I wish X had a third party add-on

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by TheDemonDzko, Apr 6, 2012.

1. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

Even though there is a growing abundance of third party products, and add-ons. I'm starting to feel as a fandom that we grow too dependent on them, to the point where I feel that the fandom itself is forgettings its roots of the Transformers franchise, and is simply buying said third party items due to its... Rarity? Slash near in-availability... I really have no idea, nor do I really see the appeal.

However, it really makes me think that teh fans of third party products are really taking Hasbro for granted. In the sense that I constantly see a slew of posters that complain about how "Hasblow dun know how tah n0t sell teh bumblebee." Yet, they turn around and praise third party products for being the greatest thing since sliced gravy.

Personally, I do not understand the appeal. I wish I did, so I could just be crazy over it like everyone else. But... something just nags me, between the outragous prices, and the little accuracy that they are halfly forced into, halfly to lazy to congure up. It just doesn't appeal to me.

But, perhaps someone could change my mind? I don't know...

What are your thoughts?

2. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Hasbro do a lot of things right. But how they package how many Bumblebee's in each wave isn't one of them.

3. mpau25

mpau25 Well-Known Member

i don't think most people buy 3rd parties due to the rarity, they buy them because they make existing figures look even better! at least that's what i do, I know i personally pass on 95% of the stuff released, but the few items i get are golden in my eyes!

supply and demand, if the upgrades were lazy and uninspired, they wouldn't sell. since they are selling, that tells you there's a market for em.

4. Geterman

Geterman Second Coming of Primus TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Generations FoC Bruticus needs a upgrade

5. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 RLRR LRLL News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    agreed. there should be a blast-off add on for the flame thrower and some cannons for bruticus' back

6. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    Methinks you're tarnishing a lot of different stuff (and different types of stuff) with a very broad brush.

7. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

That sure is a lot of brainpower wasted on something you claim to dislike. If people want to buy 47 different G1 Devestator upgrades, it's no skin off your nose.

On topic though, I agree that some people buy them just because they already have the figure and don't want to miss the boat on a limited production run. I guess what I mean to say is that I've been that guy once or twice. :)  Just last week I bought Headrobots Blood upgrade, put it on the figure, and went "Oh...ok. Well, that's cool I guess." Not really worth the money after all, and I probably would've realized that if I thought it through a bit better. Live and learn I guess.

8. bluesparrow

bluesparrow Puppet Prime Says Die

The problem is that Hasbro is primarly catering to a very large fanbase of kids who were brought in through the live action movies. The movie aesthetic, though not universally hated by the older fans, is a definite step away from the previous aesthetic of the toyline. And the gap widens with every new media tie-in.

And it's not just aesthetics, the emphasis on kid playability erodes some of the detail that older fans would prefer on the figures.

The third party companies OTOH cater exclusively to older fans, and hit them in the sweet spots of nostalgia-themed products, attention to detail, and complexity. The price is the main limiting factor; If FansProject, for example, were able to deliver $20 Voyagers I think you'd see a LOT less 3rd party detractors. The exorbitant price of 3rd party items appeal to a very small niche, but it's the most vocal niche and the one with the most disposable income. A pretty nice group to cater to, if you're doing things small scale. Fans and the companies both win. Whereas with Hasbro it's questionable that either they or the fans win, though Hasbro surely comes closest.

I would ask in response, what is the cause of antipathy towards 3rd party by some fans? I know the stock response is "IP Infringement is illegal!" but that's a weak answer, it's not a criminal offense so why the vitriol? And frankly the line is so blurry legally that we've yet to hear a clear answer about what is truly illegal and what isn't.

The closest I've heard is that it's probably infringement but it doesn't matter because Hasbro would just bury the 3rd parties under legal paperwork and run them out of business before it'd even be settled in a court of law. That's no kind of proof. Hasbro could sue me into bankruptcy for IP infringement and I've never done anything to infringe their IPs. I just don't have the money to fight back.

I get a sense that the 3rd party detractors feel that they're on Hasbro's "side" but I have to question why. Are you fans of transforming robots or the company Hasbro? If the former you ought to be glad there's alternatives to Hasbro, if the latter, well, Hasbro is a corporation, whose sole goal is to make money. Not judging them, but that's the nature of the beast. It seems to me a weird thing to be a fan of. If it's some sort of feeling like you "owe" them something for making something you like for so long, I can understand that, but IMO it's misplaced affection, we paid them for our figures. They weren't giving them away.

OT but the concept of being a fan of Hasbro and not transforming robots sort of reminds me of Star Trek fans who profess to be fans of the original 60s series characters like Kirk etc but hate the JJ Abrams movie, which makes me think they're not fans of Kirk but rather fans of William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy etc. A perfectly reasonable thing to be a fan of but one is not the other.

9. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    I don't know anyone who is buying third party items solely because they are rare (which isn't the case... most third party products are in-stock LONGER than most Hasbro items stay on the shelf, and are far EASIER to get than most Hasbro retail products as well!) -- they are buying them for the amazing engineering, articulation and, these days, size, that you just don't get on the majority of Hasbro's products anymore due to budget constraints or them aiming for a different demographic.

The majority of people who don't see the appeal in third party products have usually never owned or used one extensively. There is a reason most people love third party products and it has nothing to do with rarity.

Do yourself a favor and buy any of the FansProject Insecticons while they are on sale at BBTS and see for yourself why people love them.

