I would like to sit down and talk to DC about a Justice League movie.....

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by PRIMEMAN3457, Jun 18, 2012.

1. PRIMEMAN3457

PRIMEMAN3457 Leader

News Credits:
    DC needs to sit down and think about what they're going through. They recently posted updates on the Justice League movie, though not everyone is getting as excited as we normally would. Why?
    Because there hasn't been ANYTHING in any of the DC movies so far that would tie-in.

PLUS:
    - Nolan's Batman series is ending, so we will have to see a reboot, but knowing DC, they might rush the JA movie.
    - Man Of Steel is said to be separate from Nolan's series (says Mr. Snyder), which means it might not be related to the JA film since Nolan's films weren't.
    - Green Lantern is being considered to have a sequel, or a reboot with or without Ryan Reynolds.
    - There are still current attempts at Wonder Woman, Flash, and (I think) Aquaman, which isn't bad. That's actually a good thing.

So, I'd like to talk with DC about how I think they could try to put their stuff together. But since I can't literally go talk to them, I'll just share my ideas here:

Superman:
    Let the Man Of Steel, or a possible sequel (if MOS is successful enough to get one), tie in to anything involving the Justice League. Also, if they do let that or a possible sequel tie in, don't make it rated R. Audiences would be confused if a bunch of PG-13 movie heroes were with a R-rated movie hero.
    Also, somehow let Darkseid be hinted for an appearance in a sequel or in the JA movie at some point, whether it's in MOS or another film.

Batman:
    Definitely make a Reboot. Nolan's series was a great series. However, it seemed a bit too realistic and dramatic to be part of a JA universe. Wait for at least 4-5 years.
    Why? That's how long it's been since the last Spiderman film, as that series is being rebooted; Same thing for the Hulk. This may delay the JA film's release date, but not only is it better then rushing it, but in the meantime, we can get films for other JA members.

Wonder Woman:
    Make it. Don't let it end up like how that proposed TV series was, which ended up only with a pilot episode that was never released.

The Flash:
    Make it. Nothing more.

Aquaman:
    Not the biggest fan of him, but if he's a major JA member, then make a film of him.

Green Latern:
    I saved this one for last since I have more to say about this one. I was okay with the 2011 film. Could've been better, wasn't as bad; it was alright.
    If they have Ryan Reynolds return as Hal Jordan, then I would like to see him in a conflict that would have an element that would tie-in to the JA film.

However, if we DON'T see Ryan return, then I still have an idea. Don't remake the film and reintroduce everything. Keep the other Green Lanterns the same. Just have the film follow another Lantern from Earth, like Alan Scott for example. As for an explanation for Hal Jordan not being around, it could either be...

1- He's out protecting the Green Lantern Corps.

2- Sinestro is using the Yellow Ring to kill other Laterns, in which Hal Jordan could be killed.

Basically, a GL film without Hal Jordan could be about another Human Lantern stopping Sinestro from killing off the Green Lantern Corps. There may be a way for the film to tie-in to the JA film, but I can't think of a way right now.

A Seventh Member:
    In the original JA, there were 7 members, so it would make sense to have 7 members. We already got 6 counted, and we need one more, unless they decided to have 6.
    Either have Martian Manhunter or Green Arrow. Martin Manhunter is a no-brainer, but why do I suggest Green Arrow too?

Well, Green Arrow is probably the first character to be successfully made something live-action since Batman, Superman, and GL (apparently). Also, a Green Arrow film has been said to be worked on, but I rather have the one from the up-coming series to appear. JA doesn't have to be canon to the series, but at least have the actor from the series AND a reason that makes sense for the series AND the JA film.

Finally..
    The Justice League film:
    Make the antagonist Darkseid. Have an enemy of a individual member be one of his accomplices.

Also, I would enjoy it if they made the film inspired by the 2001-2004 series.
    Can't go on with thoughts about anything JA or DC related for now.

Thoughts?

2. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They need to do a reverse Marvel. Justice League movie staring Superman and Batman to bring in the crowds and introduce them to the charactes the general public doesn't know. Then split Flash, Wonderwoman, etc into their own movies For all the fanboy hype Green Lantern got, the movie proved he sure isn't as popular as some view him to be.

Aquaman? The guy is just a punchline to the general public. Got a problem with your goldfish, call Aquaman. Anything else? Get someone better. Leave him for after a JL movie.

Green Lanter. If not Hal Jordan/Reynolds, either recast Hal or go with John Stewart to get some diversity in the heroes. Daily Show jokes aside.

Of course, both you and I are just internet armchair directors and DC has much better things to do then listin to us.

3. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I still think doing a Justice League movie before the character's spin-off movies would backfire tremendously, The Avengers worked so well because each character already had its own little universe, its own character development, personality and experiences, you already knew this characters from their own movies.

Sure, a JL movie before the spin-offs would work. But it would severely undercut the potential of such project.

4. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
  5. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
  6. PRIMEMAN3457

PRIMEMAN3457 Leader

News Credits:
    My big problem with DC is that none of their films have anything that ties into another film or the JA universe, because the filmmakers themselves made their films separate from each other. But at the same time, DC is going off to make a JA film.

