I want Skullfire (X-Men 2099) to come back

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Kickback, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Seriously under-used character, killed off in his own damn comic book for no reason, never heard from again.

BRING.
    BACK.
    SKULLFIRE.

2. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

Who?

3. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Google + SKULLFIRE = answers.

4. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

X-men 2099 kicked ass. That was a damned good book. I'm only missing issues 5-6 of it.

I even have Skullfire's toy from the shortlived action figure line. Him, Junkpile and Bloodhawk (I think that was his name, damned memory).

5. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

What I always found funny about X-Men 2099, the cover to issue #1 was never what the team looked like. Metalhead turned into a brutish monster in issue 7 or so. Skullfire didn't get his "Skullface" until the 20s when LaLunatica joined. Bloodhawk was all over the place. Xian went bad somewhere in there.

Personally I like Meanstreak the best. I just wish the line didn't merge into that horrid 2099 World of Tomorrow. The whole universe just got left in the dust with tons of cliffhangers. Who was Doom for real or that kid that was the fake Doom? Were the FF the real FF? If so, what happened to Ben Grimm on the moon? Who was DD 2099?

6. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

i want the entire 2099 series to come back (Spider-Man & X-Men especially)

i got all the issues and i gotta go read it all again...ah the good memories.

7. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I remember waiting anxiously for X-Men 2099 to come out thinking it would have all the same characters from the regular book but... in the future... was I ever wrong. :( 

But yeah Skullfire vs. Deadpool would be pretty cool.

8. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

Only read the first 3 issues of that series, but I really liked that character.

9. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    The book was actually very dark and surreal.

Skullfire was an outcast brought in by a mutant "leader" named Xi`an. His power was he had a hand that could destroy anything it touched by decomposing it on a molecular level. He befriended Tina (snake girl with Mr.Fantastic powers) and Metalhead, a rocker who could turn in to whatever material he touched. The place was attacked by anti-Mutant peeps, and they fled, but Xi`an was nearly killed by Junkyard, his not-so-happy-bodyguard, failing to do anything about the assassins that crawled all over the place.

Anyways, Tina ends up dying which causes Skullfire to go nuts and unleash his powers. And then the team somehow splits up. Xi`an recovers and gains the ability to heal with his other hand. So he can destroy with one, heal with the other.

They meet La Lunatica, or whatever, and she has the power to really fuck people up, more or less. She does it to Metalhead which causes him to lose his charming Fabio looks and the ability to control his power, so he's stuck as adamantium I believe, and decides to leave the team. That's like issue 7. Bloodhawk joins, but leaves. Meanstreak gets thrown in to an alternate dimension. Junkyard is a pain in Skullfire's side.

Eventually Tina comes back, but is a zombie, and Skullfire is like "OMG" ... and La Lunatica does something to Skullfire which causes him to lose his "I'm cool, I'm shy, I'm timid" personality and become "You know what? FUCK YOU" personality. He then paints his face like the 1st cover had him.

He meets back up with Junkyard and proceeds to beat the shit out of him (finally!). Junkyard ends up joining the X-Men. Xi`an decides to leave. Meanstreak comes back. Then X-Men 2099 becomes "2099: World of Tomorrow" and they kill off Skullfire (he becomes pure energy). La Lunatica becomes the "main" character of the X-Men portion of the book.

Now, I did some research yesterday, and I guess Marvel's original plan was to have Doctor Doom attempt to leave the future to go back to the past, but fuck up, and end up in 2101, which would launch three new titles:

Spider-Man 2011
    X-Men 2011
    2011 Unlimited

That, of course, never happened. Marvel axed the idea and the world of 2099 has been gone and has never come back. I think they tried to do a one-shot in the last couple of years, but I'm sure it sucked.

The book that had the most potential was X-Nation. It was a group of new mutants who just kind of come together and are the "future" of tomorrow. However, three of the people on the cover never showed up in the 3 issues that made print, and 1 we never even knew their name OR power (just so happened to be my favorite one, looked like a young Magneto).

But Skullfire should be brought back. I would make him one of the Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Then have a huge storyline that revolves around him and the future he came from (kind of like a new Days of Future Past). Then bring back just a few of the characters (Junkyard, Meanstreak, Krystaline) and have them, with Skullfire, become a new book of characters who are trying to cope with living in a past they only knew as legend, that's not even the same as the past they were taught (due to things that have changed).

