I want Brian Singer as the next TF director!

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Dmhead, May 29, 2014.

1. sawwheeler

sawwheeler Gundam Meister

Well then I don't want him directing anything

2. Scorpio

Scorpio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bryan Singer would be a terrible choice, part of the decision to retcon the film series stemmed from how much the original trilogy sucked - and it wasn't just because of X-Men 3. Regardless, I know many will hold him up as the new director just because he directed one good film in recent years.

X-Men DOFP regardless of its quality was intended just as a way of ret-coning the mistakes of the other films, including two of the films also directed by Bryan Singer. Put bluntly - he was covering his own ass by erasing his own mistakes and the mistakes that stem from his choices.

The whole movie is essentially an insult to the fans of the original trilogy or the spin-off films as essentially they paid, watched and supported those films for nothing as none of those films actually happened - NONE OF THEM.

The film may be amazing - but that is not due to the director ONLY. The character development for instance comes from the script/screenplay by;

• Jane Goldman
    • Simon Kinberg
    • Matthew Vaughn

Nobody can attribute the success of DOFP to the director only and just because a director did well in one film (Ignoring many prior films that were badly received) shouldn't really mean they should be held on a pedestal as someone to be chosen for a director for another film that doesn't fit the same genre.

3. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I find this especially troubling. Mathew Vaughn directed first class (the best of the bunch IMO), has writing credit on this one and was supposed to have returned as director. The official version is that he moved on, but there is a real possibility Singer may have actually pushed him out.

EDIT: NEVER MIND, I just saw that he did jump ship, and the why makes a lot of sense. He's got another movie coming out this year and apparently it had to be done at the same time as DOFP. He chose the one coming out instead.

This was one of the best films of the series and one of the best of Singers movies. But Singer makes more bad movies than good. He's made just enough good ones that you always need to wait and see if he's succeeded, but he gets it wrong a lot.

But then Bay gets it wrong even more often. (But Bay certainly has gotten a good handle on how to actually do transformers in physical environments and the action scenes are usually pretty great).

4. Spaceman1251

Spaceman1251 Legendary Warrior

Instagram:
    Yeah, I hope he continues too.
    But if they do get a new director, I'd like to see what Matt Reeves could do with Transformers. Or maybe the Russo dudes who did The Winter Soldier, cause that movie was super badass, with characters we already knew and loved.

5. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

Matthew Vaughn and Jane Goldman are like a well oiled machine as a director/writer combo. I love their work. I wish like hell I could've seen a true First Class sequel with the two of them at the helm.

This topic always comes up when someone makes a hit sci-fi movie. Nolan was thrown around after the Batman trilogy, Whedon after The Avengers....

Bryan Singer is a decent director, but I definitely feel like he's overrated overall.

6. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Don't forget the story it's "based" on.

7. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I'd kinda be interested to see a Transformers movie written and directed by Edgar Wright. It might be the only live-action TF movie where I'd probably enjoy the human scenes.

8. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

This forum needs an "All-encompassing I just saw an awesome geek movie this week so I want that director to take over for Bay" thread.

9. nametaken

nametaken Well-Known Member

DOFP was great, if i heard he was doing a TF movie i'd be super excited.

10. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler

News Credits:
    Actually, they DID happen in an alternate timeline. They had to have happened otherwise Wolverine would never have been sent back through time to begin with in order for DOFP to occur. Thus the bad future (original trilogy, spinoffs) would still unfold. Now, granted, the future X-men and sentinels did "vanish" at the end, but I interpreted that as a way for the audience to visualize that Wolverine had been successful in creating a new timeline. Now, some may disagree with that assessment and that's fine.

Regardless, the original trilogy (bad future) had to happen in order for DOFP and any changes therein to take place.

11. thien425

thien425 Well-Known Member

You clearly need to watch his movies again. Even if you just watch District 9 you will see why he is a great fit.

12. nametaken

nametaken Well-Known Member

to add, this happens in comic books ALL THE TIME. there are so many alternate universes and reboots its not even funny.

bit late for anyone to complain about it now.

