I'd love to hear your Fort Max story

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by dragooner, Jul 23, 2008.

1. dragooner

dragooner Optimus' BFF

Well, when I was 10 years old, I wanted Fort Max in the absolute worst way for the Christmas of '87. Never got him, and 21 years later he still eludes me. I'm thinking of selling of some of my MP's, BT's, and Alt's to correct this. Enough about me, I'd love to hear some of the..."I got for Max when..." stories! Bring 'em on!!!:D :D  Also, is there anyone here that still has one MISB??

2. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

Well, I was PLANNING on buying Fort. Max. during the R.I.D era... but then they decided that it wasn't "safe anymore" =/ (Don't ask me how or why it was safe back in the 80's! :rolleyes:  )

3. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    I got one for Christmas the year he came out.

I was overwhelmed with how cool it was.

My parents sold him for $10 at a garage sale when I started middle school. Actually they sold all my stuff at that point. "Time to grow up!" they said.

4. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Way back I went into Hamleys Toystore in London to see what overpriced TF they may have in and saw a Fort Max being used as a display piece. Kids had obviously been messing with it though as parts were disconnected and laying at his feet, but I was so excited to see the figure in the 'flesh'. I asked a memebr of staff if they had any to sell, or if the display piece was going to be sold at some point. The numpty I spoke to told me it was a one-off made especially for the store, which was, of course, bollocks. I really don't know where they hire these people from.

Anyway, I left without him. :( 

I used to go on holiday to a seaside town which had great little giftshops that always had the occasional bit of imported TF joy if you looked hard enough. It must've been around 1992 when I went into one and on a top shelf were eight MISB Fort Max for £40 each. Luckily this was the beginning of my holiday so I still had spare cash in my pocket so I grabbed one. Thinking back I really should've grabbed two. And perhaps have borrowed some cash from my parents until payday to get the others to stash away to sell in later years. But what's done is done.
    So, I still have my Maxie. He sits on the cabinet by my bed and guards my stuff. He did spend a spell in a cupboard that got a bit damp though, so now he needs a good clean to get some dusty gunk off him. But his stickers are all still pristine and secure, so it's not a disaster. Just gotta find the time to give him a proper going over. He's got all his bits and box as well.

So glad I chanced on him in that shop long ago. He's always a talking point when people come to my place. :) 

5. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

:banghead: 

I'm so sorry dude, I'm glad my parents never pulled that bullshit on me.

6. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    I thought you were gonna say 'And it was I that bought him! Mwahhahah!!!'.

My mother did throw out loads of my G1 boxes though. Which sucked.

7. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    I just bought a complete one from a board member here a few years back. I had one but it was incomplete, so I just bought a complete one and sold off the old one. If your interested I have a sealed Brave Max for sale.

8. dragooner

dragooner Optimus' BFF

WOW:eek: :eek:  I would've been sooooo upset. I feel for you man!

9. dragooner

dragooner Optimus' BFF

That's an awesome story - I remember years went by and I thought to myself, maybe some other store will have his as a leftover, but that day never came...

10. dragooner

dragooner Optimus' BFF

Thanks for the offer Liokaiser - I've seriously thought about buying a Brave Max now for a few months, but I just gotta hold out and get that original Fort Max.....I've gotta

11. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I got my Fort Max through a local collectors' store in about 2001 for £200 (roughly $400). It was complete except for the 2 hip cannons, and Cerebros' rifle. Also, the elevator was stuck. The guy I got it from promised he'd get me the hip cannons, but there was next to no chance that he'd be able to get the rifle. He did indeed get me the hip cannons, so I resigned myself to having a small piece missing from my Fort Max.
    A couple of months later I decided to clean up Max (he's fairly yellowed; hopefully I'll find a non-yellowed shell at some point) and to try and fix the elevator. I opened him up to clean the parts, and the rifle fell out. It had been stuck in the elevator mechanism. :) 

12. Prometheum5

Prometheum5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I managed to finally secure a Brave Max at the end of school this year... after multiple slipped thru my hands both on ebay and abroad, I finally managed to get one thru BINOBO, and haven't regretted it for a moment... coming home from college to see that small-refrigerator sized box on my bed was one of the sickest moments.

13. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I know I've mentioned it in the 'most expensive TF you bought' thread, but I bought mine off eBay in 2002. It's missing quite a few accessories but it had both Headmasters and was the only one I had found for months with both heads under $400 so I jumped. I know I paid too much, but I'm still happy I was able to get it. It's just a badASS display piece, complete or not :) 

14. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    This store still exists. And I live in that holiday seaside town now. I can regularly check the small shops just in case. Unfortunately import finds rarely come along in them now. I think the last was a load of RID things a few years back.

15. dragooner

dragooner Optimus' BFF

Could you imagine finding a Fort Max now......I would be trembling bringing it to the cashier.....or I would wake up....

16. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:
    My FM is a charmed story haha j/k. I have two stories.

First one is a sad tale. My mom's friend asked what I wanted for my b-day (I dont remember how old I was but it was around the time FM came out) So I asked for a FM. i described as a big grey robot that turns into a base. So excited to think that I might be getting a FM for my B-day. When I got the present and immediately ripped up the wrapping paper. Upon seeing the packaging my heart dropped into my stomach. It was a big grey robot that turns into a base. It was the Gobot headquarters. The huge AT-AT looking robot.

Now for the better story. It started with a trip to my local comic book store last year. I was dumpster diving in their loose TF box. They put the loose TFs in plastic poly bags and stapled them shut.

I found Headmaster Jr. Horribull. It was only $10. And it came with a headmaster. Upon closer inspection, I discovered it was Spike from FM!!!!!!! I immediately bought it.

Celebrating my extreme luck, I called my friend Jasonjupiter. He said I should get Cerebro and a FM body. So I looked on Ebay and found a loose Cerebro for $100 and a decent FM Body (but missing most of the accessories) for $80 shipped all within a week, I think, of finding Spike.

I went to this year's Botcon, and was able to get repro guns from DecepticonZero. Thru various dealers and Gen1Fan I got both ramps, torso and knee cannons as well as Spikes cockpit window. The only things Im missing are the arm covers for the cannons, the radar dish, and Cog and Sprocket.

But those last pieces dont seal the deal for me. I just wanted FM to be in bot mode and base modes to look decent.

17. dragooner

dragooner Optimus' BFF

Awesome story!! Man I wish we had comic book stores in our area!!! I have to settle for frickin Borders:rolleyes: 

18. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Back in 87, I saw a FM in at TRU in Maryland, while visiting my aunt. I had $80 of the $100 needed to buy him. I asked my mother for a loan so I could get him. To which she said no you're not spending $100 on a toy!

Little did she know that years later I would spend nearly $500 to get one MIB off of ebay... and then buy a second one weeks later also MIB.

19. Max-prime

Max-prime Supreme-Commander

News Credits:
    I never saw fortmax in my area growing up I would just sit and look in the cataloge booklet that cam with the G1 figs. Finally when I was about 10 I walked into a comicshop and they had a MIB fortmax for $300 I was just sitting there staring when the owner of the shop came over and started talk TF's with me very cool guy I told my fortmax sob story and to my surprise he told me I could have it for $200 and even let me do a lay-away. So needless to say after alot of grass cutting I finally had my FortMax.

20. 1987olds442

1987olds442 Cam Maximus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I got mine for Christmas the year he came out for getting Straight A's that entire year :)  Oh I also got Scorponok the same Christmas. I even still have Fort Max's box, and he is still in great shape. I've been Selling off my collection, but I'm thinking that he will be one that I will be keeping :)