IDEA FOR BOTCON/ FP needs to take a look at

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by gen1fan, May 8, 2008.

1. gen1fan

gen1fan G1 PRIME FROM VA TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    So this idea has been kicking around in my head for a few weeks. Ever before this botcon got started. I think that FP is taking way to long to make the choices for location and the excluive set choice for each botcon. I know that they also put the G.I.JOe con on as well with that be said. Here is a few idea that I have hear or thought of myself. My plan is to get a fans inport into the all the ideas that are posted here. And forward the results to Brain himself. and hopefully we can get them to change some of the problems.

1)JOE CON and BOTCON
    Joe con 1 year the next year Botcon. This way they have almost 2 year between year botcon / Joe con to put together a nice FANS wanted exclsive set together. This way they do not have to put 2 con on each year. It could be held each summer this way to give everyone a chance to go to every con they want to go.

2) Location and Date Annoucement
    Tell us what city and dates of the next botcon. Back in 06 in Lexington when they annoiced the location of the 07 show. Which was held in the state of Rhode Island, and that the dates was going to be the weekend before the movie release date. Gave us all more than effort time to plan for that show. Plus time to start putting money aside.

3) Con and it's Hotels
    What we are looking at 3 years running that FP has had to get more then 1 hotel for cover all the attending people. On top of that, The hotels can not block off floors for us. It be some much better if we all could be put on the same floors or ever connecting floors, like 6,7,8,and 9th floors. That way all Botconers could be some what on the same floors. Making get together, parts parties, and hang out some much easier to put together. Maybe what I'm getting at is why do we have to having a connecting hotel to the CON. it seams like we are getting screwed at those hotels. Paying extra for Internet and parking.Having to eat at those hotel resturants cause the downtown area is closed after 5 or 6pm.

4) Con Problems
    THE DAM LINES, do I really have to say anything else!!!
    Why do we have registation times from 6pm til 10pm. Why not all day long, or at least start registertion at noon. NOW I know what your saying or thinking, What about those of us in the class or on the tours. Keep it how is been. Those on the class or tour do pick up on Wednesday night and able to buy attending firgures or store items on Wednesday. So the Thursday registion does not run into 10 or 11pm at night.

5) the attending set.
    I will wish that they would stop waiting til a month or so before the con to annouce that years attending set. Then you have the problem with the number of loose and box set made. If they would announce the attend set say a year out or at least at the end of the peroius years botcon show. and open regisation up a lot sooner they would have a better idea of how many set they would need.

Ok so what I would like to see happen is at the FP announce the location and at least the season, like spring or summer or fall for the next years show. And maybe in they can get there act in gear show of the next years attending set even if it was not complete. have the prootype there. That way they will know if they have a hit or a bomb on there hands. Take a look at the 05 set, either it was a bomb or they made way to main of them. THen look at the 07 and 08 set the sold out. that my 2 cents with some other board members 2 cents. Please add your 2 cents . and once I get some replys I will send in the results to FP

2. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I got the botcon bug this year. I plan on going every year that I can now. Aside from all of the news panels, it is as much a social event for me to hang out with friends. I would personally hate waiting 2 years.

Agreed. I think this botcon made things even more difficult.

Not a huge deal, but parts parties would be a lot more fun.

Those lines are horrible, part of the problem seemed like they just wanted to take their sweet ol' time.

3. xZAOx

xZAOx Yep.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No way! I want BotCon once a year.

Hell yes. Brian actually addressed this at this year's 'con - he said his plan is to, every Saturday dinner, announce the next year's convention. They're working towards that goal.

Agreed. Although, I think there's more to this than we know, and it's probably out of FP's hands.

This is fine with me - I think the only reason it's not that way, is because Brian likes to say hello to everyone registration night, and make a little speech. If it was open all day, he misses that. But, I think the benefits of being able to register and pick up your souveniers all day Thursday outweighs that. He can make a speech during the dinner, or on Friday at some point.

This would be awesome as well. I think a year out is a bit much, but that they should start taking preregs alot earlier - so that when they have to put in the order, they really have a good idea how many.

However, they have said that they don't know exact prices till they make their order. But I'd also be fine with "here's the set, place $250 down, we'll take the remainder or issue a refund when we order, and gaurentee it to be within $50" or some such. Then everyone who wants one has more time, and they can more likely order the correct amount of boxsets, instead of having people having to come as an Energon package or whatever.