About JA before spin-offs: Make spin-offs of 2 Avenger Members after The Avengers is one thing, but making spin-offs of ALL of the JA members is a different thing.

Basically, DC doesn't give a crap about continuity within the potential JA universe they could be creating right now. Instead, they want to rush things through to cash in the success of team-crossover films.

7. Jochimus

Jochimus Well-Known Member

Pretty much this. It doesn't matter any more what DC properties they "green-light"...I have no faith in WB to even be willing, let alone able, to really put thought, effort AND good judgment into any DC character in the stable that isn't Batman (and even that was trial-and-error..."Batman & Robin", anyone?). Seriously, the only reason "Man of Steel" is getting made is to get around a lawsuit stipulation; it isn't Superman they care about, it's the money the character will cost them if they lose any more claim to him as a property.

Nothing DC does at this point IMO is going to come across as anything but a reaction to being trumped by Marvel. And yeah, with Marvel now having the third highest-grossing movie of all time under its belt, I'd venture to say that DC has been trumped in a way that WB's "Save Us, Batman!!!" mentality is just not going to get them out of in the foreseeable future. But that's just me.

8. StarYoshi14

StarYoshi14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is the way it has been for the last few years. Marvel makes the good movies, but their cartoons suck (Avengers and Spectacular were great before they got canned). DC makes the bad movies (except Batman), but their TV shows are amazing.

9. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

"They stood on the shoulders of geniuses, and before they even knew what the had, the patented it and packaged it and now they slap it on a plastic lunchbox and they're selling it, selling it."

This quote is entirely apropros. Warner Brothers wants to compete against Disney and Marvel, they want it so badly they will risk anything and everything to achieve the true goal.

Sadly they don't realize that what made The Avengures work was the long storied process of crafting a film series that defies what it means to be a film series.

For over a decade Marvel has strived to create Hollywood Success with their characters, expand out of the comic medium and grab the attention of people who love super heroes, but don't want to invest time and money in month after month of multiple books being published.

In the 90's we saw Marvel's efforts pay off on the small screen with a little something called Spider-Man and X-Men, two cartoon series that really defined what it meant to compete against the likes of Batman TAS. There were shorter run series, Iron-Man, Fantastic Four, The Hulk and yes even Silver Surfer and The Avengers, but without Spider-Man and the X-Men they would have had no hope of battling against the works of Paul Dini and his intrepid world building cartoons.

So Marvel chose their most iconic characters who had great success in the 90's and started working to push them into the public eye on the large screen. For a time DC's characters were a big success on the large screen, with the decades past Chris Reeves Superman and Tim Burton's Batman being the big impressive canvas on which the animated series drew inspiration from.

Marvel had great success with Spider-Man and X-Men at the box office, but it wasn't entirely their pie, the profits went to more than just Marvel. Enter Walt Disney, who came in and helped them branch out with their own studio. And their Avenger Initiative. The events in the film ironically enough give us a glimpse at what had to happen to make the movies even possible in the first place.

Marvel worked to earn the audiences trust, it wasn't one big smooth ride either, with films like Fantastic Four and Ang Lee's Hulk being utter flops and of course who can forget the horrible train wreck that was Daredevil and The Punisher franchise.

The being said, Marvel pressed on and earned the trust of the audiences. Their heroes were in the public eye, the big three came out individually and built up something that ultimately led to where we are now. The Avengers is still going strong and has become the talk of the world. It was such a huge success it convinced Paramount to pull back on releasing G.I.Joe Retaliation for whatever reason that still hasn't been made clear to the fans of the franchise.

Let us look at the reverse. What has DC done in Hollywood to make their films work, to earn the trust of the audience? Well apparently jack shit, look at how they treat two of their very own big three, Batman and Superman have become part of the holy trio at DC and part of the JL almost as founding members as it were. But their film franchises would never support them appearing in a big budget super hero cross like Avengers has. Why?

Because Nolan insists on keeping Batman grounded in reality, taking him out of the larger DC universe and making him a single hero in a city filled with crime where fantastical things like super powerful aliens and glowing green space rocks just can't ever exist.

Then you've got the love letter to Chris Reeves' Superman films made by director Bryan Singer. Seriously, that thing was nowhere near what modern audiences wanted to see with Superman. It was panned for being too much like the films from the 70's.

And then you've got the major big ticket contender against Thor, GL, GL was a total flop. An utter travesty, I think they may have made back what they spent on some of the film, but in the end run it just couldn't hold a candle next to Thor.

Warner Brothers has had a partnership with DC for a very long time, but they don't understand how to market these characters outside of the comic book medium except on the small screen. Television is where we get such things as Smallville and the numerous WB DC Cartoon series.

If it weren't for Nolan the Batman film franchise would be still be suffering from the stench that was Batman & Robin.

If you want to see a successful JL film of any type than DC and WB definitely have to take a step back and re-evaluate just why Avengers worked in the first place. And why the films will continue to be a success as long as the paying audience feels invested in these characters. Until they do, unless they somehow manage to harness lightning in a bottle they are never going to enjoy the same success as Marvel's Hollywood Masterpiece, or even Nolan's revived Batman Franchise.

