Identify my cactus

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gingerchris, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I've had this thing for ages and I have no idea what kind it is. It started out as a tiny scrappy dead-looking nub I got someone to give me because they were going to throw it out. Then one of the 'arms' fell off and it lay on the floor of my conservatory for weeks until for some reason I picked it up and decided to stick it in the soil next to the original rather than just throw it away. Within a week the arm was growing again and became a whole new separate plant. Since then I've regularly broken off arms and planted them and probably made over a couple hundred new cactus which I'll usually sell on my car boot stall. It doesn't flower as such, but the spiny leaf things will turn red or pink in the Spring. They grow fairly fast. The ones in the first photo were planted maybe a couple of months ago from inch-tall pieces.

The original plant is now about three feet tall and still going strong around seven years later. And the first arm I planted is almost about the same. The only downside is it doesn't produce very deep roots and so the weight of itself as it gets taller will occasionally cause it to fall over and I'll have to stand it up and replant it. That's why it's leant against the glass. And see all those arms at the bottom? Every single one of those is a potential new plant.

I'm not much a green-fingered person and I hate general gardening, but I really love this crazy cactus. I just wish I knew what species it is if any planty person here might recognise it.

My current crop of new 'babies':

[​IMG]

The original (there's another one the same sat the other side of the conservatory):

[​IMG]

2. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
  3. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Well, I was kinda hoping to start some kind of general plant-y thread, but thanks for the link too.

4. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That is one gorgeous plant, major congrats!

I love cacti. I had a few when I was younger and left them with my parents for university and whilst I was in Bolivia. Incredibly my parents haven't managed to kill them and my cacti are still going strong. I'm going to have to snap a picture and post it.

5. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I had some venus fly traps when I was little, but they would'nt sing or eat people. :( 

Elephant ear bulbs are fun to plant, they get so big. When you pee on them it all beads up and rolls off.

6. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Thankee. I'd like to take all the credit, or even just some of the credit, but this thing seems to be indestructible. It's the Captain Scarlet of plants.
    Sure. Picture up the thread. :) 
    My mother can't keep a plant alive to save her life. I think she might even be capable of killing my cactus if I let her look at it funny. And yet she loves plants so it's actually kinda cruel for her to keep buying them and then kill them a few weeks later. I try to save as many as I can but she seems to think pruning them will save then and then hacks them up until there's nothing left to recover.
    Heh.
    I did have a Venus Fly Trap once. Grew like mad so I needed to re-pot it into a larger home. But then once I did it quickly died. So sad. :( 
    I... :inquisiti 

7. -Mainframe-

-Mainframe- Well-Known Member

Name that plant Link

I put the last picture in Google's picture search. Link

8. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I think that could make for another interesting Cactus pokemon or an evolved form for Maractus.

9. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

... seriously though, I've always liked this stuff, but always lived in too cold of a climate to really sustain em. It's hot as hell where I'm now, so maybe I can rethink my previous reservations.

10. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    I'm in 'sunny' England. But then my conservatory gets really hot so it's great for plants.

11. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    You can do that with nasturtium too, plus the flowers are edible! Though I don't recommend peeing on any flowers you're going to eat.