I wanted an animated grimlock so bad

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Roook, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Roook

Roook Well-Known Member

He was one of my favorite G1 toys and I haven't really seen one out since. And the flame sword was just too awesome.

After checking out my local Target I saw they hadn't gotten any new ones in. So grabbed Snarl and Prowl instead. But looked one more time. Bam! There was one there all of a sudden.

Of the Animated figures I've gotten so far (only Cybertron Megatron and Lockdown) he is the best. The sword is like a toy in itself. and I loved how his transformation was so similar to his G1 toy's transformation. I instantly remembered how the tail transformed and where the arm-sides went. The legs pushed in, the head went back, etc etc.

Great toy!

2. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

It's great how Animated is so much like G1 yet fresh enough to bring something new

3. MushroomPrime

MushroomPrime ******

News Credits:
    I got it as a surprise when I woke up.

It is a must have

4. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

If Grimlock and Snarl are any indication, then Swoop should be win wrapped in awesome, and this is coming from someone who *hated* the Dinobots.

Oh they drove me nuts, I couldn't stand to hear Grimlock talk, how stupid they were, how ridiculous a concept...but now that I've seen them in the show, and own the toys (which are just astronomically great (even with the gaping hole on Grimlock in beast mode)...my love for them has finally started.

I will say, I do like that Grimlock borrows a lot from his G1 counterpart in terms of transformation. It also goes to show you, as the years have passed, their design teams have gotten smarter. Instead of his chest being on a hinge, sliding it up and locking into place saves more trouble down the road.

It'a amazing...the simplest things are overlooked.

5. zeroXII

zeroXII metallicon

News Credits:
    Yeah, i have alot of love for this figure as well. There are times when i wish the light piping for his eyes were red instead of blue, but i really don't have much to complain about. Great figure overall.

6. Icetron

Icetron Well-Known Member

Same here, I've been waiting for a while now..:( 

7. optimus major

optimus major Banned

News Credits:
    i love my grimlock....yea i sacrificed the last starscream for one of the two gimlocks they had....BUT TOTALLY WORTH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! hell that was the ONLY time i have seen grimlock and starscream is becoming more availible now

8. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    i think grimlock ships 1 per case for some reason, both walmarts near me have only had 1 grimlock when i visited them.

9. omega knight

omega knight Chibi lancelot launch

News Credits:
    >.< skiped him for bumbleebee *dint have the money.*

10. Big Filipino

Big Filipino John 3:16-17 says it all

News Credits:
    Grimlock is by far my favorite of the Wave 1 line. I wish the other dinobots were also Voyager class. Is there any news on whether they're making all 5?

11. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Yep by far and away the best Animated toy thus far. Congrats on finding it!

12. Blitzwing256

Blitzwing256 Triple changer

grimlock is definatly 2 per case, 2 lugnuts and 2 grimlocks ship in the same asortment.

13. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

I think he's great but could've used some easy improvements, namely the gaping hole in his chest (that takes the figure down several notches for me) and the colouring (i.e. the claws).

14. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

They are not. Only 3.

15. UltraDevmodious

UltraDevmodious Well-Known Member

As of releases right now, Grimlock and Oil Slick are my absolute favorites. I really wasn’t into the Dinobots in G1 as I thought the toys were pretty lame. I’ve said it before in previous threads, this is Grimlock’s BEST incarnation yet. I will proudly display all 3 when I actually get my hands on Swoop leaving snarl my least favorite from animated, but I still like him more than G1!

16. IhsantheCursed

IhsantheCursed Banned

The following is my opinion only, and is not intended to offend anyone.

This toy makes my ass want to suck a lemon. I cant STAND Animated Grimlock. At all. Maybe its just me..but I HATE (I meant HATE) his "sword". Doesnt even look like a sword to me at all.

His Alt mode face is hideous looking. It succeeds in combining COMPLETE stupidity and garbage all rolled into one. Thing is...G1 Grimlock wasnt even that stupid. Nor did he look it. I could go on...but why?

17. Roook

Roook Well-Known Member

I'll agree with a couple criticisms about him.

The gaping hole in his chest is definitely a big drawback. However, considering that I don't like to keep my Transformers in alt mode very much because they don't look as cool, Grimlock is one where I think both of his modes look awesome enough that I keep wanting to transform him back and forth. Lockdown is the same way to me (I love his car mode).

Also his face in robot mode. This is more of a criticism to the show though. I don't really like that his face has the same jaw as his alt mode. I liked classic Grimlock's face, even though it was really boring. It made his alt mode almost seem like his primary mode because he was so much more expressive as a t-rex.

I love the sword. I don't really like that in most poses the screws are too visible (I might actually paint a transformer for the first time because of this, just a few drops on the screws or something) and there's nothing to really do with it in alt mode. But I think it's an awesome sword with its own cool gimmick and it was one of the main reasons I bought the figure.

I also love that the eyeglow thing works in both robot and t-rex mode. Oh and the jaw that snaps with a button is just gravy on the whole thing (though maybe making it more poseable would be better for people who like to pose figures).

For a line in which I'm really disappointed in the Bumblebee and Optimus figures (who are usually my favorites) I am loving these figures. I hope they release all of the dinobots eventually as I plan to collect them. I need a new toy shelf. :/

18. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I absolutely love him. I think he's the best animated toy so far. Now, his dino mode does have some issues, but it isn't terrible and I'd much prefer having a perfect robo mode then a perfect alt mode. That's basically why Classics Grimlock dissapointed me- great dino mode, but in 'bot form only his upper torso looks good.

Anyways, great toy, probably the best this year so far for me.

19. kllrwlf

kllrwlf Well-Known Member

Just got him today, first animated toy for me and I love it.

The gap doesn't bother me.

For my G1, I keep him in Dino mode because that's his primary mode and looks the best.
    For animated, the Dino mode doesn't look as menacing as his Robo mode. Don't mind the lockjaw on both modes. So, I'm going to keep animated in Robo mode.

20. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    ...........i ordered one 2 weeks ago on ebay...didnt come in yet...