I Think We All Need A Reality Check...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by AnimatedFan, Jul 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

And admit that we're a rather sizable group of ingrates.

Hear me out for a moment.

In the '80/90s, we had the world on a platter, really.

We had our cartoons, we had our movies, we had our toys. And they were all great. We loved them so intensely, we just had to have as many as we could get our hands on.

Batman
    G.I. Joe
    He-Man And The Masters Of The Universe
    Star Trek
    Star Wars
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    Transformers

That's a pretty big deal. There was something for everyone and we truly had fun enjoying it all. As we grew our tastes changed, but the inner kid at heart always had that "Oooh. I miss my toys. I hope they make a movie out of these someday!" thought running constantly through it's mind.

I was shopping at Wal-Mart early this morning, went to the toy aisle and stumbled upon the G.I. Joe display full of figures, vehicles, and role play. I looked it over and found myself being thoroughly impressed by all of it. (Not buyworthy since I don't collect G.I. Joe, but impressive.)

And with the ROTF display on the other side of the aisle, it's like a gateway to Awesomeland.

It was then that I finally got it. We finally have received what we asked for, and we're still not thankful. Not in the least. As individuals, some of us are, but as a group, damn. Just...damn.

To the left of me was ROTF, TMNT, Batman. To the right of me, Star Trek, G.I. Joe.

And all of them have movies, comics, etc.

The Dark Knight was nothing short of amazing and has the second biggest take of all time, and yet people complain about it being boring, "It was only a hit because of Heath Ledger dying! The movie sucked otherwise!" etc. Really? Wow.

Star Trek wasn't perfect, but it was damn close, and it was enjoyable from beginning to end, and repeat viewings make it even better. Yet there's always going to be a few in the crowd that bitch about how this or that looks, or the wrong actor, etc. Kinda expected with Trek fans, but still...

G.I. Joe is coming and it's not quite like the cartoon series (especially Cobra Commander) and I'll admit, some of it looks downright silly. Here's the thing...that's what makes it FUN. It's meant to be escapist popcorn fun for the afternoon. It's not meant to be a character study of why Cobra Commander wears a mask and loves snakes and sounds like an alien robot named Starscream. No one's even had the chance to watch the movie yet and they're already doggin' it. What if it's a great movie and you have a good time?

And finally...

The Bayverse movies aren't perfect, but they are fun, and it's neat to see our heroes on the big screen for the first time. Some things could've been changed for the better, but overall they helped put TF back on the map. All we can do is nitpick and bicker. We've received some really great figures (especially Leader Class Prime. If you can't even give HasTak credit for that guy, then you really are just being unreasonable. Just for the sake of doing so.) and the movies are massive hits with the audiences. People who never gave a damn about TFs before are lining up to watch Optimus and Megatron duke it out for a new generation, and in stunning High Definition clarity.

Hell, I had an Autobot shirt on during the 4th and both of my uncles said "Oh wow, you got the shirt! Have you seen the second one yet? We couldn't get in because it was sold out. The first one was so cool, the second one looks like it's bigger and better." And we spent a good 30 minutes talking about the movies and the toys, and for the first time...two generations of my family were finally on the same wavelength. Years ago, my uncles basically made fun of me for my love of TFs and anything related. When they said "Yeah, we get it now." you know something incredible has happened.

And it's happening all over the world now. Transformers are now becoming a household name and people are flocking to the theater to stand in line to see the movie.

People of all ages. Just like they did for TDK, and soon will for G.I. Joe.

And what will we continue to do? Bitch and moan because it's not perfect. Well, sorry to burst your bubble, NOTHING is perfect. NOTHING. Watch the movies or don't, buy the toys or don't, but at least be thankful that we still have what we have, and more is to come.

No, we don't have to bend over and take it when we think corporate America (including Hasbro) says to. We can always walk away.
    No, we don't have to kiss anyone's ass to get what we want, but a little "Hey, thanks!" goes a long way.

ROTF isn't for everyone, and it saddens me because I want no one left behind, but if you're willing to be a little bit patient, 2010 will have the return of Universe 3.0, the remainder of the Animated figures, and whatever else Hastak has up their sleeves.

I was an ingrate, I was angry over the loss of Universe 2.0 and Animated in favor of ROTF, but I look back now and see how silly it was for me to be that way. We're getting EVERYTHING we wanted and then some, and I have no reason to be complaining.

We have it good people, we should take more comfort in the fact that we've gotten what we asked for.

2. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    You either like what you like, or you don't.

3. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Autobot Strategist

I think it has more to do with expectations. When something comes out that fails to reach a person's idea of what their particular interest "is", then they naturally lash out. I don't feel this is wrong. I have myself railed against both the Bay movies and TFA because of what I perceive as a lackluster aesthetic. Does it make me wrong? No. There is no wrong as far as opinion goes. What I personally don't like is how people bitch about how much they want things to not be G1 (Which is why alot of people were applauding Animated) and then turn around and name one of their reasons for liking a mold/episode is because of how close to G1 it is. You can't have it both ways, folks.

4. mentat_emre

mentat_emre Well-Known Member

People complain a lot because they have place the complain. Internet. Seeing a lot of complaints hurts my feelings too. But in the big picture it is a very good thing. LOTR series were perfect but still people complained about something. A movie which gets a lot of negative discussion, means it is an OK movie. Too bad movies don't get a discussion at all, because there is nothing to talk about with it. With the internet, whinning is the right of all sentient beings.

5. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Very well said AnimatedFan. I couldn't agree with you more.

