2D Artwork: I want to design toys... Hopefully not wasting my time

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by TedimusPrime, May 8, 2011.

1. TedimusPrime

TedimusPrime Well-Known Member

UPDATED 6/28

UPDATED 6/28

Quick camera bot I did at DAAP camp. A little larger, but still very simple. Sorry about the quality of the scan, but I wanted to keep it in my sketchbook.

[​IMG]

Hi, I think it's time for you all to become more acquainted with me. I'm 17 and a junior in high school. I take AP and accelerated classes, run cross country, and draw... but that's not really important. Because I'm a junior I have to start thinking of colleges. Right now, I'm looking at the University of Cincinnati's DAPP program of industrial design.

One of the reasons I love transformers so much is the engineering. I bought Scouge entirely to study his lovely tricks. I wan't to go to DAPP at UC for one major reason: they offer a Co-Op program with hasbro.

What is Co-Op? Well it's when Hasbro looks at your portfolio, accepts you, teaches you tricks of the trade... and pays you to work for them. It is my dream... and I've toured DAPP twice and think I'll be going there. If I go to DAPP and Co-Op with Hasbro, I would most likely land a job with them by the time I graduate

UPDATED 6/28

Quick camera bot I did at DAAP camp. A little larger, but still very simple. Sorry about the quality of the scan, but I wanted to keep it in my sketchbook.

Attached Files:

2. BombSquad

BombSquad Lies! It's all lies!

News Credits:
    amazing design! hope you get accepted

3. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    This is an amazing piece man.

I honestly don't think that you are wasting your time, it's a great goal to have and I'm hoping that it works out for you.

4. Destron23

Destron23 Vehicon

Awesome design! Hope you make it to Hasbro someday. That targetmaster would go perfectly with ROTF Lockdown or a possibgle generations Lokdown.

5. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    That's great man!

I'm going to DAAP this fall for the exact same thing! I will also be doing co-op. (hopefully with Hasbro :D ) Once I saw that Hasbro was a major advocate of their co-op program, it was a sealed deal for me.

You should definitely hit me up once you get there next year. Once thing I like about DAAP is that they have their own floors for dorms, so all DAAP students can be on the same floor. The campus is great. I can already predict that it will be an amazing experience.

Nice to know another Transfan will be going to the same school as me! Especially one from TFW2005. :lol 

6. mrfang2

mrfang2 leader of team rejects

News Credits:
    this inspires me to post an oldie i did, this is pretty great actualy

7. Optimus-wave

Optimus-wave A.K.A. Omega-Wave

Wow, although the quality is a bit lacking, i can tell a lot from these designs and i think you are far from wasting time! Plus you could always go the shapeways way lol.

8. Sablebot

Sablebot Autobot Media Scientist

Great work!!!!!!

WOW!!!!! That is good! I don't think you're wasting your time. Funny thing is I was watching Season 3 recently of my G1 DVD set and your Targetmaster reminds me of one of the ones I saw on that episode. I would definitely be in line to purchase that if it was ever made as a toy as I collect TFs, too.

Also, small, small world - I live near the old Forest Fair Mail outside of Cincinnati. Good luck on your aspirations. I also aspire to hopefully have some of my ideas made into toys and also to maybe do some voice-over work for a future TF franchise.

9. TedimusPrime

Me too. I fit nicely in GPA wise, but colleges are weird sometimes.

Woot! I will have to hit you up sometime. How was it Getting in? Do you know for sure right now?
    Yea sorry. It was such a crappy scan. I sketched it in pencil this afternoon, but my scanner never picks up all of the lines and I hate using pen. I might color this just so parts are more recognizable.

Montgomery myself, and thanks.

And thanks to everyone else! You've been really supportive and helpful! It's moments like this where the best of our franchise shows through.

10. caitlindevi

caitlindevi Sculpticon

News Credits:
    Its a great design, I can see a possible flaw in the leg transformation(Flaw unless the upper legs are designed to sit at an angle in chainsaw mode), but it could be an easy fixed with a recess in the heels (I can see what you're going for but it just sits slightly out).

