Id like some opinions G1 vs Reissue/Encore

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by rustyshark, Sep 12, 2009.

1. rustyshark

rustyshark G1 FTW

Well heres my dilemma
    id like to start picking up more G1 or G1 inspired toys.
    Let me start off by saying I dont ever keep my toys in box. I rarely even keep the box except on rare occasions, if the box is cool, if its a higher price figure ect.
    I dont ever plan to resell anything but i guess ya never know.
    There are a bunch of G1 toys id like to pick up and most of them have encore/reissues for the most part. Namely like Ultra Magnus, Sky Lynx among many others.
    On ebay I can find complete original G1 toys of the figures I want for between 40-70 dollars usually. The encore counterparts in box are usually about the same or even alot more. Part of me would rather have the original toys instead of a reissue but thats where im really torn. With original you have to worry about how much play wear they have compared to a reissue where you can find them in brand new state. Part of me feels that I would like and appreciate the older figures more than a reissue.
    In collecting Ninja Turtles throughout the years I found that I liked my originals more than the reissues and almost looked down on the reissues as not being the same since they werent older toys even tho they were the same figure. But im not sure if I feel the same about Transformers.
    So I guess what im asking is what do you guys think. Do you apreciate the older toys more than the reissues and for what reasons. To me there is just something about having the original but im not sure at the sacrifice of play wear vs new. Even tho I only collect for myself and not for resale value, in my psyche it kinda lingers in my head that a G1 original would be worth more than a reissue so I take more pride in it.
    I dunno guess im kinda torn and looking what others think on the topic.

2. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly if you can find a complete original for less then the reissue go for it.

IMO the main up side to getting a reissue is getting it clean and theirs little risk of it being broken and if it is you could return it and get another.

3. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i like originals better, there is always a slight change in the paint or molding with the encores, tru are either missing chrome or have ridiculously long missiles

for originals, get them off the boards, and ask for pics, like for example UM, i have one, in mint shape, original, with rubber tires etc. but i am not letting it go until the City Commander upgrade kit comes out.

just ask for detailed descriptions of the four main points chrome-wear, paint-wear, sticker-wear (reprolabels can fix that) and tightness of joints, usually people on here will tell you exactly how they are and will take you pics

4. rustyshark

rustyshark G1 FTW

lol yea see i see a few original UM on ebay for like 60-70 complete. but encores are between 80 up to 140 which makes no sense to me. really lookin to get UM, Blaster and Sky Lynx and maybe some more. Every time I look for them on here people always PM me with MIB or MISB and asking the MISB prices for them. Im looking for loose ones and loose prices lol.

5. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    put loose preferred in your want ad, and keep an eye on the junkion, a lot of people that have them don't look over the want ads either

6. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    There's nothing like holding the original in your hands, IMO.

In some cases with battery operated Transformers I would consider getting reissues, namely Sky Lynx and Omega Supreme. There are working G1 battery powered figures, but with a reissue you know you're getting a toy with the best chance of having lights, sounds, etc.

7. rustyshark

rustyshark G1 FTW

i put only loose when i post lol. still have people trying to offload afa and whatever on me lol. while i appreciate the offers for those, there is no way i would purchase them.

8. blahduh

blahduh Well-Known Member

hmm, i don't think it cost $60-$70 to get a complete g1 UM in ebay, more likely $30-$50 loose

9. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    well i guess it would depend on what variant it is. If it's the one missing all the paint apps and with plastic wheels I'd agree 30 would be right but people seem to pay alot more for one of the early releases that still had the rubber wheels

10. Napjr

Napjr <b><font color=gold>Mr. Internet</font><br><font c Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You can always get a cheap reissue too and sell the boxes, some people (myself included), might want a new box for their originals, even if its a reissue

11. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have a complete collection of original G1, as well as every G1 reissue from both Hasbro and Takara. Unless you're totally in the mindset of MUST HAVE ORIGINAL, I can think of no reason to purchase loose, potentially worn/chipped G1 when a DEAD MINT reissue is available.

12. rustyshark

rustyshark G1 FTW

well in certain cases i will buy reissue. wish i woulda picked up reissues when they were still in stores. i will pick up the insecticons and perceptor reissues for sure lol. i have 25th prime and while i love him and all, id love him even more if it were the original toy.

13. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    This

14. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    absolutely right, my rubber tired ones sold from 70-90 complete, most of the plastic wheels don't do so good

15. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    I prefer originals mostly, but I do have some reissues. Do your homework first and try to find information about each reissue.

A lot of the Encore reissues are not good, IMO, because of mold degradation. that is usually on the most popular ones like Prime, Soundwave, Starscream, Megatron.

Also, the quality of plastic used is in question as well. I have found this can go both ways. Some reissues seem "loose" compared to an original to me.

Sky Lynx and Omega are decent Encore releases, since they have not been re-released before. I would go with a reissue Blaster, as I have found the originals tape deck sticks a lot, and won't open.

As long as the original is not chipped, you can replace the worn stickers with reprolabels.com stickers.

Most guys might not want to do that, but, it is very satisfying to look at the toy you restored to like new condition, it is a great feeling.

16. blahduh

blahduh Well-Known Member

$65 shipped with box and styro, 100% complete painted variation, this one got no bids.
    g1 ultra magnus - eBay (item 220476308019 end time Sep-07-09 21:26:54 PDT)

$44 shipped loose complete painted variation
    Transformers g1 Ultra Magnus complete non-reissue - eBay (item 220477415513 end time Sep-07-09 17:20:53 PDT)

$53 shipped MIB(quite decent box), only missing 2 small fists, again, painted variation, sticker unused.
    Transformers G1 Ultra Magnus W/ Box Almost Complete!!! - eBay (item 370250544037 end time Sep-06-09 17:00:00 PDT)

Sure, there're some high ending prices, but why pay more when u can get it for less, the above 3 are all recent auctions. As always, completed price check is your friend.

17. redoptics

redoptics Banned

the toys are just better built back in the days i got my hands on silverstreak the other day and the quality is nowhere near bluestreaks and the jazz reissue has a stupid smirk stick to the original better quality all together

18. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm surprised by the responses in this thread. Over the years it's been my observation that usually people suggest that for the casual collector, reissues are the way to go.

I suppose at the end of the day, it's how the original poster feels about having something that is actually 25 years old, or having a recreation of that. I still strongly recommend reissues, simply due to the opportunity to have a perfecty mint figure with tight joints and no play wear. Of course, I don't subscribe to the OMG IT'S NOT ORIGINAL G1 SO ITS CRAP mindset, so that may be a part of my perspective.

19. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

Originals are AWESOME, but finding them in the same shape as a re-issue, is next to impossible if you're looking for loose ones.

95% of them have paint wear, chrome wear, yellowing, stickers peeling, and or weapons missing, etc...

Even the nicest ones, have scratches and finger prints, and just can't compare to a re-issue, which are brand new.

Originals are great, but myself, I love the re-issues just because they are absolutely mint, brand new! super shiny chrome, glossy paint, stickers with perfect edges XD

And don't get me wrong, you can get Originals in just as nice condition, but it'll cost you a fortune.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  20. Nez Pierce

Nez Pierce @evildanish

News Credits:
    I can see both sides...but I have no qualms about mixing reissues in with my remaining G1 and G2 pieces. If I had the choice between a loose original and a boxed reissue at the same price, most times I'd take the reissue.

inb4zhongjinisevil