13. Scorpio

Scorpio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree, would have much preferred some straight-up First Class sequels that delved into the other potential villains and backstory for the characters. First Class was also also a superior film to DOFP in my opinion.

Donald Pierce would have been a perfect villain (In a First Class sequel) being a member of the already established Hellfire club who could have risen to power in the absence of Sebastian Shaw. Donald Pierce's inclusion could have also forced Magneto and Xavier to work together... but alas, we're stuck with another film where Magneto and the brotherhood are effectively the main villains still.

I suppose that's a matter of perspective - while I do agree with you, I know many who haven't read the original story who will probably enjoy the movie. Though I do get that many will be annoyed at the changes - personally I'm 'ok' with the film varying from the comic though I'm disappointed about a lot being cut and I still value the comic as better than the movie (Wolverine being the focus yet again was disappointing)

True - my mistake on that front. They do exist in a form of alternate timeline - however given they've re-written a lot about the characters so the characters in the future don't accurately represent their events in the past its difficult for me to view the future versions as an accurate representation.

In terms of the revised timeline however it includes First Class, DOFP and Apocalypse at the time of writing - so the other films are effectively unnecessary to watch. The other films also have contradictions the 'bad future' scenario you mentioned. To some extent you don't even need to have seen First Class to be able to go into DOFP as most the events are explained in the film.

14. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    No, I doubt he could make it work.

Bryan Singer’s thing is humans and their relationships. THE USUAL SUSPECTS, APT PUPIL, JACK THE GIANT KILLER and the X-MEN films are testament to his skill in this aspect (and perhaps his inability to do CGI characters well). All those films portray the impact of certain events upon people and the society in which they live in:
    - THE USUAL SUSPECTS centers on a group of people brought together to carry out a crime (except all is not what it appears to be, as whoever’s seen the film knows)
    - APT PUPIL is about a former Nazi who becomes mentor to a teenager, and the horror that ensues
    - and the X-MEN series places focus on mutants and their role/actions in society (supremacists, bigots, cures, Sentinels) – in this respect you have to admire what Singer did, after all these films would not have been so popular unless he could capture its socio-political/philosophical aspects right.

But as JACK showed us, he can’t do CGI characters very well. He makes them more an impact upon the humans rather than their own characters. The giants were easily defeated by a magic crown the hero wielded – I mean, what kind of plot device is that?

And the Sentinels in DOFP were no better either. I was hoping for Nimrod or Mastermold, evil sentient robots and X-Men antagonists, to appear or at least get a homage. It’s clear that like most filmmakers Singer thinks of robots as machines incapable of feeling or thought. Even the Bayformers had some personality to show, though most of the Decepticons were reduced to nameless snarling ETs.

So, I don’t think he would be right for TRANSFORMERS. He’d probably give more focus to the humans than what Bay has done. Let him stay with X-Men, he’s had better luck there.

Yeah, me too to be honest.

15. BeePrime_WFCTX_106023

BeePrime_WFCTX_106023 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't want that predator touching Transformers. I cant care less about how well he can direct and execute a story when he's violationg young boys.

16. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

I remember at one time I thought it'd be interesting to see Brad Bird direct a TF film. This was after he directed Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol.
    It pretty much showd that he can do both live action films, and animation. And a TF movie is basically both those things when you think about it.

I don't think TF, as a movie franchise, has any hope anymore though. I think at this point it's on the same level as movie franchises like Resident Evil. They're a joke, but they make money, so they keep hashing them out.

Is that really a thing?

17. sawwheeler

Yet pretty much everyone on this forum is excited for the new movie?

Edit: I do respect your opinion though, I just find it an odd one.

18. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

That speaks less of them then it does highly of the movie.

19. sawwheeler

Fair enough I suppose, I've always been a fan of Transformers regardless of it's form, I will also admit that Bay's movies aren't perfect but they are entertaining at the very list. I also wish that they would focus more on the Transformers rather than the humans.

20. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

The biggest problem with that is Hollywood is never going to do a live action film in where the human actors take a back seat to CGI characters, no matter how much entitled fan boys want it.
    Even in a film like Avatar, the split between live actors and the CG characters were pretty equal. And even then, that movie probably only got made because it was James Cameron's personal project.