But theres something you need to remember even if you end up getting a job with Hasbro, theres no guarentee you'll ever get to work on transformers stuff.

Might sound harsh but its always a possibility, you could end up only ever working on My little pony or something like that.

I've done sculpting work for hasbro in the past and the best thing I ever got to work on was Action Man ATOM figures...and even the Star Wars stuff I did was a kinda lame project.

You could only work on board games and never even se the TF design dept.

If Toy design is somthing you really want to get into make sure you're looking at toys in a wider scope than just TFs.

Hasbro has a huge catalogue of products and Brands and you could be put to work on any of them.

All of that said if you could put together a concept and actual toy that blows them away you never know you may just end up exactly where you want to be.

Its a great indusrty to work for but just keep in mind you don't always get to work on stuff you want to or like...and there are other companies

11. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    as a freelancer let me give you some tips.

Do you have a cover letter?
    Whats your portfolio like?
    Do you have a rate sheet? (your average fee's)
    Do you have any past work?

might sound like I'm being harsh but company's will ask for this info and Hasbro is no different. With Hasbro they will ask about style to try and put you in touch with the right teams but that does not mean you will get work often you will find your up against pro's from the comic world who also have ideas so competition is tight.

12. ARCTrooperAlpha

ARCTrooperAlpha Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    yum ! Imagine Lockdown having two chainsaw weapons !

13. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

Dude those are some great ideas and some great ambitions, I wish you the best of luck with those endevours, but just in case it doesn't work, there are always opportunities for people on Shapeways.

14. Soundwave_FSD

Soundwave_FSD Yoda in a track suit...

Simply superb!!!! I hope you get in, and it sounds like you're a shoe-in. It's never a waste of time if it's what you wanna do.

15. VaderPrime1

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Well, I don't know specifics on where I ranked on the applicants that got accepted, but I do know that only 60 people get into that major each year.

I've already registered for housing and the next thing I have to do is go to orientation in the summer and register for classes.

16. TedimusPrime

Already have taken into consideration. That being said, a company is going to hire you based on what you have experience in. Admittedly it is a lot of "if"s, but I do believe that when you co-op with Hasbro (as someone who had a roommate co-oping for them explained to me) they ask you where your areas of interests are. So leaving college I would have a few years of actual hand on experience working in action figure design (unless I find something else I love more while there). Any action figure design would be nice no matter what company it was for or what line it was under, but naturally I'm focusing on Transformers because that is what I'm interested in.

AUGH!!!! Blitz, you just blew my mind. I don't know what those are! Could you give me a quick rundown? I'm still a junior in high school and much more concerned with my Physics test tomorrow then those kind of things... (I'm so ignorant)
    Thanks

I'm gonna start using it over the summer. Nothing beats knocking their socks off like a finished product.

Thanks! I think this will evolve into a thread where I start posting more designs as I practice more.
    Ahh, ok. I'm actually going up there this summer for their DAPP camp. But it's so cool to meet someone with the same ambitions.

17. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    Amazing stuff man. This takes skill, even at this scale, and people don't recognize that too often. Keep up this kind of work, and don't give us another Armada Sideswipe, and you'll go far.

18. VaderPrime1

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I think he might be jumping the gun a bit. :D  You won't need to worry about that stuff until your Sophomore year. And even then, the school teaches you how to put together a portfolio using projects that you've done in class, and also make sure to keep anything you're doing now to add. Freelance is different than co-op. It's basically an internship.

19. Wars

Wars Regular At Swerve's™

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    Dude that is freakin' awesome! I want to see some more! Hope you get the co-op. That would be a dream come true for many of us here, including myself.

20. Hybrid Prime

Hybrid Prime Banned

This one has potential lads,A chainsaw TM now all we need is an emp shotgun and a transforming ash figure!!!