I would say the reason why most people go for third party is what was listed above -- they are going for the adults, something Hasbro has still yet to do with Transformers, but something Takara does with their Masterpiece line. I'd love for Hasbro to take a page out of Mattel's playbook and make limited edition Transformers aimed solely at the collector and sell them online. After all, if third party companies are successful doing just this, and Mattel is successful at this with lines that are far less popular than Transformers, Hasbro could be as well. Hell, collectors snap up deluxe sized reused molds with new heads for $60 from Fun Pub, there is definitely a market towards a subline aimed solely at the collector, but Hasbro has no interest going into that space so third parties fill the void.

I'd definitely like to see Hasbro attempt something like Hercules, and you could piece it out like Mattel's Voltron; sell one limb online every month or two and throw extra budget at it to make it really amazing in return for a higher cost. Imagine what Hasbro's engineers could do without budget constraints? It'll never happen though, as when it comes to Transformers figures, Hasbro ignores anything but the child audience and normal retail channels even though there are plenty of adult collectors who want adult figures -- so third party fills that void.

10. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    I think you'll find ppl buy third party products because they are G1 characters built with modern day pose ability etc. HasTak haven't shown any interest in this area (rightly or wrongly) and are concentrating on the movie merchandise for the kids. This is all fine but the third parties are just filling a void that the (older?) fandom has been clamouring for. It seems the recent MP reveal may show HasTak may be changing it's stance but third party stuff sells well because we as the fans want it.

Not sure what you mean about 'little accuracy' tho? iGear's Ratchet/Ironhide, for example, couldn't be any more perfect if they tried.....perhaps a bit bigger but aesthetically they are G1 to a tee......and don't even try and estimate when we'd see a Devastator like Herc emerging from HasTak factories.....

11. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Well like a lot of other members, I feel certain 3rd party items can significantly enhance Transformers which they feel lacking (see City Commander and Classics Ultra Magnus, or the Gears of War add ons for Inferno, Mirage, Sideswipe etc). It's definitely not because they're rare. The entry of 3rd party items of course, has sort of changed the way people collect Transformers. Whereas before, feeling a figure is lacking, they'd have to kitbash or find some accessories to pair with their figures, whereas now, they just have to hope a 3rd party company comes out with the particular product. Is it pricey? Sure, but a lot of people prefer that to customizing or seeking out a particular old item on eBay or garage sales which may or may not fit. Of course, the 3rd party market has expanded beyond accessories now into full fledge robots, but again, people feel it complements their collection, and its their money to spend. Personally I've felt only City Commander was worth my money, but that's the thing about the collecting community, a lot of people have their own tastes. Some are particularly pro 3rd party, because well Hasbro doesn't have the resources to dedicate to such a niche market, and that's what the 3rd party focuses on. People just tend to forget that they end up paying way more for a toy than Hasbro ones, but again certain people feel they're worth it.

12. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wish PP01 Faith Leader had a trailer sized just right for him. Odd that iGear never made one considering they made a trailer for MP-01/04. They, the masters of unlocking -- er, shrinking molds XD -- could easily have come up with it just by taking their custom trailer and shrinking that down to the correct size.

Henkei/Universe Inferno and RTS/United Grapple need their head boxes (with attached side wings) to better reflect their G1 appearance.

Leader Sentinel Prime could use an accurate rust cannon, but I believe fakebusker83 already designed one in his Shapeways store along with a slew of other nifty add-ons (parts and weapons for TFP figures, the sidearm wielded by protoforms and Barricade in DOTM, null ray missiles and rocket boosters for Deluxe/Voyager Starscream, articulated hands for the Leader figures, etc.).

13. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT

News Credits:
    A customizer friend is making Inferno's wings out of styrene for me. He tried making the head-box but said it didn't look right on the classics figure.

I'd love to see:

- An armor/drone upgrade for Thunderwing
    - A Superion upgrade for Universe Silverbolt (four jet drone limbs, fists, feet, head, and chestplate)
    - Targetmaster partner for Energon Slugslinger
    - Various armor/weapon upgrades for ROTF Lockdown/HFTD Axor
    - New shortened missiles for Hailstorm/Mindset
    - A few of Wheeljack's devices
    - One or two Decepticon super-weapons
    - Real magnets for RTS Windcharger
    - Jetpacks and hoverboards for all Autobots who had them

14. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How about a third party kit that makes Meantime into a real working watch, and an extension for the band that makes it large enough for an ADULT to wear it?

15. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

I wish someone would make G1 heads, guns and mandibles for the FP not-Insecticons. There was talk of a set of heads coming out in Radicons... but basically it was just talk, because after 6 months they're still not out yet. If ever.

So after seeing the FP Insecticons sporting transplanted G1 heads on another thread over in Radicons, I attempted to do the same thing. Then I realized too late that there was no pic of Backfiery with Kickback's head in alt mode. This is because Backfiery cannot Transform with Kickback's head on. I salvaged this misguided kit bash by cutting off Kickback's face plate and gluing it on a sanded down Backfiery head.

Why FP decided to do an Insecticon and TMNT mash-up is disturbing.

16. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ^ I feel you. Spoonman in Radicons also had a custom bigger head and chest shield/wing for FP Bruticus in the works, but that project never fully materialized into even a limited mass-production run outside of the original custom he did for what I assumed was a single client. Shame since that add-on looked really great and would have probably sold like gangbusters (TJ alone would have bought like 5 or 6 sets, heh). If I ever get the time or inclination, I might just kitbash my own chest shield for Bruti.