I want to buy a Smart Phone

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Sportimus, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hi everyone,

I'm looking to get a Smart Phone, but don't know which one to get? Should I go with an Android phone or Windows Mobile (like the Nokia Lumia 900)? It seems like every month there's a new phone out that's better than the one before. It's hard to keep up. Any suggestions, personal experiences, etc. would be most helpful. Thanks in adnvance.

2. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

3. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    If you don't want one that is always top up a week later go iPhone. There only one per year unlike androids new one every week. If you don't like apple then go droid. Not many use windows phone.

4. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Galaxy S3.

You'd be a fool to buy into Apple, if only because you can't leave afterwards (that's not an anti-Apple comment, even die-hard Apple fans admit Apple's stuff is designed to lock you in and not let you leave). The iPhone 5 is also set to come out soon, so buying a 4S now is just plain stupid; you're getting old tech ad Apple never drops the price on anything even right before a new model comes out.

Also, you'd be better off running Android because not only does it have better functionality (it's literally like Windows is to Mac, is the less nice-looking one, but the one that's more user-customisable and ultimately the one that has more features), but because if you know Android, you can easily learn iOS later. I've seen people who use iOS who then tell me "Android is so confusing". No, it's not. It's just that you're used to being spoonfed everything with iOS, and now you get more options on Android which you've barely even looked at before complaining. Ultimately iOS may look easier, but it's so dumbed down as an operating system, you can't use the others easily, while if your know Android, you can easily pick up and use an iDevice or a Windows Phone later if you want.

Next, who the hell uses a Windows Phone? Seriously. I'm not known to liking Apple, but even I'd tell you to buy an iPhone before buying a Windows Phone. Unless you seriously love Windows 8 and it's interface, don't buy a Windows Phone.

Lastly, Android, like I said before, requires you to know how to operate basic PC stuff (if you can navigate Windows XP with any degree of proficiency, you're got the prerequisites for Android right there) to grasp it, and yes, you have to expect to learn it over time. That's not because it's hard, that's because there just so much stuffed into one OS that no one can learn it in a day. It is better in the long run, though, because the last thing you want to do is become yet another person who's complacent and is stuck with iOS. Think of it this way, when you get a driving license, you want one that lets you drive manual and automatic vehicles. Sure, it's harder to learn manual cars, but after you've done that, you have the option later. That's what Android is.

Ill put this here anyways: Android does not work in nice numbers, unfortunately. For a phone, look for Android 2.3, affectionately known as Gingerbread. Don't use Android 2.2 or below. For a tablet pc, such an an Eee Pad, those run either Android 3.2 (Honeycomb) or Android 4 (Ice Cream Sandwich). Some phones manage to run Android 4 as well (like the Galaxy S3). All you need to know is that 2.3 is the best for phones, while 4 is best for tablets, and just because 4 is a bigger number doesn't mean it's vastly superior to 2.3; its not a huge difference. Consider 2.3 --> 4 as something like Windows XP to Windows 7, a bit better but not by much.

*no, seriously this isn't anti-Apple, but unfortunately after I've used my android tech and my iPod Touch and iPad, that's my conclusion: Android first, switch later.

5. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

what do you want to do with your phone???

something that has:
    - microSD card slot (some Android...none for Apple)
    - ability to just drag drop music/video files and be able to watch it on your phone (Android...Apple uses itunes and it has to be specific formats)
    - removable battery (some Android...none for Apple)
    - bigger/smaller screen (most Android is bigger than Apples)
    - bigger internal memory space (i think Apple goes to 64gb while a Android might go to 32gb)
    - something that connects to external products ie. speaker system (Apple has more connectivity...most products have a Apple connector to it)
    - 4G network (Android has it...none for Apple)
    - Apps (most Apps start off either Apple first then both or start up already on both)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  6. Sportimus

News Credits:
    Thanks Treadshot. Yeah, the iPhone is not on my personal list. I looked at it, but it isn't my cup of tea. I know that the Android phones have caught on very well here in the US. I like it. But I also like to look at my options and seek educated opinions from others (such as your excellent response). It seems Windows is trying to make a comeback of sorts and the Nokia Lumia has been doing very well. In addition, there is going to be a much better version of Windows mobile later this summer that is expected to be much improved. It seems Windows has a better chance at succeeding than Blackberry or Palm at this point. This is why I was looking at it. But yeah, despite Android's own set of issues, it seems to be the dominant one of the bunch right now I guess.

I've been looking at the RAZR and RAZR Maxx, and some of the LG phones so far.

7. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    I'd go with Motorola phones. Google makes the android os and google now owns most of Motorola.
    Nokia makes sturdy phones but so far that the only thing it got. Windows is to new to phones and Microsoft is not the best at thing that are not pc related. Examples Zune and Xbox 360 first model.

