I'd lose my "nerd card" if people knew..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by geerave, Sep 25, 2012.

1. geerave

geerave Well-Known Member

ive never seen firefly or serenity and ive never played an MMO. i want to, i really do, ive just never got around to it. whats something you "need" to do to maintain you nerdy (dorky, geeky, ect) status that you have not done?

2. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Edit: OOPS misread the post.

I've never seen them either. Or the new Battlestar Galactica.

But I did buy the Dungeons & Dragons movie 2-pack on Blu-Ray (for reasons that escape me)

3. EmperorDinobot

EmperorDinobot I claim your sun!

I don't watch tv and I hate Dr. Who.
    I'm not into RPGs (live), I don't play videogames (much), I don't know any card games, loathe D&D.

I also quit reading comic books, since I moved to a place where I no longer have much access to them. DC should make its books online and make us pay subscription.

4. geerave

5. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I don't like Star Trek never seen Battle star galactica & I don't dig RTS games and never touched an MMO.

6. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

I hate Big Bang Theory, Mythbusters and any show/movie that has zombies, werewolves or vampires.

Oh, and horror movies in general.

7. H0tRodimus

H0tRodimus Well-Known Member

I've been called a nerd or geek before but it does puzzle me (then again it doesn't take much to be called one in Alabama). I don't really watch anything sci-fi related to be honest, most of the shows I watch on tv are either sports, storage auctions, pawn stars, american pickers/choppers, sons of guns (or anything else with firearms), and outdoor type shows. I enjoy fishing, I'm into archery and golf, I love camping and hiking...the only nerdy things I do anymore is video games and collect masterpiece Transformers. I haven't read a comic book in several years and absolutely hate MMOs, I refuse to buy any game from Blizzard...any game that requires you to buy the software and pay to play the game is a huge ass ripoff IMO.

8. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Hhah RTS.

... but yeah, I dunno how to really answer this question because people don't generally see me as a nerd or whatever until they get to know some of the stuff I'm into. Like, most of the guys at work thought I was either a metal head or farmboy couse I guess that's how I look, but when it comes to being judged by the nerd crowd & whatnot, I think the fact that I play yugioh & collect Transformers has me covered. Plus, even though I'm not big into gaming, I'm into a good amount of sci-fi & animated stuff, I have thousands of posts across countless message boards, and its not like anything "we" do really goes over my head.

Other than that, I'm a pretty big advocate of "embrace the nerdage" when it comes up, so besides specific fandoms that might shun me for not being able to name episode numbers & stupid shit like that, I've more than got my foot in the door. :D 

9. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    I fell asleep watching Star Wars. Yawn.

10. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Let's see... I'd need to:

-Stop hating Big Bang Theory (NEVER!!!!)
    -Stop doing all forms of physical exercise (No way!)
    -Start enacting Rule 34/35/42/whatever on everything (Hell no...)
    -Start liking Macross (yeah...that's gonna happen...not)

-Lose all my friends (I'd never do that! Well, not willingly anyway.)

-Stop failing at Halo (I managed to crash the Scorpion in Multiplayer once...the biggest, slowest thing in that game...I crashed it... :(  )

-Actually beat my video games (instead of, y'know, having a social life...)
    -Stop despising Star Wars (seriously, the vehicles couldn't possibly work and the aliens are all just humans with extra flesh and limbs)
    -Start liking comics (because, y'know, they're sooooo much better than TV...not)

Hmm...looking at that list, that's a lot of things to do just to garner a title. A pretty shoddy title at that.

So...I guess since I don't fit into the nerd category, I'm a success? Right? RIGHT? :ev:  :lol 

11. geerave

i feel like we should probably add "but its cool because.." just for fun. so its cool because i have probably 20+ unopend action figures on display in my house. you know besides the fact that im 30 years old posting on a site for kids toys lol

12. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    My blood is boiling.

I honestly don't even know where to start.

I am absolutely apathetic about so much of the nerd culture.

13. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Firefly is excellent and so is BSG. MMO's are lame.

14. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    Couldn't read LoTR either, though I'd like to give it a second chance.

15. EmperorDinobot

EmperorDinobot I claim your sun!

16. B'Bantor

B'Bantor Bug Drone

I am not a nerd.

17. H0tRodimus

H0tRodimus Well-Known Member

I'm curious how anyone could hate the Big Bang Theory...let alone say they've never hated anything more. It's just a TV show, a pretty damn funny one at that...best sitcom on television IMO especially since Charlie Sheen left Two and a Half Men. Truth of the matter whether anyone here likes it or not, the show does a good job portraying nerds and their hobbies all the while adding some humor that is much needed in today's world. I think there's plenty of things to rightfully hate, but unsure why a harmless and quite beloved television show is one of them.

18. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    I am a game nerd and a Transformer toy collector nerd. Everything else is normal. Sort of...

Don't care for most T.V shows, MMO's or RTS style games though.

19. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I've never had this kind of nerd, nor do I care about wanting it or not.

I like what I like because I like it. If others want to see me as a "nerd", a "geek", or whatever, that's their prerogative I suppose. It doesn't make me care about it any more, though.

I think things are a bit different once one exits the social pool of high school or college even, and the need for such labels diminishes quite a bit. Growing up, I was a studious person, I disliked most sports (though I've enjoyed basketball as a spectator event until Jordan retired, and I'll always enjoy the game itself), and always drifted towards sci-fi/fantasy/comic bookish things.

Now, I'm still virtually the same person, except Transformers is much more of a main interest. I enjoy movies much more so than comic books (though I'll always love sequential artwork).

Eh, my apologies for not adding much here, but that's about the extent of it with me I suppose.

20. Ironhide1706

Ironhide1706 Elessar Telcontar

I like superheroes (DC and Marvel) and Transformers. I'm not a huge fan of the Star Wars films, but I like KOTOR a lot.