I'm also for putting the "mystery set 1" and such on the preorder as well (for attendee souvenirs). That way you can skip the club store line altogether.

4. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Well, some things that came out of Botcon:

Email the representatives with your suggestions! Pete, Brain and the rest do listen to our comments and are aware of the issues.

I know with the exclusives, they were considering putting the at-show toys on the pre-reg forms, so if you were okay with buying them sight-unseen, not knowing who you are getting, then they might do that. The main reason for not doing it was simply that they did not think people would buy into it without knowing what they were buying. Again, voice your opinion on this one! I am all for it, and as a collector, I'll always be happy to get the extra figures since they are so awesome.

There was also talk of starting the pre-reg a little earlier so that numbers of sets could be adjusted slightly if there was a sudden rush. This year they did apparently try to raise numbers, but it was too late.

Basically, get in touch, voice your opinions politely, and Botcon will continue to get more awesome every year. And we'll keep winning at drinking too!

5. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    My own suggestions for future Botcons:
    1. Hold them in nicer cities. I know Pete Sinclair lives in Cincinatti, but the general concensus from people I spoke to (and I agree with them) is that it was a hole. it may well sound uncaring, but I don't much want to be hassled by beggars the second I step outside. Kind of kills the convention mood somewhat.
    Cinci was horrid frankly, and especially compared with other locations that have been used. The hotel from Botcon 2005 was an amazing hotel; easily the best I've stayed in. Why not work out a deal with a chain of hotels and use them every year? Pass on the savings to the people who go, and you'll get more people going.
    2. Re Dinner/Awards party - GET A BETTER TANNOY SYSTEM SO THAT PEOPLE DON'T GET GYPPED OUT OF THEIR GAMBLING POINTS.
    3. When the preregistration pickup queue for a certain range of last names is COMPLETELY EMPTY, and the one next to it is MASSIVE, move people from one queue to another. I got sick of seeing the person on the table next to mine sitting there doing f*ckall for over 15 minutes while we waited in a huge queue a few feet away.

6. TrickyDisco

TrickyDisco <b><font color=blue>Voted TFW2005's Sexiest Female

News Credits:
    NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!

AGREED. They also did this at BotCon 2002, so we could book our hotel and stuff at the airport on our way home from that con. ;) 

We already know that BotCon 09 will be in summer.

A-MEN. The 2005 hotel was the best ever EVER. So far the worst locations I've experienced were Ft. Wayne in 2002 and now Cincinnati in 2008.

I'm not sure that's possible; each station only has the books for their group of names. You just need to change your last name to something as awesome as Vangelus and I :p 

7. warriorpriest

warriorpriest Priest of Primus

News Credits:

Or mine :p  I would also like to know where the next con is going to be in advance. That way I could plan ahead.

8. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Do we? I was under the impression that it could be even later, in order to be timed to the release of the movie, which could be released in November, according to current estimates (and could be pushed even later due to more striking).

9. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    OH, HELLS NO. EVERY YEAR!

Agreed

Would be nice, don't know how feasible the floor plan would be.

Cinci was pretty crappy...goin' out in front of the hotel for a smoke..."hey, man, can you help me eat?" What the???

Yeah, after waiting in the line for 2 hours just to get my box set, I just went back to my hotel and went Fri am to get my add-ons, And I really wanted those Thursday, but no way was I spending another 2-3 hours in that line!

I would LOVE to see the pickup open all day. Especially since almost everyone is driving/flying in, the LAST thing I wanna do after traveling all day is wait all night for my toys

I would also love the option to add the add-on sets in pre-reg. I would have no problem getting them sight unseen...I want the complete set!

6 months would be nice.

10. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Although I'm not convinced that a BotCon every year is actually the best thing for the fandom, I have to confess I'd still be disappointed if the decision was made to go to a "once every two years" system.

Is this an attempt to get around a swear filter?
    Do keep in mind that FP will need volunteers (if not paid staff) to run the tables for all those extra hours. That could be a problem. That said, something clearly needs to be done, and I'd be all for considering more hours on Thursday. That said, also keep in mind that many people aren't actually leaving home until Thursday itself (lest they have to pay for an extra night of hotelage), which means they won't arrive until later in the day.

11. 'nok

'nok undead space monkey

I would happily volenteer to help run the damn lines so as to help others avoid them i just have no clue how to. If they told me $350-$500 ffor a con set + loose set+ souvenier sets at this years con I'd hand them the money right then, only condition being I got the sets or a refund if I was unable to attend. as for the hotels why can't we go back to holding the con IN a hotel? so much more convinent, just skipp the damn HOTEl exclusive.