Throw in a new Spider-Man twist by bringing back Spider-Man from that timeline too.

10. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

Haven't the Exiles visited the 2099 Universe? If so, there's always a possibility of characters being brought into the main 616 continuity, even if it is unlikely.

11. gil

gil Godmaster

The Exiles are in the 2099 world in the current storyline. That guy that they're chasing has a body snatcher power and he's in 2099 Hulk's body right now. SpiderMan 2099 is supposed to become a part of the Exiles.

The last time I read a 2099 story before the Exiles was a Captain Marvel story that had SpiderMan 2099 and the Maestro. I can't believe they canceled that book.

As far as Apocolypse getting Skullfire for a Horseman, I nominate Hulk 2099 as War. Regular Universe Hulk was already War, and that was okay (He stopped the Juggernaut)

12. Frequency

Frequency Formerly Berserker Prime

That was a mini-series called Marvel Knights 2099. From what I heard the Daredevil and Fantastic Four issues were good but the rest was pretty much dog-crap.

I never read much of the 2099 universe, I only have 1 issue of Spiderman 2099 and 1 issue of X-men 2099. From what I've read/seen, it had some promise but right now it looks like all Marvel has in store for it is the cameo appearances being done in Exiles, and having Miguel join the team after this arc.

But then again, during the Exiles issues that took place in the New Universe, it was announced that a couple new mini-series about that would be released. At least one of the main ones is being written by current Exiles writer Tony Bedard. So maybe this whole Exiles "World Tour" thing is a thinly veiled attempt by Marvel to try and make people give a crap about these universes again. If that's the case though, it's going to fail because Bedard is helming it, and Bedard is a terrible, terrible writer who ruined one of my favorite comic books. But that's a whole other rant.

13. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

"That guy" is Kevin McTaggart, aka Proteus. (Moira McTaggart's son, whom Colossus killed right before the Dark Phoenix Saga in the 616)

14. Wreckgar

There was a one-shot after the end of World of Tomorrow. I can't remember what it was called but I think it was supposed to be the difinitive end of 2099.

As for the marvel knights 2099 books, they sucked. All of them. There was Punisher, Black Panther, Inhumans, Daredevil, and Mutant X. This was to symbolize the anniversary of the Marvel Knights lead in titles.

I really wish I had my 2099 books here. I think I had most of them. However the best part of all of 2099 was that Stan the man Lee wrote the initial run of Ravage 2099.

15. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

i actually would rather have a 2099 line (future) than the Ultimate line (repeating the past)...

16. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

Blasphemy! I myself only buy Ultimate comics I tried to get into 616 via HOM main and the Spider-Man mini along with Breakout, I find no one wants to play catch up.

17. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

I think the only 2099 book I ever had was the first issue of Ravage 2099. Remeber thinking it was pretty sweet. But never got a chance to read any of the others.

18. CripNite

X-nation had 6 issues... it was good while Humberto Ramos did the artwork (I remember being so wild about his artwork when it came out--I even started getting DV8 with his artwork, too, but looking back at it, it's really not that great).

There was a special after World of Tomorrow, I can't remember what it's called, I have it in my collection though... it tied up some loose ends (but far from all), I remember Miguel O'Hara (Spider-man 2099, after hanging up the webs) and Reed Richards working on restoring the Earth's water levels after the Phalanx attack during World of Tomorrow.

And I'm assuming you're meaning 2101 for all those titles, not 2011. I remember that as well and was disappointed with the way they went instead, but I do respect it. They were building the 2099 universe in continuity and in some respects, it put a lot of things in present continuity in check.

For instance, the invasion of the Phalanx during the end of 2099 was regarded as their second invasion. After the first in the present Marvel Universe. So due to that, that prevented the present writers from ever using them again without creating some kind of ricockulous explanation for it.

Also, Kicky, you said you did some research... is there a site on this series with a little more explanation for "What happened?!?" kind've akin to the "Life of Reilly" one on the Spider-man clone saga? I'd like to learn a little more if I could.

19. Wreckgar

Okay, the one shot was called manifest Destiny where Spidey 2099 and a suspended animation Cap put together a new group of Avengers.

There was also at one time a Spiderman 2211 I think.

And my favorite current timeline fix to make 2099 realistic was the Stark Fujikawa merger.

20. CripNite

Yup, Manifest Destiny, that's it.

Don't know anything about Spider-man 2211 though.