Customs: Ideas on Sideswipe and Sunstreaker movie customs.

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by TonyzCustomz, Nov 21, 2007.

1. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I really want to make these guys, they were the first TF I had as a child and remember playing with them all the time. So I was thinking that sideswipe could be the 74' Bumblebee and sunstreaker could be the 2009 one. For heads I think sunstreaker could use longarms had and just paint his mouth plate to look like a battle mask. I am not to sure on sideswipes head though, I am thinking that Alt Skids head would be a nice fit what does everyone think? I am open for input and advice, and please no getting sidetracked.:D  Thanks guys.

2. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Sounds like a good idea. I don't have it in front of me but an Alt Skids head may be a bit too big for a 74 BB body. See if Sculp-bot (I think that is who made it) still has any of his custom Classics Sideswipe head (that he made to fit Classics Rodimus' body), though this might be too small.

3. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sideswipe and Sunstreaker are both getting released in late '08 as part of classics. If you can wait, they'd be a great base for some movie customs...if not, I'd suggest maybe using a Jazz or Swindle for Sunstreaker, as another yellow character wouldn't look different enough from Bumblebee to use either of his molds, IMO.

4. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just popped off skids head and he is just a little too big, maybe if I do a cast of it and just shave him down a bit it might work. I didn't know that they were getting released again, do you have a link to some pics? I don't think that Sideswipe would be very happy as those kinds of cars, I think a repaint of bright apple red would look pretty snazzy, no?

5. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    we don't have any actual pics yet. Hasbro told us at their "future toys" panel at Botcon this year that they were both coming from universe (Classics 2.0) late next year. They'll both share the same mold, but it will be remolded to allow for an alternate transformation of the torso to differentiate the two from each other. They displayed a sketch of it, but the sketch didnt' reflect the alt-transformation as it was done before they decided to try to find one. The sketch showed them TFd the same, but with really minor differences, mainly in the weaponry and heads.

6. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    i wouldb't use jazz for many G1s, especially sunstreak. Sunstreak to me, reminds me of a lanky skinny bot, while jazz mold on the orther hand is short and stubby.
    I'd go with BB mold all the way.

7. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Heh heh... you aren't the only one that thought of this... I've seen a few digibashes as well, and I was planning a similar bash until I heard about the Classics 2.0 versions that are in the pipe. They look very promising.

On the one hand, I think that in terms of personality, the '78 Camaro suits Sideswipe's personality perfectly (he seems like the rough-&-tumble type that who would get into 70's style car chases :)  ). Meanwhile, the styled up Concept Camaro is a good choice for a preening narcissist like Sunstreaker.

However, the Concept Camaro mold generally looks a lot more robust... and Sideswipe always seemed like the brawnier of the two... it might look a bit weird with him as the skinny one instead.

If you did make the Concept Camaro into Sideswipe, I'd say just wait until Hasbro releases the "Cliffjumper" red repaint next year. Saves a lot of painting that way. :) 

As for heads... I like the idea of using Longarm's head! I wouldn't have thought of that, but it's a good call. Otherwise, you could always shop around Ebay for a junker G1 Sunstreaker head. It's actually a bit oversized compared to most G1 figures, so it's a reasonable fit on modern deluxe figures. Though it would take a bit of doing to make it work with the transformation.

You could try a G1 head on Sideswipe too, though I figure it would be too tiny. Alternately, there's Armada Wheeljack (Sideswipe's virtual twin!)... you might be able to fit that head on one of the movie molds. Repainted it should look alright (though maybe too big).

zmog

8. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am definitely going to get the classics Red but I still want movie style ones cause I have to extra BB's. I knew I wasn't crazy about the body styles for these guys, I think the cars fit the personalities perfectly even though your right about the buffness of the two figures and I thing Long Arms head is the way to go for SunStreaker but I am really stumped on Sideswipes , I don't have to money to go out and try and buy a figure just for fodder. I think I will try a rubber mold and see if I can maybe cast the head and carve it into a more Sideswipe style head but my main tiff about that is I really didn't want their heads to look a lot like there G1 counter parts just a slight resemblance, I even thought about Drop Kicks head but not sure if it would look right. Any other heads that come to mind? My thought exactly Frenzy_rumble, I don't like th jazz mold as it is but a Sideswipe and Sunstreaker he is definitely not.

9. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    Actually, I think the 09 Camaro would work quite well as Sideswipe.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Alternately, a modified Barricade might work. His "wings" point straight back, as the game design does.

10. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm not sure if I want these brothers to be from opposing car companies, would be kind of cool but I want to keep the brotherly love. lol Is that pick from the PSP game.

11. transformer_78

transformer_78 Well-Known Member

Still think this mold is Tracks but not loving the legs on this mold.
    Anyways, not surprising that everyone seems to be doing their own repaints version in red or yellow.

But when will someone fix the hind dog leg look of this mold and give him some real legs w/ feet. That's what i want to see.