Oh and I'd love it if everyone was one the same block of floors can you say 86 hours of con? Hell I'd stay an extra day just to sleep after being up all day from thursday till sunday

One last thing, 1 can every 2 years? blasphamey

12. Transfan2

Transfan2 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    *Lines
    => Regarding them, I managed to live through them during Thursday for example except I can agree on the "being long line" view especially with the pain that I felt in my back from standing in one spot for so long, ouch (minor, but still ouch).

*Attendance Exclusives
    => I would be fine with getting them via pre-registration forms (like Exclusive 2009 Package Set #1: $100 for example with a certain amount allowed) and any additional ones can be bought at the convention on Sat (for those who don't use this option can get them on Thurs/Fri), but that's just my view, Folks.
    Perhaps that will help with the lines issue as well.
    My Mom Suggests If you do pre-order them, this way: Include them with your stuff.

*Hotel/Convention
    => I will say that No offense to Cincinnati (since my grandma lives there, nice pizza via LaRosas, and close to me <=bonus for my dad), I will say that I prefer "Hotel with a Convention within" like 2006 for example.

*Parties Party
    => I had a nice visit to Megamus' Parties Party and thanks to Genfan1 for the $100 (2nd) 2008 Ricochet that I got there so I could display both modes (Originally $150 - Brave Maximus Parts Trade = $100). I enjoy this chance to get a second one of the attendance freebie figure by getting it from fans instead of ebay. So I probably be back for 2nd copy of 09 one if I go and if he has another party.

That's pretty much it from me.

I would have come to TFW2005 thing on Friday, but I didn't want to miss out on getting another set of Exclusives and I get tired easily (you don't want a sleeping guy, Right?).

Hope to see you all Next Year and Draven, thanks for helping me with breaking my shyness and perhaps G2 MM could visit next year ("under tight security").

-TF2

13. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    No, no, and hells no. A con every other year would lose FP money for both Joes and TFs. Every year's set for BotCon has gotten better, and I've heard similar from others. While there is always someone that doesn't like a set, so far every set but the '05 has sold out, so apparantly FP is on the right track there.

In addition having the con every other year would definately take the wind out of the sails of Hasbro getting to show us new and neat stuff. We would get a sneak peek, then nada for quite a while...

Lexington to RI was a fluke of the movie. Hasbro REALLY wanted it in their back yard, and from what I've heard gave FP great incentives for it. While Brian did say that they were down to 2 or 3 potential locations for next year, they weren't going to say as to keep the speculative booking and the like down.

And if saving up for a show is an issue, start saving now. Put away 10 bucks a week and you'll have a pretty sum ready to go when it's con time. Just because you don't know when or where it is going to be that doesn't mean that you still can't save up for it.

That's one of the woes of getting larger. I would estimate that there were between 800 and 1000 pre-registrants at pick up this year. If everyone was staying 4 to a room, that's 200-250 rooms. I'd guess that there were probably just as many people that went to the con and stayed in a hotel that didn't pre-register. That is a lot of rooms for a hotel to block out, just for a show.

Plus I don't know if I would necessarly want a blocked off floor just for TF fans. We all run the gamut, from late night partiers to morning people. I think that in such a case you are going to get more issues and problems in such a situation.

As far as the hotel tacking on extras... it's a fact of life. Whenever I've had to travel for buisness or pleasure, whenever I'm in a city that's worth half a crap they charge for the extras.

Lines are a staple of conventions. The organizers have to strike a balance between staff and attendees. Most of the staff there were Fun Pub, or their relations, and so were likely free/cheap. From comparisons I've heard from other con events (Gen-Con, Comic-Con, any of the Trek Cons) FP does a good job of keeping things moving.

As far as the times go, their people can only work for so long, and if you think about the organization that has to go on before hand (sorting out all the regs, getting packages ready, etc...) the voluenteers are working a half day (4hrs) alone handing out stuff. Stretching it longer and you're ending up with people working a 12 or 14 hour day, and those SUCK.

Announcing the set a year out would prevent them from having anything interesting. If they were to have shown off next year's set this year, they would be locked into Classics and earlier molds. Last year? They would have been Cybertron and older. This year was again a fluke due to timings. Normally they've tried to open registrations early enough to bump their numbers if need be.

