I think we can edit out ROTF

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by ifightfortheuse, Jun 30, 2011.

1. ifightfortheuse

ifightfortheuse Well-Known Member

I left the movie feeling I enjoyed the movie. But as I started to think about the overall plot for the 3 movies. I don't see plot flow. So I think you could edit out ROTF's plot and it would be fine.

As details were being explained from the start of the DOTM, I kept thinking that this movie should have been the second. Then as the movie kept going, I almost felt like that is what they were trying to do. With a small bit of editing you could easily write ROTF out of the trilogy.

Beginning of the movie could easily fit in after the first one. Enough people saw the Autobots and Decepticons have it out in Mission City. Hell, Prime almost fell on a few humans. They wouldn't have forgotten that. So humans probably know the the Autobots exist, just like in DOTM. Simmons isn't thrown out of the government as he was in ROTF.

Sam is still given a medal and still went to an Ivy League school and is out of college. Mikeala is just gone. No need to go into that further. The humans and Autobots have formed a big alliance that would have taken 4-5 years to complete. "The second wave of Autobots" could be the ones in the DOTM. Hell, the only one to reappear from ROTF is Sideswipe and Wheelie. Prime could have always had the Matrix of Leadership.

I just think you could make small edits to both the first and third movies and they would fit better and have a more flowing plot than all three movies combined. Just edit how Megatron was damaged and the Cube was lost and they fit.

2. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    Lol I had the same idea, there really isn't anything that you need to see the 2nd movie to explain.

3. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Kimber/Stormer Fanboy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    How would you explain Megatron coming back to life in ROTF, or half of his face being gone?

4. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    Damage at the bottom of the sea.

5. Nightmare966

Nightmare966 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, don't take out ROTF. Damn, I wish the Writer's strike had happenned at some other time...

6. ifightfortheuse

Damage at the botton of the sea is a good idea. It would just need some minor editing.

7. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

As long as Sideswipe remains, I would not be totally opposed, But I don't like the idea of just forgetting Jetfire.

8. ifightfortheuse

This idea would also bring Megatron's character back from being the main villian. As it stands right now, the Fallen was the main architect behind everything in these movies, except the human slaves. According to ROTF, Megatron is only a subordinate in every movie. He isn't the strong, ruthless leader of other Megatrons.

9. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    People are constantly complaining when things get retconned in TF, yet here you want to retcon something just because you didn't like it. What ifs are nice but no way do I want to see ROTF gone.

10. erjaho0614

erjaho0614 Autbot/Maximal

I really liked both of those guys from ROTF, even if it took a couple watchings to finally like Jetfire's personality. ROTF, if written and edited slightly better, could easily have been a worthy sequel to TF1.

11. Santoanderson

Santoanderson Well-Known Member

There were very few plot-references to ROTF in DOTM (which I appreciated). I think Simmons had some photos on his desk of him in front of the Pyramids, and Sam used the "I went to Egypt and saved the world" line to a couple of people. Beyond that, ROTF felt pretty forgotten in the grand scheme in DOTM.

12. ifightfortheuse

I am just stating that it seems like that is exactly what they were trying to do in this movie and could easily do with a little bit of editing.

13. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    So Megatron goes from the bottom of the sea after having been killed in the first film...to being a truck-bot in Africa and no one is shocked to find out he is alive later on.

Right...

14. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't edit the entire thing out, just the parts about The Fallen, the stupid sun harvester, and anything to do with Samrobotheaven or Mikaela. Such horrible fucking characters and overall bad ideas.

15. niners2kx

niners2kx Member

matrix of leadership, wheelie, the references to Egypt, Sideswipe, etc etc etc would need some explaining..

16. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Kimber/Stormer Fanboy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Need a little more detail. The damage would not match anything a deep sea creature could do in that short a time.

17. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    Or not at all!

18. Gepard

Gepard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not just forgotten, it seems like the premise of DOTM implicitly refutes several elements of ROTF. Remember how Jetfire and The Fallen could space-bridge on their own any time they wanted and it wasn't a surprise? Now suddenly teleportation technology is a big deal and only Sentinel knows how it's done, to the point that the Decpeticons concoct an elaborate plan to get their hands on the space bridge pillars he invented so they can do it, too. And they have to trick the Autobots into retrieving him, because the Decepticons don't have the Matrix or any way, apparently, to get into space. This despite the bad guys getting their hands on the Matrix in the last movie and flying into space any time they felt like it – this is the first movie where a ship is explicitly needed to fly off a planet, so it seems like they're overlooking Starcream and Megatron's abilities from the last two films.

And the notion that meeting up with Sentinel and conquering the Earth was the plan all along contradicts the "plot" (if one may call it that) of ROTF, because the Decpeticons could have put it into action at any point in the previous movie; the only holdup would have been getting the Matrix, which they eventually did. With Sentinel and the Ark on the moon, blowing up the solar system for some energon doesn't make any sense.

So it looks like ROTF "happened" in some sense – something occurred in Egypt when Sam and Simmons were present, and somehow Megatron got brought back to life only to have half his face blown off and go into hiding – but the details are being ignored or outright contradicted. Which is fine by me, really, given how bad ROTF was.

19. Cyberwolf1980

Cyberwolf1980 Deceptus Templar C-Dub TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Nore would it match if it were depth pressure. That looked like a face that had been blown off by something explosive.