to show off the full range of his creativity. Because the Visionaries characters aren’t nearly as popular, he has the freedom to bring more of his own distinct style into their new designs, and these exclusive character models highlight his ability to combine futuristic tech elements into classic armor pieces that have a distinct silhouette.\"

So no he wasn\'t going for a \"tribal style\" that you all call it, he was just trying to help make them cooler because they aren\'t as well know as all of the other Hasbro franchises. And this makes more sense because they are on an alien world they won\'t look like knights from Earth. The Visionaries still have the same powers as the original ones, if you guys can\'t except his reasons for the new designs then why are you fans of Transformers? Transformers don\'t always look like the G1 versions so why should the Visionaries?

5. dragon_lord

dragon_lord great dragon god

I've read the entire thread, and nobody is saying that they hate the comic as in of itself just for the designs, we're saying we don't like the designs and that it would've preferable for the older fans to have designs closer to the originals. That being said, people here aren't blaming the writer on designs, people are being vocal about Magdalene Visaggio because of her behavior.

Just because he said he was aiming for a futuristic look, it doesn't mean that that's the result we see in this designs, you just can't slap cybernetic-patterned tattoos into something and call it futuristic, not the mention the "classic armor pieces" that looks more like gear bikers wear with the exception of (maybe) Leoric.

To be fair neither did the originals :D 

Half the powers since Ossio has decided to (apparently) match the staff powers with their chest totems. To address your last question, Transformers to some extend still bare resemblance to their old counterparts, not always but usually, if you take Virulina for example the only resemblance she has to her older version is that is a woman, has a shark totem and has pinkish armour which wasn't even her colors in the old series, they're were way more darker.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    He's not criticising racial diversity, he's criticising poorly designed token characters in a book just so the writer can tick off the box for having a black character. There are well designed black characters and poorly designed black characters. Just being black doesn't make them immune to criticism if the character is poorly designed.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    The two of you knock off the bickering. This is your one warning, take it to PMs or just drop it altogether otherwise thread bans and infractions will follow.

8. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    I realize that "don't judge a book by it's cover" is a time tested axiom, passed down from parent to child to protect against a litany of sins.

In publishing, the cover exists for exactly one reason...

TO GET YOU TO BUY THE BOOK. :D 

Covers are meant to catch your eye, arouse your curiosity or somehow attract you to picking up a book. It's the literal last chance at the publishing level to try to get you to buy something, to say "Hey, over here!", to part you with your cash.

I would dare say, in a visual medium like comics, not liking the designs is more than enough for some people to not try the book, which is, after all, what is being discussed here. While there are some people who don't care, and will hear "Transformers," and buy the comic, regardless, those fans are becoming fewer and fewer far between. Again, if it works for you, cool. An untried author (on TFs, anyway, I've sampled a couple things she's written and have no strong opinion one way or the other) coupled with a talented, tho' very fond of busy detail artist, taking on what is again, to me, a rather dubious premise points me more towards the "nah" column. I'll be interested to see what other people think, of course... and if the mini is amazing, I'll happily check it out after the fact. But if we go too far down the "you can't judge it before it's published" hole, you can't LIKE something before it's published, either. Just some food for thought.

I think we'd all be a bit better served by listening to each other's opinions (pro and con) instead of trying to write them off.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

^This.

TBH, if you take the phrase "don't judge a book by it's cover" as "don't act on your first impression" in regards to any commercial product (especially when it involves entertainment) then this axiom simply fails.

First impression is important in advertisement. There's no moral duty or obligation for consumers to spend on any entertainment if the first impression isn't enticing for them.

Same like using arguments in line with "please, continue buying books from a publisher/creator XYZ even if you don't enjoy them".

When it comes to fairly unimportant things like cartoons, comics or toys, things that we buy only for entertainment... The first time we feel that they no longer amuse us is probably the time to consider if we should keep spending on them.

For an example - I'm still fairly entertained by the Optimus Prime and ROM books, but I've bailed out of quite a few recent Marvel books and these days I'm rather nitpicky about what I read.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  10. agp

agp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why is IDW even doing this? I could see a fairly straight adaptation of the original for some quick nostalgia bucks, but not this kind of effort. Are they desperate? I'm happy for visionaries fans that have been dying for anything from the franchise, enjoy it while it lasts.

• Like Like x 4
  11. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:

The franchise is unknown to me and I probably not a fan. I am not understanding why they are doing this. It is not like Hasbro doesn't own Forgotten Realms and Dungeon & Dragons stuff to write comic books and that would had been more ideal candidate to revive a franchise. I am confused why Transformers are even involve in the Visionaries it's is own premise is basically anti-technology and when magic can work in the world.

• Like Like x 1
  12. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy グーグル 翻訳は素晴らしいです!

