Ideas for Botcon RID Box Set and Exclusives

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Predakign2000, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Predakign2000

Predakign2000 All Hail Unicron!!!

I know this has been mentioned in Botcon wish list threads and other various threads. If there was a total thread dedicated to this I couldn't find it so here it goes. Apologies if this is a rehash....

I loved RID. Brought be back into collecting. Now with word that Sideburn is about to ship, I wanted to throw around the idea of a RID homaged Classics styled Botcon set.

Boxset:

Prowl - Generations Red Alert w/ remolded head
    X-Brawn - Universe 2.0 Ironhide w/ remolded head
    Optimus Prime - Universe 2.0 Inferno or RTS Grapple w/ remolded head and
    ladder
    Scourge - RTS G2 Laser Prime (I know we all want a mass release)

That's all I've got so far for the box set.

Ironhide (Spychanger)- Generations Kup

Help me fill out this set!!!

2. Drift

Drift Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I know the molds already been used but Mega-octane=universe onslaught.

3. metrotitan

metrotitan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The "red alert as prowl" concept throws me a bit. The rest of your list looks right-on, though.

The decepticons/beasts will be the hard part to figure for this potential set. Not too many recent molds out there to use. What could they do with classics 2.0 dinobot and/or cheetor?

4. Predakign2000

The Generations Red Alert into RID Prowl is more for the alt mode than the robot mode.

5. Predakign2000

Classics Mirage into Skid-Z

6. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    These obvious ideas of RID updates just do not sound like good ideas for a Botcon set: Prime from Inferno? That'd be the 2nd Botcon use of the mold and the 3rd time the molds been primarily red. Scourge from RTS Prime fits more with an actual retail release. Prowl from Red Alert is just way too similar...hmm... change the red trim to black trim...not worth a Botcon price. X-Brawn from U2 Ironhide... that mold is horrible! Plus I think most of those RID molds are pretty good as-is and don't need updates.

Still, a RID set would be cool. And here was an idea/post about it I made awhile ago(before Autotroopers were suspected for this year's set)

7. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    The Energon Combiners could be repainted and released again with the names Ro-Torr, Movor, Rollbar, Armorhide and Mega-Octane. PCC Huffer as Tow-Line?

8. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

um...i liked the rid toys enough that i don't think they need a 'modern reinterpretation" of the characters, the toy designs were already very modern and almost classic-esque compared to the atrocity that was armada. if anything i propose the reversal of this idea, use more rid molds for future obscure botcon characters.

9. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I really don't think a Botcon RiD set would be a good idea, because the RiD toys were already good to begin with. It's not like G1 where you're taking a character that previously had no knees and blessing him with new ones.

Hell, in some of these cases, you're replacing a good looking toy with a toy that isn't even an improvement and doesn't look like the character (the oft-repeated Fire Convoy from Inferno idea. And as Edgewise pointed out, you're taking a red toy and making it red again, all for a character that doesn't benefit from it)

The best idea for an RiD set would be taking the Spychanger characters and applying them to Classics molds. This would give you a bunch of characters that never received much exposure, with some fairly unique and vibrant color schemes, on molds that people are known to like. The only downsides to this idea are A) most of the car molds have already been used by Botcon before and B) because the Spychangers are basically nobodies, it wouldn't be a very popular set, despite the fact that it's a better idea than the alternative

10. sh002

sh002 Banned

the spychangers would be a good idea. or if hasbro bought the fansproject bruticus molds and made a ruination. that would be cool.

11. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

yeah i kinda like that idea, the spychangers color scheme on classic molds, imagine kup repainted as cow-patterned spychanger ironhide

12. Predakign2000

I'm digging the spychangers idea more and more now. I get what everyone is saying about the main RID characters. They truly were ahead of their time.

13. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    I would LOVE to see deluxe sided Spychanger repaints!! I just got a nice set of gem mint Spychangers in the mail this very day.

And Kup as Ironhide would be great, or even Universe Ironhide with simply his RiD color scheme. (Not the right vehicle, but it is Ironhide.)

Mirage Classics mold as Mirage, Hot Rod Classics as Hot Shot, and something from the molds of Tracks, Sunstreaker, Sideswipe etc as Crosswise, R.E.V. and W.A.R.S. That'd be AWESOME.