I thought this day would never come

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Hook, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    Lately, I've found myself at crossroads; even if I sold over some duplicates and recolors, my collection was still growing to the point where storage space, or lack thereof, was becoming a rather big issue.

Compared to many Toyark patrons, my collection isn't that big (more or less 750). Most of my stuff is in storage in a friend's unused room. That's all fine and dandy, but the fact remains that it's a temporary solution to a growing problem. Case in point, every collector I know that has 1000+ TFs systematically dispose of the packaging. I entertained the thought of that for a few weeks.

Yesterday, I took action. Every North American Transformer I have got their bubbles cut and disposed of. Boxes were either flattened down or cut up just to keep the back. Japanese and reissue boxes remain intact for now.

It's funny how I vowed to remain a MIB collector, but at the end of the day, it's the toys I enjoy, not the cardboard and the plastic covering them. I either had the choice to call it quits and keep my stuff boxed/carded until I moved in a bigger place (which won't happen for another year or two) or save space by flattening down boxes.

In an odd way, I feel liberated by this contingency measure of sorts. I'll probably be able to get the rest of my stuff at my friend's place and do the same to those boxes and hopefully have every piece of my collection at home.

Anyone else in the same boat as I?

2. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah, I know how you feel. I had to stop collecting MISB a few years ago simply because of the space issues. So I'm only really doing loose now, chucking pretty much all the packaging. Although, I find myself hanging onto a lot of Japanese boxes. there's something about the bookstyle reissues that prevents me from cucking them. But yeah, space somes at a primium these days.

3. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

If it's not a square box that you can easily put the figure back in (Takara reissues), then it's not really worth keeping. I need to do what you did.

4. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    As an MISB collector, I have massive space issues. I have toys stacked to the ceiling on 3 walls of 1 room ... also in the closet of the same room.

I'm playing the most expensive game of physical tetris known to man.

I do care about the toys, but I also like the visual appeal of keeping things clean ... and well, easy to clean. I keep a small shelf of loose alternators out, and it's SUCH a pain to keep dust free. I can't imagine doing that with more than one line.

5. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    Which is why I want to get some IKEA glass display units. They look good and you don't need to dust the figures inside.

6. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've had to do that too. I had originally started keeping boxes when I started buying Energon, and they just took up too much space. I tossed the innards and flattened them, but now I don't even see the point to that. I'm down to keeping the back of the box and the teach specs/bio for boxed figures, and the card backing for smaller figures. I do keep a few boxes though, mostly for the Japanese figures- reissues, limited editions, ehobbies, etc.

7. dlatkow

dlatkow Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I wish that was true.. I have 5 of the ikea cases and where as they keep most of the dust out it still gets in there.

8. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've kind of gotten that way. I have alot of stuff that just keeps coming in to my apt. A while ago I used to buy 2 of things, one to open and one to keep sealed. I stopped that a while ago but I still keep alot of things sealed, space in my apt is being eaten up slowly by boxed figures I started opening some more items.

I do keep most Japanese stuff sealed...I dig the packaging.

But I am slowly gravitating becoming an opener, before I was part opener, part MIB and part MISB. now its mostly opener and part MISB.

Damned packaging!

9. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Ya I had to do this a wile back as well, it was a shame I had to do it too, I had a complete sealed RiD and BM collection, but alas the packaging just had to go. The experience was however also very liberating as well, not only did I free up a TON of space I actually got to play around with a lot of toys I had for so long but never actually played with :lol 

Before the "great purge" I always had a considerable urge to keep a lot of my stuff sealed and went so far as to buy doubles of a lot of stuff that I wanted to open. Now not only have I given up my completest ways and buy only what I want, starting with Armada I pretty much toss all packaging with the exception of keeping card backings and instructions and so forth. So not only has it become ligher on the wallet it's freed up a lot of space.

I do still keep all my Japanese stuff with all the packaging but this is due to not only is the packaging so much better, but I can still re-use it to put toys back in boxes for storage purposes too. The only part of my collection that I plan to still keep sealed are my North American Beast Wars toys.

10. Rattrap

Rattrap Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Im probally going to get rid of most of my boxes too, even though I dont have as much of an issue as you, as I only have 150 TFs in my collection. I will be keeping my Japanese boxes, and BW boxes though, and if I had any, Id keep the G1 boxes of course.

11. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

thank goodness I was never a MISB/MIB collector. I am starting to run out of room though, I have roughy around 550 transformers. and Im seriously losing room.

12. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Actually, I had an even more profound revelation recently:

I don't need all my TFs right now.

Because I'm trying to afford a wedding and a house, and I'm essentially sitting on a large bulk of cash which could be used to cushion both/either, I've decided to sell virtually everything, with the exception of the Dinobots and the '84-'85 guys I remember from the TV show. The rest of them are...I dunno, not as fundamentally connected to my youth.

Also, you guys will be here forever. Maybe not each individual in particular; moreso, the fandom in general. If there comes a day when I decide to recollect the stuff I want, I know where to find it - here or other message boards or Ebay. There are enough people that take care of this stuff that the hunt for my collection - the 2nd time around - will be just as fun, if not more.

13. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    see how smart i was to start collecting AFTER getting hitch :p 

14. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    *phew* For a minute there I thought you were selling your entire collection.

15. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

I came upon a similar realization waaaay back in the days of Beast Wars, when my collection didn't even number 20 yet. Never kept the bubble to any packaging until Cybertron, and most boxes that weren't sturdy enough to hold extra TFs for storage (Universe Ruination was perfect for that) got tossed. I'll probably toss even the Cybertron bubbles eventually, but at least I only have a few of those to worry about.

16. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I detemined which lines I felt most strongly about retaining the packaging for (Japanese G1, Binaltech, Takara Bookstyle Reissues) and flattened or trashed everything else. Still have to rent an enormous storage unit to keep it all, though.

17. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    it's because you're the freaking man. :bowdown: 

18. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    *blush*
    What I enjoy about looking at collections is that everyone's has something special about it. I don't care how big or small, I could sit in that collection forum for days looking at people's setups.

19. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Luckily my collection isn't at that point, but it's approaching it... I retain the boxes I can in my closet and tend to take better care with the japanese boxes, on the top shelf as opposed to on the floor. Cards get their bubble cut off and stored away, that much is no problem. But as it is I need a new bookshelf for upcoming figures and only have room for one more, space is about to become a serious issue for me, as well. I'll probably chuck the domestic boxes soon, it was nice in Armada and Energon where there's nice artwork on all sides of the box, but Cybertron boxes dont display well at all and all I'm doing is storing them away. And new Alt boxes are a wasted cause at this point.

20. Prowl2000

Prowl2000 Keep it sealed TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I saw the same issue come for me. What I did was redefine my collection so that I only for G-1, reissues, or figures that are really really cool from the new lines. I don't see the point in keeping the Armada line MISB. Will they go up in value, I suppose so but the space is just too great. In fact most of the figures from the newer lines I had I've either gotten rid of them or have made arrangements for them to be sold or given to someone that would rather have them.