Identifying an old school Asteroids type game

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Toonces, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Toonces

Toonces Domo

Ebay:
    Just wondering if anyone knows what this game was. It was similar to Asteroids, so simmilar that I wouldn't be supprised if it was some sort of sequel.

In it, you basically flew around in space like Asteroids, with similar game mechanics, but the play area covered many times the restricted area in asteroids. I beleive that in addition to asteroids being a danger, there were ships which flew around trying to take you out.

The game also contained something like wormholes, which would transport you into other areas in space, typically walled off, quasi maze like areas, which you had to navigate.

I remember playing this game quite a bit when I was a kid, on the the Commodore 64 I beleive, but for the life of me, I can't remember what this game was. Any ideas?

2. Greenshadow0

Greenshadow0 Well-Known Member

Toonces the Driving Cat lol

Gradius seems too linear to be what you're looking for. :( 

3. Toonces

Toonces Domo

Ebay:
    Nah, definatly not Gradius, but that's a good guess though, thanks. I beleive it's a little older than that.

It had the same exact top down style as Asteroids, just well, more.

4. skywarp

skywarp The extra Autobot

wormholes? I am not sure on that. But I was thinking of malestrom from abrosia software.

5. CyberWolf

CyberWolf Collector of Transformers

Ebay:
    Is it called Star Maze? Link below.

www.c64.com?type=1&id=1390.

Just looking around the site trying to find what best fits the game your describing. If not, try looking through the screen shots they have on the website. Hope it helps you out.

6. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Could it be Blasteroids? It was an official sequel of sorts to Asteroids, had enemy ships, bosses, and power-ups in addition to regular asteroids, and it was definitely released on the C64, among other platforms. I think there might have been warps and some areas with walls too, but my memory isn't too clear on that.

7. Toonces

Toonces Domo

Ebay:
    Thanks everybody, I think I'm on the right track. It was very similar to Star Maze, but you started in space like Blasteroids. The graphics were somewhere in between the two, so I think I have a better idea when it was made.

Been trying to dig up some of my favorate games from when I was little. Quite a few of them I remember the titles of, but this one escapes me. Started playing Below the Root again, and the extremely difficult Transformers game. Found Ghettoblaster and Impossible Mission last night. I had all of these on disk when I was a kid, but most of the disks are damaged now, or just plain missing.

8. Synical

Synical Well-Known Member

Tempest?

9. Toonces

Toonces Domo

Ebay:
    Nah, that isn't it either, thanks though.

I'll figure it out eventually.