This is all just my opinon, feel free to disagree with it all you want, all I'm going to say on the subject is. I have never felt invested in a DC Movieverse like I have with Marvel's Movieverse. I sat through Green Lantern, I watched it, I even stayed through the entire credits and wound up seeing some stupid add from DC to go buy GL books instead of something interesting like an end credits sequence, like most Marvel films have tried. And I still can't get behind the character. I guess because DC just doesn't know how to ground their characters into reality, unless their name is Batman.

10. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I don't get it - what potential continuity are they not taking advantage of? There is nothing to take advantage of. No groundwork has been laid. Up until The Avengers, the possibility of any kind of team movie was nil. In fact, DC/WB have treated each of their properties as separate entities because the possibility of a JLA movie was so small.

The Avengers changed all that.

The Justice League does not exist in Nolan's Batman movies and DC/WB were not going to put a completely different Batman on the screen because it would interfere with Nolan's movies. A Batman reboot is necessary, but not necessary to make a JLA movie work.

Besides, I'm tired of Bale's Batman and want something more akin to what we've got in the Arkham video games.

If DC/WB were smart, and I don't know that they are, they'd use the upcoming Man of Steel movie to plant the seeds for a larger DC universe where the JLA is possible. Superman is the first superhero and it only makes sense for a new Superman movie to be the first step to a larger DC world.

Until then, there's nothing to take advantage of.

11. ABH1979

ABH1979 Anonymous Bucket Head Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Pinterest:
    This. Avengers was a blockbuster, and I'm happy for Marvel, but seriously, Batman and Superman alone are bigger than the whole of Avengers parts. I'm not saying a JLA movie is a sure bet, especially after the mis-fires DC/WB has had, I just mean as far as pop culture awareness goes.

So yeah, people will come to see the "Batman & Superman (and maybe Wonder Woman) show" and will hopefully become interested in the other JLAers. Do spinoffs as necessary.

Agreed. Animated series and features is still the one thing that DC does best. Which is kind of odd, considering Disney should know a thing or two about animation...

12. PRIMEMAN3457

PRIMEMAN3457 Leader

News Credits:
    The potential continuity DC could be making isn't there because all of the filmmakers of the movies for GL, Batman, and Superman kept their movie separate. Though the makers of GL said nothing about JA during the production of GL (well, from what I know), Nolan and Snyder already said their films do not go into JA.
    I think rebooting Batman for a JA film is better then making ANOTHER Nolan film that goes into JA. Like I said, Nolan's films were too realistic for JA.

But I do agree that Man Of Steel SHOULD be the first to tie into the JA universe. If we get a Superman movie that opens a chance to create a JA Cinematic Universe, then there's that continuity we were waiting for.

13. PRIMEMAN3457

PRIMEMAN3457 Leader

News Credits:
    I can't imagine Superman and Batman starting anything in a JA movie if they won't have the Batman/Superman crossover that was first announced in 2002.

14. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Sadly Disney fired their core american animation team in the early 2000's almost all their animation comes out of india or Japan these days. At least the TV ones. They wanted CG. It didn't work well on their own efforts, so they bought Pixar. They never seemed to learn that the story is what they were lacking, and made a series of Bad sequels to their classic movies that didn't go over well with audiences, and most went straight to DVD.

They also don't want to spend money on animation. If you compare much of their modern efforts like Phineas and Ferb, and compare it to their old 80's 90's series like Gumi Bears, Duck Tales, Gargoyles, etc you can see the animation has gone down in quality.

Keep in mind Disney doesn't animate Avengers, that's done by Film Roman
    Man Of Action does Ultimate Spider-man
    Both are outside studios and they are storyboarded here and shipped overseas for animation.

15. PRIMEMAN3457

PRIMEMAN3457 Leader

News Credits:
    I have never seen any sequel for a classic disney movie. I never bothered to do so.
    The sequels for Toy Story still kept the greatness the first had, but I can't say the same for Cars 2. (I thought Cars was good, but nothing compared to Toy Story or other Pixar Classivs)
    A lot of companies these days get their TV shows from out their own company, let alone outside the USA. This, of course, is from what I see. And when these networks do come up with original ideas, they end up being crap or average. (cough, CN with Annoying Orange, cough cough)

16. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I agree with a lot of what the OP said. There is no need to rush the movie. They need to make at least one movie for each character to introduce characters and storylines and to help build hype for the movie. I am a big fan of Green Lantern and I think there should be another movie for that even though it isn't necessary. Maybe they can use Kyle Rayner. However, I think Darkseid should be saved for another Justice League movie. I think that the first JLA movie should have Brainiac taking control of the Manhunters and attacking Earth with them.

17. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Honestly, I'd be cool with simply piggybacking this into the Nolanverse for the sake of well, a more realistic approach to everyone.

18. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I don't think this would work with a character like The Flash though.

19. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    ^This.

20. StarYoshi14

StarYoshi14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Disney channel is full of the same damn sitcoms nowadays. Phineas and Ferb is the diamond in the rough. Which is a shame, because Avengers and even Ultimate Spiderman are better than whatever the hell sitcoms Disney Channel is making nowadays.