ickey woods son dies of asthma attack

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by optimusprime42, Aug 15, 2010.

1. optimusprime42

optimusprime42 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    Former Bengal's Son Dies After Asthma Attack - Health News Story - WLWT Cincinnati

SHARONVILLE --
    Princeton High School officials said Jovante Woods, the son of a former Cincinnati Bengal, passed away after suffering an asthma attack.

Athletic Director Scott Kaufman said Woods died at 8:30 p.m. Saturday.

School officials said the 16-year-old football player was practicing with the team Wednesday morning. He went home and suffered an episode about six hours later.

Extreme heat and poor air quality likely worsened the teen's condition, doctors said.

"We've actually had a lot of patients in the last week come in with exacerbation of asthma," said Dr. David Bernstein, a University of Cincinnati researcher. "We think it's probably related to air quality."

"He's a great student, and even besides being a great athlete, just an awesome, awesome kid," said former Bengal Joe Kelly.

His father, Ickey Woods, was a fullback for the Bengals from 1988 to 1991 before injuries ended his career.

"We've got phone calls out there are guys coming in," said former Bengal Joe Walter. "They'll be in when they can to support Ickey, too. He needs our help right now."

Walter said he would expect nothing less from his former teammates.

"We're a big family, (and) that group from the 80s and 90s, we're a bunch of brothers," Walter said. "One of our brothers needs help, and I'm here to support today."

The Woods family lacks health insurance, and Kelly said his former teammate did not earn as much money during his playing career as some fans might expect.

"It's a different era, different generation, (and) unfortunately we weren't making the millions, a lot of money like people thought we were making," Kelly said.

2. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    my condolences to Mr.woods , no one should have to bury there child.

3. One

One Well-Known Member

Man :(  my Prayers and condolences go out to Mr. Woods and his family I can't imagine losing a son. Asthma is hell to have I know because my sister in law has it bad and she suffers from it so does my mom but she doesn't have it that bad.

4. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh God that sucks. For what its worth, I have asthma so I understand how hard it was for you Woods.

RIP :( 

5. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    I have asthma and every time I read that someone dies from it, I get a little more scared.

I'm doing everything I can to control it though. Advair, Singulair, and Albuterol.

But yeah. It's like drowning minus the water. A horrible way to go. :( 

6. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Sad :( 

7. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

Sad. :(  Asthma is no joke.

8. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it!

News Credits:
    Thankfully my brother outgrew his asthma...but there were times. &.. lots of trips to the ER... feel so sorry for this family..16 is way too young.. :rip 

9. optimusprime42

optimusprime42 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    joe is going to be buried in california

10. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    poor guy, i have asthma, i should have died SEVERAL times, but i am still here. To everyone with asthma or kids with asthma, GET A CHIHUAHUA, it is the greatest thing you can do to combat asthma....when i was little i was on all these kind of steroid inhalers and a sick little boy, then we got my chihuahua, he is now 9 years old (he is the standard size, not a tiny teacup thing) and in 6 months i was off those steroid inhalers and gained a healthy appetite, now i RARELY need my liquid abuterol

get one, there is no better medicine

11. 643cade

643cade Well-Known Member

How horrible. :(