I want to see what you all see - Why is Starscream so great?

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Puck Hockey, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

So a lot of people have been praising this Starscream, but I cannot see why. My favorite has to be the movie one, who had a pretty good showing if you ask me. Animated was not bad at all, but I felt his Allspark gimmick was a little overdone.

Darkness Rising I was all for this guy, he was mean, cruel, he seemed to know what he was doing, etc.
    Afterwards, it was interesting to see him struggle for leadership in the shadow of Megatron's rule, mirrored by Skyquake.
    But after that, he gets beaten by Wheeljack, he seems to scream more often as his plans and attitude gets more desperate, and he seems to falter.

By the time old Megs' is back, we know he's weak, an incompetent leader to his men, and quite frankly he hasn't shown much brains either, asides from building space bridges apparently. Plus, he talks a lot. A lot.

He shined again once he had that REALLY nasty cheap shot at Arcee, reminding us how sneaky he is, but then he reverts back into a character with no real positives besides how pathetic he is, making him a woobie of sorts.

I don't hate him, but I don't like him. I don't feel like he should be pitied because his punishments are his own doing. I am just curious as to why others like him. Is it how magnificently smug he is? His sleek design (that has not much to do with the character, but people like movie Sideswipe and Dino just because of that)? His constant struggle for survival?

Please share your thoughts with me.

2. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

It's more because G1-SS, Movie-SS and Animated-SS are a little "one-note villain" of sorts, their entire shtick is being short-sighted, arrogant assholes who can't quite catch up with Megatron, and they brag a lot. You can see that on every single scene, on every single line that involves their presence.

Pirme-SS shows a little more variety on his actions and personality, he remains an arrogant ass, but most of the time, he's focused on scheming and deceiving instead of bragging about himselff/talking about Megatron on his back 100% of his time like the others Starscreams, the others look like they literally have no purpose in life other than to be better than Megatron, Prime-SS hates Megatron, but is much more often focusing on himself than Megatron.

He's more subtle and subdued than most SS, that's amusing to watch for the more of a failure he is, other-SS like to state their thoughts out loud, this one is more reserved and more varied on his emotions [while the others range from envy of Megatron to amazing smugness].

His character also has been developed very well, "Partners" being a good example, he genuinely tried to be loyal, but then he was sickened by both sides and went rogue.

Also Steve Blum...

3. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

It's Starscream's nature to turn into a pathetic whiny little bitch eventually.

4. UTF

UTF Manifestation of /toy/

News Credits:
    Charismatic.

5. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    my only complaint about starscream is him going rogue. i'd rather him stay a part of the decepticons longer.. and maybe have an episode arc a little further down the road when he defects.. but then they'd have to push back the mech arc which i quite enjoy.

i absolutely loved it when arcee walked in on megatron and starscream when starscream was on his knees pleading for megatrons mercy. that was fantastic.

also.. i think starscream and megatron are wonderful together. and megatron in this show is awesome as well.

and lastly.. i really enjoy starscream and soundwaves interaction.

plus.. the scenes where starscream transforms and zips away in his jet mode kick ass.

6. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The part in Darkness Rising where he jumps down the shaft, transforms, and flies up is awesome.

7. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Cannot Hold Weapon

News Credits:
    Yeah, I love seeing him do that. It's a real shame that douchebag Silas took his t-cog. :( 

8. Puck Hockey

But... But Steve Blum is everywhere... Though for the character, he fits well and his role as Heatwave has a distinct difference in tone.
    Adler as Starscream was fantastic IMO. I've only heard Adler in Rocko, but every line of dialogue out of movie Screams' was music to me.

Balder
    I can definitely see what you mean. You can see more into his thought process, more of his emotions, and his own intentions rather than G1 SS's constant bragging about how he's better than Megatron. And ROTF felt like a missed opportunity for movie Screams in that department.
    But to me, his emotions range from scheming to bragging to crying out and whimpering and I honestly can't like any of that. He has more depth (I suppose) but I'd take an explosive, blatant, flat character who bursts with only a couple traits over a deep one with many things going on but I can't find interesting. And I enjoy watching the other ones more. This one needs a trump card, some extra flavor for me to actually be excited everytime he's on screen. At the moment, I can't find that.

I can't say I find Screams charismatic UTF. Knock Out however, he seems like a jolly fellow. Breakdown too.

9. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I can definitely see what you mean here as well.

10. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Cannot Hold Weapon

News Credits:
    This is a little off-topic, but lately I have been... I guess the word is superimposing... Starscream on characters in other forms of fiction.

I was reading Paradise Lost for my literature class, and I found myself imagining Starscream as the Satan character. I started reading his dialogue in Starscream's voice, and it fit so perfectly I just rolled with it. Then I was reading a novel, and I did the same thing with another character!

I guess I just have Starscream on the brain lately, but it's so much fun when I find myself slipping him into other fiction.

11. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

For most people, the thing that sells them on Starscream is his voice. Steve Blum makes every line sound amazing. But there are other reasons.

Most Starscreams are for comic effect. G1, ROTF, Animated, all those Starscreams are nothing more than this guy who tries to take over the Cons and fail. This Starscream, on the other hand, has had his time to shine. Megatron dethroned himself through his own arrogance and Starscream took the lead. He's in charge and plotting on how to stay that way instead of the guy who gets kicked around by Megatron who plans on how to get rid of his master. Only one other Starscream has ever been in charge for this long. Usually they fail in an episode or two.

Prime Starscream may have his pathetic episodes but a lot of those are balanced out by awesome. Lately things are looking down for him and I'm uncertain if things will get better but he still has awesome moments.

12. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Starscream is brilliantly voiced by Steve Blum. More than anything else, the voice acting brings out Starscream's nature. The animators help capture it to a lesser extent, but the voice is the meat of the meal.

Add to that, Starscream is ultimately a tragic character. He's just not going to catch a break. But I'm still going to root for him.

13. LordScreamer

LordScreamer Well-Known Member

Don't take it personally when I say that is some messed up "taste" you have there. Movie Starscream was the most disgraceful incarnation of the character. Nothing about him was consistant. There was simply no justice to this character (yes I know,Starscream has never been known for justice but every character at leasts strives for that in their perspective).
    To avoid providing a wall of text against Bay's terrible movies, I won't bring it here. If I must, I will though.
    Transformers Prime Starscream is the PERFECT Starscream. Here's why:
    -like someone said....charismatic
    -like you said, sleek design
    -He's a douchebag and we all enjoy assholes and their lifestory on television. Starscream has always been like that. The thing that is so great about being such a jerk is that the character is expressive through unusual demands of action.
    -He is full of himself yet he has nothing. It's hilarious, really.
    -From time to time, he can be a complete badass though. Even G1 Screamer had his moments.
    -Steve Blum. Nuff said.
    -"I'm no stranger to ambition"- I don't think people realize this but that quote right there says EVERYTHING about the character. It should be his catchphrase or something......
    ^piggybacking on that, Starscream is indeed ambitious. With that trait, he has always been fascinating. He gets his ass kicked and then he keeps comin back! He may be a coward. He may be pitiful. But he is also persistant and full of the only thing he can mantain......pride.

I don't know what is with all this shit about "Breakdown is the only real character with developement in this show", but it couldn't be anymore clear that Starscream is the one with the most character development in the show.
    He is our anti-hero after all. Where Megs is our big baddie, Starscream is our baddie.
    "Character Development" doesn't just focus on the overall story of the character but it also focuses on who they are.

14. Moonlight1102

Moonlight1102 Banned

You mean the one who got killed by Sam the Yo-Yo?

15. Puck Hockey

Ratchets Hatch
    Yeah, reading books I characterize characters with other things I can easily associate them with. Patrick Stewart comes up often for me...

Soundwaverulls
    I didn't quite see him as capable when he WAS in command and I think that was the point they wanted to make with Soundwave and Skyquake. And when he's with Megatron, well, he gets his fair share getting kicked around too. The difference is that this one is sly, kissing up and plotting behind the back, but I prefer the direct confrontational G1 Screams, a negative for the movie one.

Lord Screamer
    Adler has the best voice for me. His maniacal laugh, how he spits his words out, his mocking tone, it's a shame he never gets to talk.
    I'm not sure about consistency, we don't get much characterization in the first film and I thought he was consistent the second and third films. If you bring in a wall of text full of rage for the movies, I'd welcome it, but we should try to keep it Starscream related.

-I can't say I find him charismatic, but others do so it's there.
    -This one is more reserved and is the butt of many jokes. G1 Starscream I always found hilarious because of the downright outrageous things he'll do. That's fun. In general, unless they're really funny, I am not fond of tragic asshole characters.
    -I could see the egotistical point.
    -Please remind me of SS's badass moments asides from taking out 3 vehicons in Orion Pax.
    -I think I've had a Blum overdose that I can't appreciate him anymore. He's everywhere now, along with Nolan North.
    -He definitely is tenacious, though I wouldn't say prideful. But I don't know if that's something he has over other Screams asides from the movie one (Armada maybe?)

I'm one of those people who feel like character development is not necessary in the slightest and should only be done if it's done extremely well. I'll take the flat G1 guys over many Prime characters. But Breakdown and Knock Out are kind of fun, development or no. Bulkhead's saving grace is his one-liners. That said, Starscream's development is alright, it feels natural but he's not really learning either. But it's better than... dare I say it... Arcee and Bumblebee's.

Moonlight1102
    lols
    yeah, I liked it whenever he came on screen, but not trying to do anything traitorous and getting killed by Sam are his only negatives for me, and those are BIG negatives. But I really like his voice and how he was the heavy hitter in the first two films and I think those outweigh his more unfortunate moments. Plus, tearing apart aircrafts and blowing up the Xantium was pretty awesome to me.

Well, I think I have an idea now. Thanks for the discussion. I suppose it's just a matter of my taste that's stopping me from liking this guy.

16. DepthWave

DepthWave Decepticon Storm Trooper.

News Credits:
  17. Flashdisk

Flashdisk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hopefully his bad experiences changes him for the better. I'm hoping the becomes an autobot. If there's anyone that can make him better, its the tutelage of Optimus Prime, IMO.

18. ngnikolaos

ngnikolaos Well-Known Member

I love this Starscream because he has the signs of a Magnificent Bastard. He's not there, but he has the signs. I'm hoping the writers will eventually make him one, although in the last episodes he's moving further and further away.

I'm not very hopeful, but I haven't yet lost all hope that I will see what I want to see in this Starscream.

19. Ironhide4

Ironhide4 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Blum is epic as Starscream(dare say my fave voice actor in the role, yes latta was amazing but this guy is fantastically sinister). I don't watch much anime so Blum was relatively new to me so no overdoing for me, there's way more other vas that are overdone(cough KMR cough).

Starscream takes the best of SS's past and concocts them into this vicious character, G1 ambition, animated look, the indeceisive and rogueness of Armada. The sides of his helmet also have the side head block fans of G1 screamer too.

I hope this SS goes back to the cold blooded serious threat that was the first couple of eps of TFP. I just don't want to see another whimp when the setting stones for a really credible villain were laid early on.

20. Snarl_2289

Snarl_2289 Well-Known Member

I hate Starscream so much that i love him :D