I wish to register a complaint...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Moroni Prime, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Moroni Prime

Moroni Prime #TFYLP Podcast

News Credits:
    THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!

wait, no, that's not what I'm upset about....

What I'm upset about is something that I think has gotten out of hand in my own personal opinion. That is the price of the Transformers Classics Target Exclusive Boxed Set 2 pack "The Battle for Autobot City" which contains the Voyager repaint of Classics Optimus Prime as Autobot City Commander Ultra Magnus, and the Deluxe repaint of Classics Starscream as Skywarp. Why am I so upset you ask? Well, it's simple really.

Ultra Magnus and Skywarp are a voyager ($20 figure), and a deluxe ($10) packed together for a MSRP of $19.99 +tax. Breaking it down that equals out to 66% of what those molds would cost normally, or $10 each. Now considering that this set was exclusive to Target stores, I can see how the price would go up just a little, like Devastator for Wal-mart, however lately I've seen some outrageous and unfair price hikes for these figures. I have been offered upwards of $45.00 for skywarp, loose, no instructions, no box, no ultra magnus. I have also been offered upwards of $65.00 for Ultra Magnus, loose, no instructions, no box, no skywarp. I have to say WTF?!?!?!

Now I know about the recently released "Commander Armor" sets for the voyager figure, but those are not necessary for the Ultra Magnus figure. It especially should not reflect the price of the Ultra Magnus figure IF YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE THE ARMOR TO GO WITH THE MAGNUS THAT YOU'RE SELLING! That would be like me selling a G1 Omega Supreme MIB without Arms and Legs, and charging $300.00 just because you can get arms and legs from an encore. I personally don't think that it's fair to hike the price on these figures because of the armor, unless you 1. HAVE the armor in your posession, and 2. Are selling the Armor WITH the ultra magnus figure. And 3. If you don't have the skywarp with the magnus, then the set is incomplete and should be reflected in the price.

Lastly, where skywarp is concerned. I understand how everyone is trying to get the seekers together as a set along with the games of deception set, and that he's exclusive to target, but by himself, he shouldn't cost all that much. It's been a little under 2 years now since this 2pack was released, and a little less than that since the Games of Deception pack. So all that in consideration, Skywarp really shouldn't fetch more than $15-$20 tops (without Magnus). Asking $45.00 is way out of line, heck for that I could get a decent conditioned vintage, or get the encore or TRU CSIV Reissues.

So in conclusion, I just want to say to all of you who charge way more than is necessary for Ultra Magnus, for Skywarp, or for any other Transformer, stop, please. Think about how much it should really cost, how much you paid for it, how much it is worth, how much it was sold for, and consider all of those into a fair price. And please, PLEASE don't charge rediculous prices for one figure without the other figure (unless as stated earlier with the armor, or with the other seekers). It is a 2pack afterall.

I would like to thank all of you who have taken the time to read through my great wall of text. Please, I do not mean to start a flamefest, so please keep discussion civil and productive. Otherwise, please share your 2 cents on this, or other similar pricing situations.

2. MushroomPrime

MushroomPrime ******

News Credits:
    I sorta agree, but as long as someone is willing to pay this amount, it'll continue.

Nothing you can really do but sit back and laugh.

3. Moroni Prime

News Credits:
    I can't bring myself to find anything funny or laughable about price gouging, however I am busting a gut, tickling my ribs, and ROFLMAO at your Sig. That is Priceless.

4. Gadep

Gadep Banned

News Credits:

i got a ultra magnus i will sell you for $99...free skywarp included....
    or i will sell you the skywarp for $99...and free ultra magnus....

your choice....

:) 

sorry had too....

I do agree those two seem to be going thru the roof....

I got the pack for skywarp...did not care about magnus...

probably will sell him someday....."for the right price"....

5. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    It's called "supply and demand". Simple economics. No need to complain about it, it won't help. When demand increases and supply decreases, the price goes up. Especially with a service like eBay to let demand set the price. It would be different if the people that had them just jacked the price to rip people off. As soon as people stop bidding so high on eBay, the price will come back down.

As for your request for people to sell at "what it's worth"... That is what's happening. Due to demand, his value has gone up. Same principal for the stock market and precious metals.

6. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    Why are you complaining about something that has no impact on you? You obviously aren't trying to buy them so why do you care? Prices on figures go up when they become scarce and harder to find. Nothing new about that.

7. Moroni Prime

News Credits:
    I'm obviously not trying to buy them? Huh? If I wasn't in the market for them, I wouldn't have made this thread.

Also, I do understand about the supply and demand, basic Econ. I just don't feel that Magnus and Skywarp have become scarce and hard to find yet. By way of comparison, here's a figure that was supposed to be scarce and hard to find, however he's warming shelves in Hasbro's warehouse. TRANSFORMERS UNIVERSE Voyager Class: NEMESIS PRIME - Product Detail

8. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I agree with what has been said here. People bid what they are willing to pay. It would be silly for a seller to take less.

9. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I can understand the complaint with loose figures. I bought the Autobot City two-pack for $90, MISB and all. Paying less for it would have been nice, but it would have meant dealing with ebay auctions. I just don't have the patience.

