I wanted to buy Yamato's 1/60 VF-0 series. Where to start?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Camshaft, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Camshaft

Camshaft Member

With the VF-0 now in toy form, I waited and see about it. All I find out is that some had QC issues.

All I know is that there are:

* VF-0S in Roy Focker colors.
    * VF-0A in cannon fodder colors.
    * Ghost booster to upgrade either of the two above.
    * VF-0A in Shin Kudo colors with the Ghost booster.

Which one to start? And what should I be careful with?

2. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    I'd get the VF-0A with the Ghost Booster. It's the latest version of the VF-0, so it should have the least amount of production errors.

3. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    I would agree. The VF-0S had a lot of join floppiness issues, and the original VF-0A had problems with brittle shoulder joints that would wear and potentially shatter.

The shoulder joint on the ghost booster version is supposed to be a different type of plastic to combat this problem.

4. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    From what I see, the VF 0A is essentially the same as Shin's, only without a white stripe?

I strongly recommend AGAINST getting VF 0S. QC is horrid, with like 3 good figures out of 10. Floppy mess, sometimes parts broken in the box...

VF 0A has much stronger joints, but the over-tightening led the shoulder plastic to just crack with little provocation.

Shin's version remedies the faults of both by featuring 0A's joints but with different plastic to cope with it.

My advice would be to get Shin's, and wait till October-December so that Roy's gets re-issued with those fixes. In the meantime, you can get one spare ghost booster for Roy.

5. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Don't go for the VF-0S Roy, it has more QC issues than a Russian nuclear plant.

I have the VF-0A Cannon fodder and it's good, although there have been reports of the arms snapping off, but you can fix that by taking a screw driver and loosening the screws in the arm joint (apparently they were put in too tightly and hence the snappage).

I also have the VF-0A Shin with ghost booster on pre-order, but CI is right, it's the latest version so it should have the fewest quality issues. So I'd probably go with this.

Now, just remember that when you're handling a Yamato valk to be careful. It's not like MP Prime where he can fall off your shelf and take a five foot plunge to the floor. Yamato valks are pretty good in terms of sturdiness, but you still have to be careful. If you handle them with care then you should have no problem. Treat it like your sister, not your girlfriend.

6. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Hopefully you don't drop your girlfriend on the floor a lot, though. Just saying.

7. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I did. That's probably why I don't have one anymore. Although she gave every indication that she liked it.

I am going to try to get one of every Yamato variable fighter model, so this is good info to me.

8. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Well, I'm late to the party, but I'll echo what others have said. Wait and pick up either Shin's 0A w/ Ghost Booster or for the 0S reissue.

I have the 0A, and t really is a very nice sturdy figure over all... however, I got one with the shattering shoulders feature. Superglue seems to have done a decent job of fixing it, but I think for now it's staying in GERWALK mode.

9. NotoriousBIC

NotoriousBIC Prime Suspect

Thanks for the info everyone. I too was looking into getting a VF-0.

Anybody have any similar recommendations for the YF-19?

10. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    There's been a few reported issues with overly tight transformation joints in the nose of the YF-19 that result in worrisome stress marks and even snapping. The FastPack/Ghost Booster YF-19 release might fix this, as well as a few other issues such as the inability for the gunpod to mount straight, but so far that hasn't been confirmed, I don't think? (been too busy to keep up to date on the goings on at Macrossworld)

11. NotoriousBIC

NotoriousBIC Prime Suspect

I do remember seeing some Fastpack + Ghost booster pics of the YF-19.

12. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

There's a joke in there about living in Alabama, I can just feel it.

I still have a pre-order hanging out there for the VF-0A w/ Fold Booster, and I think it's one of the few I'll actually be getting this year, so I hope it's got all the QC problems fixed.

13. Camshaft

Camshaft Member

Thanks for the replies. I decided to buy the VF-0A Shin variant with the Ghost booster, since the previous ones had problems.

As much as I liked the VF-0S, I'll wait until there are some news that it's held together in one piece. Hearing that one's VF-0S fell apart after opening the box is a sad event to hear about a toy.

14. NSJ23

NSJ23 Not today Chumly, not today.

My VF-0S has a loose arm but besides that it's fine. None of the problems most people have with it. That said, unless you must have it. Pass and get the VF-0A scince it has less problems.

15. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    My VF-0S is pretty minty except that one shoulder is showing the same kind of stress fracturing that the first run of VF-0A's did. It's just hairline, but it's worrisome all the same, so I've had it off for a few months while I procrastinate on buying epoxy.

16. Los

Los Now you see me...

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I would wait for the VF-0A w/ Ghost Bundle. The shoulder problems in the first run VF-0S/A are probably going to be fixed. The same things goes for any QC issues with the YF-19...those problems will be fixed in the YF-19 w/ Fold Booster Bundle. If you really want a VF-0S, I would wait for Yamato to do a 2nd run.