IDW announces Visionaries vs. Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Boatformer, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Nemesis251

Nemesis251 Wants 3rd Party Knock Out

As a kid I thought Leoric was Tom Selleck

2. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    IDW did change Matt Trakker's story and personality to fit his race change though. 80s Matt Trakker was an all American father, competent in the ways of business and leadership with his only major flaws being too much of the straight man. IDW Matt Trakker is a young troubled inexperienced teen who's learning to become a more competent leader.

80s Leoric is a competent wise leader and tactician able to turn the tide in any fight he is in with his own strength, conviction and determination... likeable, friendly and approachable with a sense of humour, showing great concern and responsibility towards his own people and innocent people he meets. He is the unshakeable pillar that commands respect even from his enemies.

IDW is likely to strip all that away from him other than being able to kick Cybertronian ass.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    At least IDW Matt Trakker has flaws. Granted, the primary one is "being fucking incompetent," but I'll take that over 80s Matt Trakker whose personality boils down to "has an annoyingly stupid son" and "drives the flying car."

4. ron8675309

ron8675309 Exploding Salamander Of Exploding Salamanders

Personally I don't find any of those changes supremely objectionable, any more than I did the shift from G1 Prime to the inexperienced labor leader Optimus of Animated. None of these situations detracted from the character's role as heroic leader or ruined the franchise forever for me. Obviously the 80s originals will always come first in my heart, but I'm open to newer takes that don't make me absolutely despise the characters. 2011 Thundercats, I'm looking at you.

5. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

I think they're angling initially for a combination of: 1) fans of the writer, 2) fans of the aesthetic, 3) Transformers fans. None of that will hold, so it will all come down to whether there's a deeper hook in the concept and writing. They'll be looking for news stories about how it's a surprise critical hit.

Don't underestimate no.2, by the way - my impression is that there's a huge slice of geekdom that is all about the potential for fanart and cosplay.

This sketch is exactly why characters like Leoric need to be rewritten from the ground up - quite simply, there is zero dramatic potential in the character you've just described. It's a spec that fits the remit of a children's TV show in the eighties, where it was crucially important to pump the property full of fine, upstanding gents so that a violent cartoon could pass for responsible and educational. Outside of that context, it's the kiss of death to your story. No one should be unshakeable - everyone should be compromised, even honourable characters. If Ned Stark hadn't been too rigid and stuffy, GoT would've been a one-series show about him sorting out the kingdom ... etc.

• Like Like x 1
  6. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's evil!"

News Credits:
    That's actually the story I would love to read sometime. When everyone is a villain, a story gets pretty cynical pretty darn quickly. While GoT is entertaining, it needs your heroic Jon Snow or Ned Stark character to keep it from teetering into the trash bin (admittedly, I'm only half way through season 4 right now...started binge watching but it's not something the wife and I can watch with the kiddos so it's a slow grind).

7. Focksbot

I mean, it's fine as a fanfic or 'What if?' but it would have been a pointless and terrible way of writing the series from the get-go. Where's the tension if the hero can do no wrong? I'm not suggesting that everyone needs to be a villain, but they need flaws, which both Ned and Jon have in spades.

8. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

Aren't you the one who argued that an audience should be allowed to forcefully mandate changes to a property to satisfy the audience?

9. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Nah, Ned wasn't that flawed. In terms of Transformers, basically, you had Starscream chopping off the head of Optimus Prime and the next several seasons was Prowl leading an Autobot invasion force against a bickering Decepticon set of rulers while Hot Rod butts heads with Kup in the North while worrying about the Quintessons.

This actually kind of sounds like something IDW would do...which is one of the reasons I'm not much of a fan. Not everything should be GoT...

• Like Like x 2
  10. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am going ask a stupid question. Who are the Visionaries again?

• Like Like x 1
  11. RoadPigJohn

RoadPigJohn Transformers & 80's Cartoon/Figures Fan

12. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    Exactly.

13. dragon_lord

dragon_lord great dragon god

Allegedly this guys

14. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    According to the IDW covers, tribal warriors who REALLY REALLY hate Ironhide.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ron8675309

ron8675309 Exploding Salamander Of Exploding Salamanders

Google exists.

16. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:

I read their wikipedia entry and it seems to I am less likely to read it even after Googling it. Much less care about it. Hasbro is using the Transformers as a vehicle to launch dead or near dead toy lines. It is the same with Mask I haven't picked up that book title in ages much less read it Of the series I might pick up is ROM.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  17. Focksbot

18. Focksbot

Not to get too sidetracked but ...

The whole reason Ned got his head chopped off was because he messed up - that's what made the first season so gripping: watching a character face the worst possible punishment for essentially being a bit too standoffish and rigid. He lost because he failed to compromise enough to make allies when it counted. Even the fact that he lost half his guard was in part down to failing to empathise with Jaime Lannister, a character who - while hugely compromised - desperately wanted someone to recognise the decency in him. Ned decided the lot of them were scurrilous vipers and ended up fighting everyone, even Renly.

All I'm saying is: if he'd been a super-wise, infinitely kindly character, the way Prime is when he's badly written, and the way Leoric was sketched out in his original bio, Game of Thrones would have been a much more boring show. He would've made the right choices, cut the right deals and sorted Cersei out.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    Oh, 80s Leoric is no way invincible, and there is still drama involved. I just don't have faith in IDW's ability to sell me on the new character. I'm asking for the old characters to return with deeper personalities and more expansive stories, like IDW have done with Transformers. Optimus Prime, Megatron, Prowl, Bumblebee and Starscream are still the same characters as they were in the 80s only with deeper personalities and expansive stories. Their 80s selves haven't been rejected or twisted into something unrecognisable. Even though Cyclonus may be different - the old Cyclonus would never have a friendship with Tailgate - he's still the same original Cyclonus. Only deeper and more expansive.

20. Focksbot

OK, I getcha. Well, maybe they'll pull off the same here. I mean, he looks pretty heroic from the get-go.