News Credits:
    I had lots of the figures as a kid, too. Such a pity IDW used the wrong poem when designing most of their rebooted MASK and Visionaries comics:

• Like Like x 1
  13. primalxconvoy

News Credits:
    Really? Then why are they doing so via a media that ISN'T that pupular with kids? Comics are not that big a deal.

No, Hasbro and IDW dropped the ball with these reboots and crossovers, no matter which side of the debate you are on. They've failed to engage a new/younger audience via an outdated/irrelevant media and/or failed to engage (most) of the older fans by the juxtaposition of new designs in a TF comic that uses designs fairly close
    to the original designs overall.

14. primalxconvoy

News Credits:
    Indeed, but imagine if Transformers hadn't been pupillae for a while and GI-Joe was. Then imagine some genius at IDW "rebooting" TFs as TF Animated (with the same aesthetic) and then popping them, alongside My Little Pony in a G1-Joe comic as it currently looks today.

Nice, eh readers?

15. primalxconvoy

News Credits:
    Which is why a competent writer, with a respect for the fandom and original, could easily have made Leoric simply a younger version and show his journey to the character we know him to be, or focus on another character that has the qualities needed for such storytelling.

Look at the rebooted Thunderheads cartoon. It was magnificent. The attention to detail and the slight changes brought into it to show a more cohesive and detailed direction for the story. I think the only reason it didn't continue was due to the lack of toys sold at the same time, if I remember rightly.

• Like Like x 1
  16. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Because it's the easist to do? And if the comic is recieved well enough Hasbro 'might' do a cartoon?

• Like Like x 1
  17. agp

agp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The most logical train of thought is that IDW paid money for the specific license or the blanket license and think they can make money off it. Hasbro is happy to take money for the use of a dead IP. I don't think there is really any glimmer of a hope that a cartoon will come from this. In the most optimistic of scenarios 15k people read this book. I can't see Hasbro greenlighting anything off that "success".

I have no inside information, so what I'm about to say is pure speculation. I assume that when IDW licensed the properties it wasn't an a la carte scenario. They most likely had to take the whole shooting match in some way. IDW like any business wants to grow and make more money, they think they can accomplish this by using as much of the IP they have already paid for. My understanding is IDW pitched the shared universe to Hasbro. IDW probably pitched that the relative strength of the Transformers comics would help carry the universe and that shared universes are all the rage right now. Hasbro probably figured they had nothing to lose. The licensing money keeps coming in regardless and there is the possibility that the comics license could become more valuable if IDW is successful.

If I'm wrong and IDW paid for each IP individually, they are morons. Don't publishers get into licensed comics because of the established fan bases? I can't imagine the fanbases on properties that have seen nothing new in 30 years are all that great. If they had to buy them all I can't understand why even waste the time and money on the updating and a shared universe unless they're desperate. Straight adaptations for quick nostalgia bucks makes sense if Hasbro would approve it. The nu-GI Joe books have struggled to keep going while the nostalgia book GI Joe ARAH has done better. If that's the case for GI Joe, why would it be different for weaker properties with smaller fanbases. How would shared universe solve anything. I know some people are enjoying it and I'm glad for them. From business stand point, it's been over expansion and only IDW knows how bad it's hurting them.

• Like Like x 2
  18. ron8675309

ron8675309 Exploding Salamander Of Exploding Salamanders

Because I'm both anal and paranoid I made sure to look up the most common definition of pupillae. That word isn't being used in the right context as far as I can tell.

As for the rest of the argument, if Transformers got rebooted in a comic and was not a flagship franchise, I imagine people would care less and not be as butthurt for lack of a better word, but that hypothetical doesn't have any bearing on the subject at hand. The crux of the issue is whether or not one can get behind the Visionaries reboot and for what reasons. That Transformers as a better known brand is being used to springboard the reboot is just a system of delivery for a prospective reboot; it's not integral to Visionaries itself.

19. agp

agp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think that was an auto correct of a misspelling of popular.

I think there is a contingent of fans sick of seeing the Transformers whored out as a springboard.

• Like Like x 3
  20. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Swoopatron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I'm definitely going to try it out. The design elements that I feel personally made Visionaries (granted I only had one toy and read about them through the UK TF backup strip- which I loved) for me were the totem on the chest and a staff with a totem on. And a bit of armour. And a helmet. So for me this looks alright.

Good writing will be the main test though to engage with the new package overall. With the other cross overs (with one honourable exception) the stories are fun but without lasting substance for me personally. Kind of fast foody. Which I enjoy enough but they're not something I will passionately follow in the long term.

I would have preferred them to start this with a Visionaries only story tbh but I get the arguments for pulling in readers through association with Transformers. Hey ho.

But toys...I would love some decent toys. And with proper holograms not tampo'd details or 2D stickers. I only had one as a kid. :( 

• Like Like x 1