2D Artwork: I want to design toys... Hopefully not wasting my time

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by TedimusPrime, May 8, 2011.

1. Geminii

Geminii Toyetic multiformophile

Nice work. And I'd second putting it up on Shapeways. If Hasbro isn't immediately interested, there are still a lot of us here who'd be happy to buy a couple of these.

Plus, of course, it adds to the portfolio and demonstrates conclusively that your designs work in 3D plastic as well as on paper.

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    TP, definitely keep us posted on your experiences; we wish you all of the very best!

[​IMG]

I'd also add to make sure your portfolio is varied. It's cool that you like Transformers, for example, but having a good working knowledge and aptitude for ALL of Hasbro's ventures (or at least showcasing that you do) will work wonders :wink: 

3. TedimusPrime

TedimusPrime Full Time Toy Designer

Also I think Hasbro looks for experience in 3-D modeling. It's something I must check out
    I will and thank you. That last bit of advice was perhaps the most useful I've read so far. (luckily there are few things from hasbro I don't like... Might as well draw some ponies)

4. phoenixliger

phoenixliger Ogre

Great design Tedimus! I would love to see you design in 3d. You definately need to creat a portfolio for your work. make a list of different characters vehicles playsets and ect for you to work on in the future also give your self a deadline for each one you create make sure that you use your own ideas or ideas that arent common. (your design here is a great example) pick up some super sculpey or other oven dry clay, some styrene, and tools and try building some of your designs. theres tons of tutorias here on the boards to help you too OH and real quick use styrene or 3d modeling(printing) for mechanical and clay for organic designs.

5. SpeedFreak01

SpeedFreak01 Well-Known Member

Don't worry dude; Tedimus is FAR too competent to make a plastic abomination like....*shudder*...Armada Sideswipe.

On to the chainsaw; that is a brilliant design! You are definitely not wasting your time, my friend! I'm intrigued about this Co-Op you mentioned- do you think it is available in Britain?

6. TedimusPrime

Maybe. Do some research and see what schools might have it. It is not something exclusive to UC (though it did start there).

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Honestly, this is one of the BEST things you can do, because you'll be doing . . . work. Work will always demand that you end up doing at least SOMETHING you don't like. You might as well get some practice :) 

8. TedimusPrime

I agree... and so I have practiced.

UPDATED 5/11-
    I've always wanted to do a sniper rifle targetmaster... I thought one would be so cool. Unfortunately the shape makes it really difficult... but I love a challenge. Anyway, here you go. I like it, maybe not as much as the first one, but I like it.

And for people following this, I think I may do something bigger next time... who knows. This was just warm up.

9. rattraprules98

rattraprules98 AKA Chr0nus

News Credits:
    You'ce inspired me to design TF's. I also know what college I want to go to...

10. TGping

TGping Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I encourage you to keep a sketchbook separate from any toy/mecha designs and to fill it with still-lifes, backgrounds, lifedrawings. Things like plants and park benches.

It'll really help expand what you can draw influence from. It was the best advice I ever recieved from a portfolio review with a comic editor.

You'd have a serious edge against anyone who only draws in a certain 'style'

Other than that, the key to being a toy designer is to design toys :)  So keep on drawing.

11. Geminii

Geminii Toyetic multiformophile

Yup. Drawing giant robots is all very well, but if they have to be drawn where they're interacting with Earth landscapes, structures, and people, it's not good enough to have only one of those things drawn well, even if the giant robots are the focus.

12. TedimusPrime

I appreciate it the advice... I think you've inspired me.

13. TedimusPrime

Updated 6/28

Drew this at DAAP camp for funzies.

Twas great time, mostly because of the friends I made but also due to
    -I met a man who worked as a toy modeler for Hasbro for many years
    -I met a man who was likely the head of toy design at Kenner for a while (presented some of the very first Star Wars toy designs to Lucas at his house in person.
    -I met a STUDENT who did the color pallets for classics ratchet, smokescreen, as well as others.

14. starshooter8

starshooter8 AutoCon

i love them they look G1'ish but look like they would work with armada cybertron and energon too very nice i don't think your wasting you time at all

15. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
  16. TedimusPrime

17. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    I wish you the best luck. It's one of the things I would have liked to do, but never got the courage to, and now I'm too old to start learning everything.

You'll have to get training on some 3D building tools and study some industrial engineering I guess. And remember, even if Hasbro won't take you, you'll learn a lot of useful things and there's always 3rd party or other toy industries! Just don't give up.

18. Wazdakka

Wazdakka Decepticon

Hasbro needs you! Way to go!

19. caitlindevi

caitlindevi Sculpticon

News Credits:
    And Hasbro isn't the only company out there, they're just one of many, you might even find yourself setting up independantly. even just concentrating on action figure design is limitiing yourself. Having many strings to you bow is only going to help your case.

Most of the 'big boys' as far as toy companies are moving to 3d software to produce the toys so getting those skills under your belt should definatly be a priority for you.

Maya is the big one, but it also pays to learn things like z brush and some form of CAD software. percevierence and practice practice practice

20. TedimusPrime

They teach those kind of things at DAAP, but I'd like to get some experience now. Do you know of any site that is good for teaching the basics?