IDW 100 page spectacular

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Wheeljack30, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

The 100 pages spectacular comic it says every thing from the old comics? Or It would be best if I read the entire 80's comics #1-80 in order to understand Regeneration One #81.

Thanks

2. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, it's just the last four US issues of the original series.
    Regeneration will reference the whole continuity, but I think you'll still be able to read it if you don't get the references.

3. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

I read it a bit, but where's Ironhide, Prowl, Jazz, Brawn etc....

4. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Have you never had experience with G1 Cartoons or Comics? With so many characters, they can only give a certain number "screen time". If the characters aren't dead, they're just somewhere else. It depends on the writer whether or not those characters will show up again or have any role to play whatsoever.

5. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    I hear Circuit Breaker is blacked out on the 100 page book.

6. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Really? Because I'm pretty sure IDW has secured rights to reprint Marvel characters for the Classics reprints.

7. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yep..blacked out, blued out, and a couple of whole pages are cut out.

Prowl is actually pretty prominent in there.

8. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

Do I have to read the old comics from the 80's to understand the 100 pages spectacular and issue #81

9. Sully

Sully Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    100 pages spectacular is bacially the last four old comics. 77, 78, 79 and 80. Only with Circuit Breaker cut out (there might still be some right issues that stopped her bring re-printed or as it's quite an old comic the old master prints could be lost and they are using the most modren reprint which still has her removed).

Get yourself 80.5 and read Simons blog post and a little TFWiki to catch up and you could pretty much skip all of issues 1 to 80. Nothing happening so far is heavily referancing back into the past. Biggest thing to know and it's explained very quickly is a lot of time has passed between issue 80 and 81.

At the moment I'm enjoying issue 81, but I think Simon needs to explain a little better why the Wreakers are all alive. Hopefully we'll get some back story in issue 82.

I'm also hoping Unicron isn't the big bad of the future story. He should stay dead where Optimus Prime left him.

10. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    From all i've read, Simon says that Unicron is definitely dead.
    That's probably unbalanced the universe since the universal evil is now gone..

11. Sully

Sully Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    in 81 we see Prime looking at a star chart Star trek style. In it we see two boxes, it the following "Evil is infinite Optimus Prime. I am coming. To kill you AGAIN". From the Star Chart first a outline of Unicron is there and then it becomes a complete picture of Unicron as he says this to swallowing Optimus Prime.

12. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No it doesn't - Circuit Breaker is included in all IDW's recent rereleases of the Marvel material.

13. Sully

Sully Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you want me to print screen her blacked out body from my iPhone I will. But she's being efectively blacked out. I was looking at it this morning before commenting.

14. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, she is blacked out and missing in a couple of spots.
    It's weird, but only if you're familiar with the original material. I didn't feel like I was missing anything to be honest. For what it is, the 100page is really good value for money, and will sit nicely with the new collection.

15. PrimeOQZ

PrimeOQZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What Magnus pointed out was that the current trades do reprint circuit breaker. I don't think he was doubting you and someone posted a pic of the comic with CB blacked out in another thread.

The question is why the difference in the trades and the 100 pager. Sully, your theory is they are using older print before they had the rights to reprint which seem possible, especially since they are about half way and have not reprinted all the new tpbs yet.

My theory is that since the 100 pager is to catch up NEW readers, it would be confusing to have CB in the recap because they are not allowed to use her for future stories, only in reprints.

16. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

Even though he's using characters that were only featured in the UK Marvel Comics (Ultra Magnus and the Wreckers), apparently Regeneration is only following the US Marvel comics and ignoring UK Marvel Continuity, so this is their first appearance technically.

As for Unicron, my theory is that the scene in issue #81 when Optimus is having visions of Unicron was meant to show that Optimus is having mental health issues and isn't forshadowing an actual return of the Chaos Bringer.

17. Kilowog

Kilowog ORA ORA ORA

Ebay:
    This was invaluable, unlike 80.5, 81 did a poor job of being new reader friendly, had I not read this right beforehand I'd have been pretty lost.

In any case I dug this, solid ending.

18. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

Where do I read Simons blog?

19. Sully

Sully Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    simon furman

Note it does tend to spoil current stuff so somethings its best to read it after you've got the current comics, so beware. But it's good if you're looking for more back story and the reasoning behind him doing things.

His explaination behind the schenes in 80.5 is good.

This is one of their more odd choices for IDW then. But lately they have being treating the digital only buyers worse off. Letters pages are removed from MTME and RID, no adds etc. All this seems some sad attempt to cut down file space but fact is it only adds a few mb to the file size and gives us a more complete read.

In the end I'll still buy them because I'm getting the main story, but it's annoying not to be getting what people buying the actual comic get as I pay just as much.

Back to the 100 spec, it would have being nice not to have had CB blacked out.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  20. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, this is what I meant - the new Classics TPBs have Circuit Breaker in all her glory.