Ideas for Alternators Relaunch?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Slappytron, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Slappytron

Slappytron Peace through Slapping

We all know Alts are going on hiatus after the Rumble/Ravage figures are released in January. I read at a Botcon panel they are looking into possible ways to relaunch the line after the movie. What would you like to see changed? A couple ideas I came up with:

a) Different size classes. 1/32 scale is roughly the size of a Deluxe. Cheaper, more easily transformable.

b) Classic vehicles. A muscle car group with late 60's models like the Challenger, Boss Mustang, GTO, etc. Maybe even go farther back and make models of the Dusenberg, 57 Chevy, Model T, etc.

c) As mentioned several times, non-car vehicles like planes, helicoptors, motorcycles, military
    vehicles, etc.

d) Don't forget the line's appeal. We need models for the hot new cars, like the upcoming Camaro (which is probably in the movie line), upcoming Challenger, etc.

2. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I agree with the muscle cars and the non car type vehicle

We need more variety in the line and less re-paints.

3. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Here's an idea... Get together with Target/TRU/Wal*Mart and fix the damned case assortment ratios and distribution issues...

4. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    Some classic or retro Muscle Cars would be cool. To start off, a Rumble repaint as Frenzy would be good (imo).

I do like that they are all 1:24 scale cars, but some trucks or SUV's would be a nice addition to the line. I personally wouldnt care for any other scales to be used though.

5. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i just want the trucks and vans dammit (or trailbreaker and ironhide).

a combining alternator team would be sweet.

6. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    I like the muscle car, vans and SUV ideas, KA Alternator combiners would be sweet

7. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    I don't mind the Alternators line remaining exclusive to cars, but I would definitely like to see them stop turning more Decepticons & non-vehicle Autobots into cars and stop inventing new characters when there's still such a healthy number of unaccounted for G1 Autobots that deserve the Alternator treatment first & foremost.

Oh, and the sooner they quit painting shit black and calling it "nemesis" for inane fan boys that actually think it's a cool or good idea, the better.

8. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How about releasing more of them in the UK? :( 

9. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I've never liked the idea of whoring out the alternators name to a bunch of jets and junk. It kills the entire spirit of the line and turns it into a glorified Universe. Trucks, vans, and even trailer cabs are a definite must though. Pretty much anything street legal.

10. Mad Dawg

Mad Dawg Autobot Brewmeister

How about the line not being so random. By that I mean some of the character decisions seem to have been made very randomly. Smokescreen and Silverstreak were both Subaru WRX's and then *BAM* Prowl is an Acura RSX. Jazz was released as a Mazda RX-8 and then *BAM* Stepper is a Subaru WRX.

How about the line not using really obscure characters? Swerve? Stepper? Rollbar? This is where I think Classics will do a better job catering to original fans who are now adults than Alternators did. The funny thing is that was exactly the mission of Alternators, cater to original fans who are now adults.

How about the line gets a better distribution method? We have fans of the line who can't find a Mirage to save their life, but the store shelves are piled high with Skids. And who could forget the Nemesis Prime debacle on Hasbro's web site? Maybe they should be pre-order only items from HTS. That way Hasbro knows exactly how many of each to make, and ships them directly to the people who want them.

How about no more re-do's? Pick something and stick with it! In the line's short life we've gone through three box designs, and there will undoubtedly be a fourth if the line comes back off hiatus. And what's up with two different Ravage's? I know it's not Hasbro's fault, but Smokescreen and then Smokescreen GT? Surprised we didn't see another Tracks mold after Chevy released the new Corvette Z06.

11. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Over here in the UK we've had very few Alts officially released - Silverstreak, Shockblast, Swindle and Dead End are easily available, while one retailer has exclusives on Wheeljack and Optimus Prime. Smokescreen was available for a short time in 2004 when the range first appeared. And that's pretty much it really... shop shelves are stacked high with Silverstreak and Swindle, while we're missing out on the bulk of the range. :(  Shame really.

Oh, and Mad Dawg, I agree about some of the odd mold choices - when I got Silverstreak two years ago my first thought was that he would make a perfect Prowl with the addition of roof lights. Everything about the robot form, from the feet to the wing doors right up to the head mold would make it a perfect G1 homage.

12. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    As much as I think Skids is a pretty "meh" character, I still firmly believe that he would sell MUCH better if he was (re)released in proper colors like the Binaltech version and without ghey flames and "Scion" windshield decal. Hasbro made an extremely bad judgement call on that one, as evidenced by the endless amounts of that character just sitting on store shelves collecting dust.

13. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    No more original characters, UNLESS they start putting a storyline to the toys to make me care about new characters. And if they do make new characters, do something special, not Alt Swindle with orange instead of yellow. At the least no Alt should ever have the same head as others unless it's necessary, Smokescreen/Prowl/Bluestreak or the seekers.

Start it off big, classic characters and repaints/remolds we've been wanting. For the first new wave, I want Rodimus (the Kiss figure with no yellow plastic and flames in vehicle mode), Ironhide (Scion repaint with a new head), and a couple new ones. I'd say Trailbreaker and Megatron.

More online exclusives, seeing how Nemesis Prime was such a huge hit, just handle them better. This is where repaints should go, Alternator Frenzy, a proper Ricochet from the Jazz mold, maybe the Asterisk figures we never got. This would be a great way to release Autolooper over here, too, with a new paint scheme. But, as stated above, give me reason to care about a new character in this line.

Everyone says new size scales, too. But I have a better idea. Jet and plane Alternators at the $20 price point, packed differently of course, no avoiding that, the idea is the robots are on the same scale. But also larger price scales, $30 where not only could you do an Alt Humvee or Tank, but for the airships, too, like jumbo jets or space shuttles.

14. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hope they stick with the fairly complex transformations. That's one of my favorite parts of a new Alt, is sitting there for 15-30 minutes (45 for Grimlock) and transforming it for the first time. I think the 'online-only' repaints is a great idea! Maybe stores don't want to carry Rumble and Frenzy, but there's enough fans who would make this worth Hasbro's while. As far as 'stick to the originals,' how many original Autobot cars or left? I'd rather have a Grimlock Alternator than, say, a Chromedome- no love for the character or the original toy. I'm not saying they shouldn't so Chromedome, but I wouldn't mind a snazzy green Cosmos, or maybe a Kickback or Bombshell before some of the more obscure post-movie characters.

-Tony!

15. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think a lot these ideas are good, and I particularly agree with the mail order for repaints and having them go beyond just automobiles. In fact, I would say that keeping them almost exclusively mail order may be a good idea, as long as stock was actually maintained.
    An idea I had was making them part of a more mainstream line. Just say classics was still going strong, they could release alts under the classics banner as voyager sizes, or whatever main line is going strong at the time, kind of like the reissue of Soundwave was going to be (although I haven't heard anything on that lately). That way the collectors would get their alts, and kids and more casual fans would be better exposed.

16. PrimeConvoy

PrimeConvoy ShickaBAM!

I rather like keeping them at the same scale, that's why larger bots took on larger vehicles. Like everyone else I want to see bigger vehicles like more trucks, vans and even wagon, older car mold would be awesome too. As for stepping out side the whole different range of vehicles, I like them as they are I fell thats the concept and idea of Alternators is 1:24 realistic scale cars.

My feelings about repaints are "keep a few, do ones that make some sense" and with some do minor remolding and retool. They could even use the same transformation and work it into a new vehicle body and give it a new head and "BAM" a new character, new car, that would work way better then have 3 of the same.

And one last thing, work with the companys that are on board and dont worry about trying to find new ones and just look at how many car companys that are owed by Ford and under GM and so on. There are loads of cars I would like to see by the same company and your bound to find a car to fit almost any bot.

Oh yeah and MORE DECEPTICONS

17. b_ack51

b_ack51 I'm on the interweb!

I wish they could have kept the same make of car. Like Jazz would still be a Porsche 911. Make prowl a 350z, just an updated version of his original G1 character. I know some such as grimlock couldn't technically be updated, but I still think a few like that would be cool. Even the new ravage is cool trying to keep the original G1 robot form as an animal instead of a robot.

Other than that, I just wish they'd make me a camshaft. Only guy I'm missing.