By waiting until a month or two out from the convention, you have people excited about the exclusives up to, and at the convention. If we've seen pictures for the last year on something the excitement is going to have worn off. Plus as we've seen with Animated, if you leave a bunch of completed product sitting in a warehouse, it will find its way out through eBay.

14. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As Botcon is equally a social event for me, and I'm extremely self-centred-- I'd have to say no to the idea if anything longer than once a year.

15. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

I don't think there would be a problem. The Hartman's ran Botcon for years and no one knew what the toys were until they got there. The Thursday night dinner always has the unveiling of exclusives as the major attraction... And at least in the early years, there were able to keep them mostly a secret.

16. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This would make no one happy. Joe fans would be pissed, Transformers fans would be pissed, and FP would be missing out on opportunities for making money. This will likely never happen, and for good reason.

I too would love to know the date and location of the next show while at the current show, but I don't see that happening again. '06 was a fluke because of the movie and all. It would be real nice to get that info at the awards dinner or something like in '06, but I understand that there is alot of planning and potential plan switching that goes on with these conventions that really does not afford the opportunity to do this. My gripe here is that with all the planning that goes in, there are some serious oversights. I was excited to go to Cincinnati until we actually got there and experienced the city. It wasn't the best setup for the convention IMO (I know others agree with me). I would think that the planning process would take EVERYTHING into account, such as options for food and their locale to the dealer room. Then again, I have no experience in convention planning so I will leave it at that.

Again, I think a little more planning needs to go into this area. The food court in Cincinnati was quite far from the dealer room and panel rooms. If you were on a tight schedule you were limited to eating from the skyline chili stand. I had completely forgotten about having to pay extra for internet and parking, which I'm really not sure if any other city would be any different, but it really REALLY sucked.

I actually like this idea. I think it was at OTFCC in 2003 I showed up around 2 and got in the registration line then. I think opening up the registration at noon could help alleviate some of the issues with the lines on Thursday. Especially since people arriving to the convention is usually staggered a bit on Thursday it would allow everyone involved to not be so overwhelmed by the massive line that forms at 5.

Actually I would almost rather they went back to how it was when you didn't find out what the exclusive items were until you got there. I don't know why but I think it made arriving and preregistration a little more exciting. Right now I just show up, stand in a line like a zombie, get my set and put it in the corner of the hotel room. I think if it was surprise I would be a bit more happy when I got the set. But maybe I am just crazy.

I would like registration to open up sooner though, but that also comes coupled with letting us know when and where the next con is sooner. I like to plan out things well in advance and knowing what weekend I will absolutely need free is a huge weight off of my shoulders. And once I prereg I can stop worrying about it altogether...I just like to get things out of the way.

17. gen1fan

gen1fan G1 PRIME FROM VA TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Saving up money for me is not an issue. But I have hear other fans that bring their whole family with them and make it the family vaction need more time to save up the cash. Also some people have replied stating that FP would like to annouced the city and dates for the next con at the saturday night awards party.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gen1fan
    4) Con Problems
    THE DAM LINES, do I really have to say anything else!!!
    Why do we have registation times from 6pm til 10pm. Why not all day long, or at least start registertion at noon. NOW I know what your saying or thinking, What about those of us in the class or on the tours. Keep it how is been. Those on the class or tour do pick up on Wednesday night and able to buy attending firgures or store items on Wednesday. So the Thursday registion does not run into 10 or 11pm at night.
    The other cons I have gone to, as a dealers helper It seams like they had the stuff better organized. People doing the check ins only had 3 or 4 letters of the alphabete, and they had 3 people for the dealers to check in with. Registaion started at 2pm and it ran til 10pm ok so they do not have a store like fp does but, They had panels and guest , and all the same events as botcon, maybe not the dinner like botcon but they do awards for different events they have. Maybe cause it's with an hour drive from my house, I do not have the stress that I get need botcon comes around.

18. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    I agree, but I think that would be impossible to keep secret with ebay, etc, etc.

19. rework

Okay, but cutting the number of shows in half because some people can't afford to take their whole family each and every year is not the answer. Why punish the vast majority of attendees who can afford an annual show?

If you need two years to save up the money, you go to every other show... It's pretty simple.

20. rework

Yep, sadly I think the days of surprise toy unveilings at the show are long behind us. Between lax factory security and the potential for big profits (thanks to those who are willing to pay for stolen toys on Ebay), it's over.