I thought only a Bumblebee animatronic figure was built?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Tr4nce, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Tr4nce

Tr4nce TrancEaddict

News Credits:
    Ok, so first of all, I'm new here to these forums. I have already introduced myself in the newbie thread.

Anyway, I was reading an interview with Tyrese, and he stated that on the set there were 5 real Transformers, so that means that besides Bumblebee, there's 4 more animatronic figures of the Transformers Tyrese stated that there was also an OP animatronic. I thought only Bumblebee was also built into an animatronic??

If this is true, then I think this will benefit the movie. The more CGI is mixed with real graphics, the better. Right?

Read the interview here.

http://www.craveonline.com/filmtv/articles/04647368/more_than_meets_the_eye.html

2. Optimus Prime Super Mode

Optimus Prime Super Mode Autobots

No a series of them was made, this helps the CGI designers to grasp a very indepth knowlage of how these transformers work and what they are made of. It also helps place the CGI part into the movie. They would only make the animatronic robots which are either in the movie the most or the robots which the actors interact with to remove the problem of frame by frame painting.

3. Bigd

Bigd Autobot

First off welcome to the site. Im kinda new myself. I think it wouldnt hurt it. Because of the real Transformers, the sould be able to creat better shots becuz they have a real life model to go by. They could also use this to there benifet when a close shot is needed. enjoy the site.:Gouki: 

4. Majin Tenshi

Majin Tenshi Member

I don't believe any of them are animatronic. To clarify what that means, animatronics are remote or wire controled robots. Bumblebee is an overgrown model to my knowledge. He doesn't move and certainly doesn't transform.

We've seen all the ones he mentioned. The big bumblebee. The megatron legs encased in "ice." The blue Optimus head.

With as drasticly as Prime's design has changed since the first renders, building a full scale model just to throw it out and start on another one would be a huge waste of money.

5. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    yes, this is true. when weta did the effects for lord of the rings, they were a small company with a relatively small budget. if you examine the individual bits of cgi, they really aren't too hot.. but they got away with it by constantly shifting the way the effects were done, cgi one shot, models the next shot, fancy camera angles the next.. etc.

a good example is the hobbits, who in one shot would be shot from a funny angle, the next be cgi-composited, and the next be played by children. if only one technique had been used, it would have been easier to spot the fake.

6. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

They had animatronics? I was led to believe they were only using CGIs. Maybe the animatronic Transformers were for, well, as stand-ins for the CGIs during the filming? I know, I must sound stupid for saying that, but that's what I think what the animatronics thing was all about.

7. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    no.. there have been lots of photos floating about. optimus prime's head was a styrofoam stand-in, however bumblebee was totally accurate and detailed

8. Emerald Twilight

Emerald Twilight Banned

They are scaled models created specifically for background placement and scale-depiction when the modelers need to render the scenes.

Meaning put BB behind Sam in the shot. Sam goes to his knee or something in this shot, so the CGI guys render over it or simply enhance the model on screen and it becomes accurate to reality.

9. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

Someone ask the house cook to bake two cookies for Emerald, please.

10. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    that is what prime was. hence why he was made out of blue styrofoam.

however, no kind of a buffoon would make a completey accurate detailed real-life bumblebee just to render over the top of it. you'll be seeing that real-life model in the movie. (and not walking around sorry, although his face did look like it could have some animatronics in it)

11. Cory Bauer

It's more like...you shoot a couple frames of the shot with the model in there so the animators have something to reference, and then you pull it out and shoot the actual scene. Besides, the Bumblebee prop they built was by no means detailed enough for any shots that would have him in focus:

[​IMG]

There's a whole other level of detail there in the CGI model, and that's not even a photo-realistic render. The propr was just like a big toy for scale and lighting reference.

12. Tr4nce

Tr4nce TrancEaddict

News Credits:
    God, I love Bumblebee more and more. He looks so slick!

13. Tman978

Tman978 Really CHILL!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    If I were rich, I'd buy that prop so fast.

14. OmegaVPrime

OmegaVPrime Uhm, yea? So what?

Ebay:
    Actually their budget is pretty well nurished.

15. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    ok fair enough, I hadn't thought about lighting reference, just positioning.. obviously it would ahve to be accurate materials and colours to be used for a decent lighting reference

16. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    ...I jus noticed he's SMILING in the right pic.:confused2 

17. turk128

turk128 Well-Known Member

Animatronics can be as simple as an articulate hand or eyes with blinking lids, the production crew probably did make things like this for closeup shots with human actors. EXAMPLE: the behind-the-scenes clip of Barricade pinning Spike against the hood of a car, that was an animatronic they were using (primitive but still...).

Even if the model changes, it's easier for them to go back and tweak it with CGI as opposed to having to do it with a full animatronic.

18. Cory Bauer

I thought they were just hitting the car with a crane? It certainly wasn't anything intended to look like Barricade.

19. AutobotSDG

AutobotSDG Well-Known Member

Yeah... I can't recall what machine was used, but it had a huge pair of prongs on the front that hit the car on either side of Shia. Nothing even close to an animatronic of Barricade.

20. turk128

turk128 Well-Known Member

Yup, it was just a primative representation of Barricade, a reference point to help out the actor and show real-life action-reaction (the car shifting and all).