iBook sound problems

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nerdling, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:
    Hey dudes, hopefully one of you can help me out;

So I downloaded Pacifist to install Quicktime 7.2 over 7.3 so I could listen to an important audio file I had recorded on Qualcomm Purevoice. After doing so, the sound, internet, and battery icons on the top righthand corner of my system tray are gone. Along with this, anything that plays sound will automatically crash.

When I click on my iTunes icon it wont start up, it will just crash. My Quicktime wont even start up. If I push the volume up or down buttons on my keyboard the whole screen will go blue

I've tried downloading and reinstalling both iTunes and Quicktime, and looked for new software updates but still no luck. This really really sucks as I cant do anything with audio, I cant see my internet/wifi icon, and my whole iBook is just running really slow. Please help!

2. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Dude, it sounds like a hardware issue with the sound card component, potentially. No computer, the wrong kind (mac joke) or not should behave like that.

3. Nerdling

Ebay:
    But it happened AFTER installing Quicktime 7.2 over 7.3 with Pacifist. I still think it's a software problem. I've had this happen before but I fixed it by reinstalling the updated version of the program. For some reason that isn't working this time. I also tried reinstalling the default programs from the CDs that came with my iBook. So short of reinstalling OSX I've done everything.

Also, when I turn my iBook on it still makes that "DUN!!!" sound, so yeah, I doubt it's the hardware.

4. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    You might need to do an "Archive and install" of OS X, that will preserve your programs (delete Quicktime first) and the new System will be in place, another way to go about it is to start up from a Ext. HD, and then that way you can back up the important stuff so you can start over completely, remove all sound programs, and then install one at a time, starting with the safest program and work your way to the most offending program.

5. Nerdling

Ebay:
    Thanks for the info dude. I think I'm going to take it in to see if they can do something about it. I backed up anything that was important just incase they do an overhaul. You guys were more helpful than the geeks in the macforums. Kudos :thumb 

6. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    You might also want to run the disk utlities program. It could just be a minor problem. Anytime you install new software it's best to run it because it it can confuse new with old programs until the securities are fixed.