Ideal settings for an HDTV...

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by UnicronFTW, Mar 20, 2012.

1. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Just obtained an HDTV. My first one... and thus, though it might seem simple, I need some guidance. It was preowned, but not for a great length of time. First thing I did when I got it home was restore it to it's factory settings.

It's a Sanyo 31.5". I havn't done much research on it to discern if it's a 720 or a 1080 pixel... But right now I'm trying to figure out the right configuration for gaming? I know that the default settings are:
    Standard.
    Manual.
    Advanced Manual.
    Sports.
    News.
    Movie.
    Game.

But I can't seem to get the manual settings right, and the other defaults all have their own problems... (Game causes slow framerate, movie is to dark...etc.)

So, from those more experienced then I, what do you guys have your settings pinned for? Just some ideas so I can get pointed in the right direction.

(This question is probably totally newbish, right?)

2. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    There are too many variables at work here to troubleshoot them all, but getting you on the right track is a definite possibility. For the most part hooking things up should be pretty much a plug-n-play experience and the other modes are tweaks.

What device are you hooking up to the TV and through what means; component cables, HDMI, RCA cables?

My advice to you is to buy an HDMI cable for your game system.
    You do not have to buy a $60 Monster (priced) cable.
    I have never spent more than $15 for an HDMI cable and I have never had a bad one.

Then I would Google your Sanyo TV model and download the manual.
    From that I would learn how to set up the TV. Learn how to set your TV's resolution and then set the game system and the TV to the same resolution.

Play a game and watch a movie on the system at the Standard setting and if everything looks okay start experimenting with the other modes.

3. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    A good way to set your picture settings (brightness, contrast, backlight, colour, hue etc) without hours and hours of your own trial and error is to Google your particular TV model and use the settings other people have settled on.

You should find pages on AV forums that will have your TV and just try theirs. I had my TV settings based upon the Wall.E calibration thing, but after finding some other folks TV settings they were infinitely better then what I was using.

4. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Thanks guys. I'll go do some of that research and come back with the results.