I would like to see "less is more" in TF3.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Recall, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    My main problem with TF2 feedback from the TF fandom is the whole: "The characters wern't developed enough yet for TF3 I want a hundred new transformers"

You can't have both.

We don't need both.

I'm a huge fan of less is more, meaning you take a small roster of established Transformers and flesh them out further so when they do something or don't do something it really resonates and makes an impact. Focus and what you have without distractions.

Would others like an approach such as this or prefer something else?

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Yes.

However we frown upon sensible ideas that would make a great movie here. You have been warned.

Commence browbeatings.

3. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    i would want TF3 to be shorter and be at the longest of 120 minutes,don't get me wrong i like long movies but i think it will eventually get boring so to be honest i wouldn't mind a 90 minute TF3,as for your opinion i think that if they did that i would enjoy the movies much better than i already do.

4. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

I've always felt that the minor characters (such as Sideswipe and Arcee) just needed to have a minute or two of dialogue with another character and we'd get a feel for who they are based on that.

Of course, dialogue isn't explosions :p 

5. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Which characters would you like in the movie but knowing you wanted them to be fully developed and have meaning while sticking to your shorter time?

For Autobots I would have:

Optimus Prime continuing his forever goal of protecting the people of earth and his fellow autobots from evil.

Sideswipe would show his personality, possibly as a being who is highly competive while a little stubborn for it. Maybe even a "brotherly" rivaly with say Bumblebee.

Bumblebee pretty much carry on as the reliable one while finally showing maturity and acting as if the second in command, and actually achieving that goal.

6. Spoon

Spoon Banned

This has inspired me to make a one-page plot synopsis for how I would have done ROTF.

Wish me luck.

7. swampflight

swampflight Banned

Are you insane?

Are you seriously suggesting that Bay gives up the opportunity to sell another 10-15 more overpriced action figures and make a movie with a GOOD STORYLINE?Have you been living in a cave?

8. Kraken2009

Kraken2009 Megatron's Right Hand

Knowing Bay, he would probably kill off a few characters, thus making room for some development.
    Bay likes killing.....and explosives. Explosive killing?:thumbs2: 

9. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I was all for it from the very start. Were it up to me, the films would have focused on a core cast of six Autobots and six Decepticons, max.

10. Primesfist

Primesfist Well-Known Member

I know what you mean, but I'm not bothered as long as they give each Transformer a name, some dialogue and not just throw them in there for the sake of it. The final battle could have been soooooo much better.

11. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I agree you can have too many character in a film that makes for a bad film. Just compare the limited cast of the first Mortal Kombat film to the second film where they worked in every Mortal Kombat character made until that point. The first movie was okay for an almost B movie action film, the second film with character over load is almost unwatchable.

On the topic of less there are few other things we need less of.

Unless they are deep on character then action movies don't need to be 2 1/2 hours long. Under 2 hours would make a nice trim roller coaster film ride.

The humor really needs to be cut back as well. I'm not saying that the film should not have any humor as humor is an excellent tool for pacing a film or changing the tone when you need to. But like too many characters you can have too much humor in an action film.

Fewer plot points going nowhere would also be nice. Sometimes films feel little too much like they are all over the place so a shorter more focused film would be nice.

Less of the twins. Well that's just my personal thing because I really don't like the buggers at all so if we have too much of them in the third film I might have to seriously consider passing on the third film like I did with X-Men 3 because of how they were doing Juggernaut.

12. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I think it was just a misunderstanding. People said 'We want more Transformers in the next movie' when what they should've said was 'We want more of Transformers in the next movie'.
    We didn't so much want a bigger TF cast (or hundreds of nameless robots and clones thrown around), we just wanted more done with the TF we already had.
    What we do need less of in the next movie is humans. And before the misunderstanding of this brings some kind of hyperbole crap raining down on my post, I don't mean planet Earth has just ten humans living on it, I mean less humans taking bigger roles in the film.

13. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I've seen the movie 5 times and my last viewing was a month ago. I've decided that I don't care for the Twins. It has nothing to do with the "controversy" surrounding them. I just think they took away screentime that could've been utilized for Sideswipe, Arcee, and Jolt (which many have said before). I honestly feel that Jetfire and Wheelie were better for the comedy relief than Skids and Mudflap. But whatever.

14. SlyTF

SlyTF Banned

Hell no, I want more robots more explosions, and more bad humor! I want TF3 to be longer and bigger. ROTF was too short for me

15. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So you can annoy another cinema-full of innocent bystanders by shouting through the film like a 5-year-old?

16. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Its post like this that really don't help threads. Its like baiting someone and it just turns things into the same repetitive mess.

Would you like to add something to the thread based on the original topic raised?

17. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

How is my post not helping the thread? Or better yet, how is it similar to baiting? I'm essentially agreeing with what you said earlier. That I would've liked to see less filler characters and more screen time allocated to others.

18. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree with the less characters thing, plus with the whole CLONE ARMY THING they can just use the same models for all Decepticons again recoloring or flatout reusing the TF/TF2 villains cutting alot of costs.

19. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Sorry, I don't buy into the idea that every character must be well developed or not in the film at all. There's nothing wrong with putting in several cameos as long as they are recognizable or distinguishable. Look at how many characters the Star Wars movies packed in - many with a spoken line even. It just needs to be done in a way that enhances the scene rather than for the sake of having more.

20. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    ...and before anyone says Hasbro wouldn't be happy with this (as in, having the same limited cast) :

Well, although I'm quite happy with the movie toys, there is room for improvement ; some facts :
    - Lack of paint apps
    - Some very obvious budget cutbacks on joints/hinges compared to the concept
    Master version of the toys.

So, yeah..I'm also for quality over quantity.