8. AnithaPrime

AnithaPrime TURDUKEN

I have an HTC Rezound and I love it, just got it Tuesday actually. This phone is more for a music lover and someone who wants to personalize their phone. In the end you should get a phone that fits your tastes. If I were you I'd go for a phone that already has ICS, like the Nexus. I'll be waiting for the ICS update on this phone, as it's supposed to be pretty kick ass c:

9. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If you're buying Android, and want the best possible phone at the moment, buy the Galaxy S3.

Want to save $100 and have a very slight decrease in stats? Buy a Galaxy Nexus(also, 0 bloatware).

Stay away from any Windows phone.

10. Treadshot A1

To be fair, though, the Nexus does run Vanilla Android. Still, Android 4, even without a skin, is still a great OS.

S3 has TouchWiz, and that is actually a very smooth skin. Especially with Android 4 behind it.

Yes, there are people that love HTC Sense as their skin, but frankly Sense vs TouchWiz is a pointless fanboy/girl argument which is about as useful as the FIBRIR/FIRRIB issue.

I will say, though, that while you day save money with the Nexus, don't, mainly because the S3 really is that good. I replaced my HTC Desire Z and my iPod Touch with just the S3, because it did everything those two could do, faster. Of course, if money is an issue, then the S3 is a respectable phone to say the least.

11. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    The only thing wrong with Windows Phone is the lack of app support and its sync software is a bag of shit. The handsets themselves are excellent, the interface is easy to navigate and contacts syncing works well if you setup a dedicated windows live account.

Apple...well, they're good phones with amazing app and peripheral support but they all look the same and lack individuality, plus they're a walled garden if ever there was one.

Android. Like Treadshot said, put the effort in to learn it, and its the most versatile Mobile OS available, and the most upto date handsets are some of the best on the market. Best brands are HTC, and Samsung I'd say.

12. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Bonus for droid is good game emulators.
    Apple has none.
    Windows phone has emulators but I'm sure it not as good as the droid ones.

13. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    I've got several Android devices and love them all. I've got a Motorola Xoom running Ice Cream Sandwhich and I've got a Samsung Galaxy Gio on Gingerbread (2.3.4) and a Galaxy S2 on 4.0.3.

If you don't want to fork out the premium for the S3, get an S2 with all of the latest updates. Most phone companies offer the S2 for free on a contracted term and it's bar none one of the very best smart phones out there.

14. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Most important thing is, when getting a new smartphone right now, that it has Android 4.0 or will at least get an update on Android 4.0 in the near future.

15. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

I got a droid razr maxx and if you need battery life it is damn impressive, honestly the only thing I don't like is that it has a huge screen. But otherwise its a very solid phone

16. Sportimus

News Credits:
    I'm thinking of the RAZR Maxx as one of my choices.

17. Starscream600

Starscream600 Certified Virtual Pilot

Always go with Android. Samsung Galaxy S III. Why? Because it's designed for humans. :lol 

Jokes aside, take the S III. I tried it and it's the best android phone by far. (Yes it's already been released here.)

18. Treadshot A1

Unless you depend heavily on Voice Control, in which case buy an iPhone because Siri kicks S Voice's ass any day of the week. No kidding, I gave up on S Voice, it's a piece of crap. The S3 should be enjoyed for its screen real estate and it's lovely feel in your hand, so start using the screen instead of relying on Voice Control.

That said, if you use Siri, you have no sense of what "helpful" really means. I can call someone on speed dial faster than Sori or S Voice can call them. No, seriously. They are really slow. Apple's ads for Siri have at the end in small print "Sequences shortened". Yeah, they had to manipulate the footage to avoid showing you how slow Siri is. It may be faster than S Voice, but a snail outruns both of them.

Conclusion: Get an S3, because it is better than an iPhone in every way except Siri, and no one likes Siri anyway. :tongue: 

[/I dont know if this is trolling apple or serious advice, but you should get an S3 either way]

19. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    It's not trolling, it's a biased opinion on Apple products.

A biased opinion that I also share :D 

So yeah, go get an S3.

20. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

I think the best advice I've heard in this thread is what works for YOU, we can all recommend things all day, but you need to consider what you want. Before I bought my phone I did some research and read reviews from several sites, then when I got to the store and pretty much said what I wanted and got told of the phone I have which is what I was leaning towards.

I dunno what company you get your phone through but if your using verizon there is 30 dollar fee now involved with upgrading your phone, but the guy who sold me my phone somehow got me a shell and some screen protectors for free. I dunno if I paid for the upgrade or not but what I paid I price compared and it of rounded out the same at a store if I bought both of them. So when you get your phone do poke around you might find some free stuff to go with it.

Also if your on the road a lot or don't like looking like your talking into a taco I'd suggest a bluetooth headset as well.