I wonder if the new trend for Classics will be Beast Wars? Also, $50 for a deluxe?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I noticed the new United figures are beast wars figures. I wonder if Takara is headed toward that direction?

I personally would like it if they finished off the classics G1 line before going the Beast Wars way.

Another interesting trend is that Takara's prices now match Fans Project prices. I didn't expect this to happen so soon. But I guess Takara realized they can charge $50 a figure and get away with it now.

Anyone wanna tell me as collectors we are not getting screwed? I am ready to hear the same old, exchange rate, cost went up, blah blah blah. But in all honesty, you would just be arguing with yourself. Cause the people that always post this are the same people who always say third party company toys will always be more expensive because they don't have the same resources as Has/Tak.

Right now FP stuff, which is better then Has/Tak stuff is the same price as the United figures. Love the ripping off we are getting.

2. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    My only issue with Beast Wars in the Classics line is that it follows the Classics formula too well.

Cheetor and Dinobot were awesome to see redone but then they went and revamped them completely and we ended up with worst moulds than the originals. If that will be the case I say, "Keep it!" Continue on with G1 and bring on a lot of FOC character.

Personally, aside from a few exceptions, Beast Wars already got the figures right.

About the cost....You all know where I stand on that and how I feel about the lame exchange rate , workers wages , rent blah blah BS.

3. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    I think Takara-Tomy is just taking advantage of molds they have but never released in their market while they're preparing new figures. If there was a brand new classic beast warrior announced along side Primal and Beast Megatron, then maybe I'd say yeah. But considering they're being released along side Energon Sharkticon and Cybertron Unicron, I'm inclined to say no.

As for everything else, this always has been and always will be an expensive hobby. It wasn't that long ago that for the cost of a Legend size figure, you could get a Basic. Everything is getting more expensive and ultimately, these are luxury items that we could all live without.

So you're either stuck paying the asking price new, or wait a couple years and troll the Junkion Exchange. Somebody's always looking to offload their figures for dirt cheap.

4. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's impossible. No one would ever agree that a classics line is "finished."

5. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You hit the nail on the head with that one. To quote my favorite childhood comedian

lol!

This is an expensive hobby that continues to increase due to the brands GROWING fanbase.

If you don't wanna spend 50 bucks, don't spend 50 bucks. Just PLEASE stop making threads about how much figures cost. Seems like every other thread gets derailed with pricing complains.

"I WILL NOT BUY XYZ FIGURE BECAUSE IT IS 50 BUCKS"

Cool, don't buy it! My thing is, the people who make these complains at 50 are the same people that usually wait till the figure is sold out and then pay 80 for it.

What did you really save?

6. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't care for BW figures personally, but I don't mind them being part of the Classics line. My main issue (and what prevented me from bothering with these originally) was the stupid Cybertron key gimmick that those figures never needed. I also hope Takara using that Tank Megatron mold doesn't prevent us from getting a more G2-accurate Tank Megatron (cannon on the shoulder, not in place of a hand). And there are still a lot of G1/G2 characters to update. Like Shockwave being made into an Apache-style assault copter (since he probably won't be a gun again).

+-MWG-+

7. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    As MHC said. This is an expensive hobby. Which toyline is more expensive than TF's? I really don't think any. We are part of the most expensive collecting community and as with everything the prices are only going to go higher.

I'm ok with all this because it is also a hobby that tends to hold a lot of its value so it's not like we are collecting worthless crap anyway. I think at this point, because of the movies and Hasbro's renewed investment in the property due to the films, TF's are perminent part of pop culture and TFs will never be considered junk or scrap plastic again.

8. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    If people want a cheaper version they can always buy the hasbro deluxe when it comes out. The figures will cost a lot less and hopefully some will feel like they aren't being "ripped off". Takara figures are usually premium figures and there are people willing to pay that. Just like they are for 3rd party figures.

9. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    Gundam
    Lego
    Revoltech

You asked.

10. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I did. And you get mega points for Lego. That stuff is crazy expensive.

The other two of not really domestic so I have to enquire. How do those prices compare to Takara prices not Hasbro?

11. Quixote_Prime

Quixote_Prime is missed.

News Credits:
    To answer the OP's question, can we get some MSRP in Yen for T-T? I can't find them. I'm not saying the OP's doing this but we can't base this off of preorder prices through BBTS or whatnot.

Of course, for most American collectors, we will have to pay import/markups from the likes of BBTS.

12. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    HLJ has them for 2,240 yen (with a retail of 2,800) and Unicron at 2,880 (with a retail of 3,600). That works out to $29.37 and $37.77 sale, $36.72 and $49.83 retail price respectively at current exchange rates.
    "transformers: united " | HobbyLink Japan

Suddenly, BBTS's prices do not seem so extreme.

13. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    had those kind of prices over here since beast wars - don't really see what the big deal is.

14. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT

News Credits:
    $20 Cyberverse Commanders
    $35 Deluxes
    $55 Voyagers
    $100 Leaders

Those are the prices for HASBRO Transformers over here. Takara figures in Japan are not quite at that level, but pretty close. Add to that the fact that you have to import the things from Japan, and United prices are pretty OK.

You do understand that US prices are ridiculously and artificially low because of Walmart and other big retail chains? The volume of sales also helps, but US buyers are notorious for their lack of brand loyalty - LEGO lost a bunch of sales to the vastly inferior MegaBlocks simply because US buyers are cheap.

15. alternator77

alternator77 Well-Known Member

id also like to add soul of chogokin

16. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    It is good to see oversea prices to keep things in perspective. I thought Canadian prices where high compared to the US prices but we still have it really good compared to overseas.

I can honestly say that if I were paying those prices I would never bitch about 3rd party prices. $35 a deluxe makes me want to cry.

17. kiyoshioni

kiyoshioni The Knife

I'd like to add anyone who collects polystone statues, or the anime resin figures. 125-300$ for a figure that has no articulation. No thank you. I'll take my 50$ transforming playable import toy please.

18. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Was that really necessary?*

*Edited after further consideration.

19. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT

News Credits:
    I'm not talking about individuals. I am talking about the general US purchasing population. I've seen numerous market research studies that show that US buyers are far thriftier than those from other countries. I'm sure that Hasbro would like nothing more than to sell $35 Deluxes in the US, but the problem is that a clone brand would appear within months and take away 90% of Hasbro's consumers because they don't care about the Transformers brand as much as they care about the low prices.

20. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My guess? Hasbro and Takara are focusing on finishing up the movie lines, and starting the Prime line. There simply isn't room for new Classics molds, so they're doing repaints to sustain the Generations/United line.

Or maybe it actually costs more to produce toys these days.

We aren't getting screwed because we aren't being forced to buy anything. The economy sucks and isn't getting better fast enough. Everything is more expensive.