There are things about Transformers that people will love, people will hate. But the bottom line is that it is Transformers and myself as a fan will have fun and enjoy it as much as possible because I'm thankful for Transformers living as long as it has and hopefully as long as it will.

6. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    I applaud this thread.

Just goto any 3rd world country and the kids there have to make their own toys from a tin can.

But anyway.... as I was admiring my Universe & first ROTF stuff (ROTF voyager Starscream)...I kept thinking to myself ; wow, it's pretty neat that they still make this detailed stuff, modern engineering & limb articulation, in times of economical recession.

Talk about jaded...

7. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I 110% agree with you man. I will admit I dogged ROTF toys cause I was mad about 2.0, but I thought to myself WTF am I bitchin about I loved the first movie and I'm going to pay to see the 2nd a few times(3 times to date). The movie figures are awesome. Anyway I am grateful for what I got. I had my reality check already. I'm not a Trek fan so I won't comment on that, but Batman, TMNT have been realeasing awesome stuff over the past few years. Now GI Joe. I can't wait for GI Joe!!! I already posted this on another thread but I'll do it again. I think the movie will shut people up just like the toys already did!!

8. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    Maybe we're just not fans.
    Transformers aren't made for fans- they are made for the non-fan.
    So maybe the non-fans ARE the fans, while the fans aren't.

Or maybe we just care too much for it, and should become non-fans.

9. ginrai

ginrai lost with no way home.

the LOTR movies were FARRRRR from perfect.

I have every right to complain when changes are made to a beloved novel simply because Studio execs with too much focus group Data or Directors who " want more elves " or neo feminist directors wives with an ax to grind, dictate how they feel it should be " interpreted ".

10. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The more annoying class of fans:

a) perceive themselves as the ultimate authority on what is good or bad related to their franchise,
    b) think they are owed more due to their dedication/commitment,
    c) believe that dedication gives them additional ground from which to complain,
    d) are incredulous that others don't see things as they do, and
    e) believe others actually care what they think.

All of these concusions are wrong, from my perspective.
    I have to disagree. "Lashing out", getting angry, or railing against the decisions a company makes about their plastic toys is never appropriate or healthy behavior.

11. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

You know what I'm sick of? People telling me I should be grateful for shit. "Well we've been wanting a movie for years." Yes. Yes we have. I did want to see the Transformers back on the big screen. I didn't think it was necessary to specify I wanted a good film made by talented filmmakers, so maybe it's my fault. Maybe we should all have laid out to Hollywood in advance that we actually wanted something made by a competent director, based on a good script. If that's the case, I can only apologise. But in the meantime, I'd appreciate it if people stopped telling me we live in some sort of golden age.

You know what? It's not just Transformers. Look at Batman. Yes, the films are fucking amazing. Nolan has taken the cheesy, campy image Batman had (and I'm including Burton's films in that) and napalmed it. The standard for superhero movies is raised. But the toys were shockingly bad. I looked around for decent Batman and Joker figures. Unless I wanted to spend hundreds of pounds on the 1/6th scale collectors stuff, there was bugger all. The Joker toys didn't even try to look like Ledger, and none of the figures had the sort of articulation I expect on a modern action figure. Hell, they were barely improved from the stuff I had as a kid based on the '89 film (which also couldn't get the Joker right).

Star Trek. Dunno, haven't seen it, not interested. Yes, Kirk is iconic, etc. But I want to see something new, not something desperately trying to salvage a dying franchise by saying "Ooh, I wonder how Kirk and the gang met?" I dunno, by being assigned to the same ship or going through training together? That's generally how I'd assume Starfleet officers meet the other people they serve with. Meh.

GI Joe is probably the one thing I think might get it all right. Hasbro have the experience with the toys, whilst the film looks alright. A bit silly? Yeah. But the concept of GI Joe ain't exactly Shakespeare. And Sommers is the director people always seem to describe when they talk about Michael Bay: his work ain't gonna be confused for high art, but it's fun. The key difference being Sommers has produced a film I can watch without wanting to punch myself in the groin as penance afterwards.

If you enjoyed the films or toys I just ragged on, great. Good for you. It must be nice not to be a deeply cynical bastard. But I wish people would stop moaning that people like me aren't doing cartwheels at every piece of nostalgia-induced shite that gets thrown at us.

Oh, and it's not the first time I've seen my heroes on the big screen. That happened in 1986. They had a better soundtrack, and I could make out what was going on.

12. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I don't complain about the TF movies. I actually enjoyed them, I looked forward seeing them in theaters, and I came right out of the movie theater exclaiming, "That was effing awesome!" I overlook all the "imperfections" in those movies.

I saw the trailer for G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra. I've never seen the original G.I. Joe cartoon, but... damn! That looks like it could be just as good as the TF movies. In fact, I just might try and catch it in theaters.

13. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    I think we could all use a break from these 'reality checks' and the arguments they cause.

--Moony

14. Protoman

Protoman The Legendary One Veteran

News Credits:
    Heh..... you must be new to the fandom. Check the irony at the door.

15. jonatron26

jonatron26 Well-Known Member

slow clap. to join it write SC at the top of your post

16. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    So what would you have everyone else do?
    How would you have them act?
    How would you have them behave?
    How would you have them feel?

And could you do so without falling into your "A" catagory?

17. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'll second THAT.

(typed a big rant here, but then realized how much it doesn't matter.)

18. LordOptimus

LordOptimus Prime

Holy bloody h3ll, I thought I was deep....?

19. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm just thankful TF's period. Good times is good times.

20. LordOptimus

LordOptimus Prime

I third this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.