The price of the set rising because of the CC armor set does suck, but it's a set that came out two years after the initial toy. Demand came up for it. I can't blame a seller for looking to get double to triple what he would have gotten before the armor set was announced. It's fair economics.

But $50 for a loose, two-year old figure is a tad on the ridiculous side.

10. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...ion-does-not-go-here-read-before-posting.html

As to the topic, I'm not sure what you don't understand. There are a seemingly large number of people who want to pay almost whatever the cost to get Magus or Skywarp, or both and until those people have all got one and only the people who want them for a reasonable price are left, the "market" price for the figures will remain rather high.

Now, if the figures no longer fetched a high price, and especially if they hadn't for some time, then I could see a complaint when some seller is trying to get that much.

11. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Sucks on the pricing, but it is true. Prices would never have gone that high if there was not a ready supply of people paying the asking price.

However, I think there is an Optimus Magnus two pack which you could get for Magnus, then sell on the Optimus to raise funds for the Skywarp. Or just keep the Optimus.

12. Blitzwing256

Blitzwing256 Triple changer

What makes the thing so hilarious is the two pack was a huge shelfwarmer, I ended up buying 5-6 of them on clearance for under 10$ (really should sell a few of em)

its a nice set, but hardly worth 100$ with or without the silly add-on plastic bits.

13. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can understand the gripe (I bit the bullet and landed a Magnus/Skywarp twopack on eBay for $75 before shipping, and a loose Magnus off of here separately), but hey I wanted a second to go with the City Commander armor, and I preferred the Henkei Prime to Universe Classics Prime so I passed on that aforementioned Prime/Magnus twopack that is much more widely available.

At this point I think it's only a pain in the ass if 1. you're a completist of some sort or 2. you only want Skywarp and feel you're being pinched for something that has nothing to do with Skywarp. If you want Magnus (by himself, or for City Commander), you have the Prime/Magnus twopack that doesn't seem to be too bloated in terms of price (though I admit I haven't checked on it in awhile since it's not something I've wanted). In the end, if you really want it, pay the money and grumble all you want, you're the one who paid for it so oh well, be happy you have it. If you didn't buy it because of the price, it's not worth it to you and that's not a bad thing.

If there's anyone to bitch at, it's Hasbro/Takara and not individual sellers. Yes, Nemesis Prime is readily available on HTS and other sites, despite Shadow Commander forthcoming and heavily anticipated. To my knowledge, Magnus has never been sold individually, and Skywarp has only been released on his own as an exclusive of some sort. Skywarp has a Henkei Classic, but again as an exclusive (so, still expensive). Still no Henkei Classic Magnus. They're both repaints of the Prime and Starscream mold, so it shouldn't be too hard to stick them in new packaging. Hell, there's something called Acid Storm out now as a Seeker. Both are fairly recognizable G1 characters to fans, so you could justify repackaging them as individual items. Plus, considering the current demand (for Magnus at least, with City Commander), Hasbro/Takara could key into that, release Magnus or both and make a quick buck knowing people would much rather gobble up a $10-20 Magnus than a $50-70+ Magnus on eBay or something like that, and the same with Skywarp. Yet, nothing of the sort has happened.

14. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    Would someone sell me a MISB G1 Fortress Maximus for around retail? About $100 right? I'd even pay a little extra if it's sealed in one of them snazzy acrylic cases.

:confused2 

15. Moroni Prime

News Credits:
    I know you're just kidding MM, but by way of comparison, Fort Max was 21 years ago, where the 2-pack was at target and target.com only 18 months ago.

16. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    lol! :D  and yeah, i agree with ur point, but u cant really do anything about it.. when people really want something, they'll pay to get it.. and people who have wat the other people want will only try to get as much as they can, which is human i guess

17. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's why I wish they'd just reissue the hell out of everything that rockets up in value like that, so prices would stay low. But I understand that I'm in the minority of collectors, since I collect as a hobby and not an investment, so I accept that that's the way it's going to be.

Unless they reissue the hell out of everything. :wink: 

18. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

I feel you. So basically all we can do is 1. Pay the Current Price or 2. Go without the figure you want. I know a few people who get good prices on HTF items and pre release so basically thats what you have to do is ask questions and get to know people who know people to give you an edge in the TF Trade War.

19. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Do you? No offense but that's not the impression I'm getting from anything you've said.

20. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It really sucks, but you know, that's how the market for anything works. I mean, my rent in this area goes up by sometimes over $100 a month each year. And what happens if I say "that's too much" and I leave? Well, someone else will rent the place and pay that extra money- the apartment complex knows this, that's why they know they can hike the price up.

My point is, things go up when there is a demand just like other people have said already. That means sellers know that if you won't buy it, someone else will. And also, people bid on places like ebay and that shows that people are willing to pay those prices.

I feel your pain, because it does suck, but the Ultra Magnus/Skywarp two pack is the tiny tip of an Iceberg the size of the sun and all we have are plastic toy hammers to break the iceberg to bits.