I wish to register a complaint...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Moroni Prime, Dec 22, 2008.

1. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I have a MISB set that I'm selling after Christmas. I intend to get however much someone is wilingly to play for it. Given its popularity I'd be stupid not too. I've overpayed for WAY too many "hot" items in past...hell, I just a DC Universe Aquaman for $40 off ebay. So forgive me if I feel no remorse/ no pity for someone overpaying for rare item of mine that I decide to sell. Its the way the market works after all.

Price bitching threads suck...there I said it.

2. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I got mine for $7 so in some places they got just as low.

3. Gadep

Gadep Banned

News Credits:
    lots of folks on here scream "SCALPER" if you refuse to sell it for what it went retail...i think that is bunk/flawed...some TFs have lots more value than others...and you can only get what someone will pay...Good luck with your sale...i will probably put my Ultra Magnus up in my sales ad soon myself as i have no attachment to it....

4. Maximum Burn

Maximum Burn JETS AND HELI!! I LIKEY!

It's sounds like you are more upset that you sold yours for much less than the value it's at now. That's why I think you are complaining. No offense, but there's not much you can do. Just hope that the Christmas mood might bring off a few bucks.

5. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was short on cash when they first came out so I figured I buy them later. Didn't check Target to two weeks and next thing I know the clearanced them all out. Managed to acquire a MISB later on the boards for $25 a year ago. Managed to acquired a UM for $15 after the armor was announced. I've gotten two skywarps in lots i've bought off ebay and sold them for $15, find it hard to believe people are asking $45. It's all timing.

6. Astroscream

Astroscream News Cred > Street Cred

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    People who say " I understand economics, but....." clearly doesn't understand economics. If these two figures were as prevalent as you think they are, you wouldn't still be looking for one. Universe Nemesis Prime may be an exclusive but that doesn't make him scarce. The fact that he is selling for close to retail says something about his scarcity.

7. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

Oh, that wasn't the bottom. I picked up two of them for about $4.95 each.

8. salmonman78

salmonman78 That's MR. Magnus to you all...

Wife snagged mine at Target for $6. Wish I could have gotten more, would like to touch up Magnus' paint a bit(the missin apps from the package picture) but am too nervous to mess it up

9. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I'd like to stop the twit on E-bay hiking the price of selected Botcon toys but buying them all and putting them up with a huge mark up as Buy it nows - he doesn't want them he's just trying it on.

Flare-Up should be about $60.00 maybe up to $85.00 but scalpers have been buying them up then re-listing them as $200.00 or more. - that just annoys me.

I think Botcon Ratchet's price is idiotic as well $400.00 Bucks indeed.

10. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can believe this thread is 3 pages already. If you make a choice to buy popular and exclusive items on the secondary market you will pay more!!! If you cant accept that then don't collect. I don't have a beast wars metals Ravage because he is over a $100. He cost that much because there is not a supply currently available and the demand is high enough to keep the price up. Am I complaining about it? no

Remember when Concept BB was going for $30 now he's 7 bucks. Remember when Wiis were worth 2 to 3 times retail? Things are not worth what you are willing to pay their worth what ever the market decides

11. MushroomPrime

MushroomPrime ******

News Credits:
    I can sell my wii for 3 times the value?!

Awesome

12. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
  13. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  14. GenZhao

GenZhao Banned

News Credits:
    I didnt know, I will try to buy up all the magnus I see for cheap then thanks

lucky I already got one a while back in the OP Magnus 2 pack

15. xZAOx

xZAOx Yep.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I remember the eBay guy that bought up all the G1 Dreadwinds for years. EVERY auction, he was the buyer. EVERY. ONE. His name was like "2cool4u" or something. To this day, that's why Dreadwind is more than Darkwing. In the past year or so he's finally started coming down though.

None of us know what the bastard was doing with them though, because he sure wasn't selling them to the online fandom, and he wasn't putting them back on eBay. I can only assume he had a serious case of OCD for that toy =P

16. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    But by way of comparison, both are out of production toys who's supply is insufficient for the demand so the going price has gone up. Does not matter how old it is, just how many exist and how many people want them.

I know you say you understand economics, but I highly doubt it based on your rantings in this thread.

17. Tacitron

Tacitron An exceptional nut snack TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    You can do something about it.

Don't buy toys for prices you don't want to pay.

Of course there's the defeatist argument of "but someone else will buy it at that price anyway". Maybe, maybe not. It doesn't have to be you that overpays, and if no one else does either you get a good laugh watching an item get bumped on the forums for weeks while no one touches it.

So you did the right thing. You made a thread rather than paying a price you didn't want to pay. If more people did that, greedy sellers would have to eat their action figures.

18. Mixmaster

Mixmaster 4F 68 A0 54 69 74 73 21

News Credits:
    Oh, that guy. He put me off from buying Dreadwind and Darkwing for years. He also collects/collected trumpets, I think.

19. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

QFT

Very QFT

I agree with not paying a price you feel is unreasonable, but I question your assertion that making a song and dance in public about it is "the right thing."

20. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