I think TLK would have been a lot better if it was split in two.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Nemesis Otaku, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Nemesis Otaku

Nemesis Otaku I love both Nemesis Prime and Anime!

Look, I know a lot of people dislike this film (to put it mildly), but I frankly enjoyed it. I'll admit, this is the only one outta the five where I walked out, and wasn't all giddy from joy. I don't remember my initial reaction for the first two films, but I recall walking out of DOTM literally bouncing with excitement, and leaving AOE amazed. This one however, I walked out, and I thought...interesting.

It had its faults, I get it. What I don't get, is how everyone ignores what it has to offer, and why I haven't seen any positive reviews for this film.

A lot of people knock the films for know having any really plot or a coherent story. It may be just me, but I think my main issue was how they actually tried to tell a story, but they put too much into the film.

I feel this film would have been better if it was cut into two parts. The first part would be where the actual story was told, and the impending danger of Quintessa being set up throughout the film. And the second part starting off with Nemesis' arrival to Earth, and then having the big fight.

Honestly, the biggest fault for me, was having them name drop Unicron. I would have either cut that out altogether, or have him be mentioned at the end of the film, and have him be center staged for the next film.

Before typing this, I intended to make this a thread where people gave positive reviews for TLK, but then it shaped into a sorta discussion thread.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It was originally two seperate films until DiVentura thought it was best to join them in to one.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MegaPrime1007

MegaPrime1007 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree with this a lot. The story was too big for 2 hours and a half, but there is no way they'd release a three hour film. It would have been better had they just left Optimus out of the film and built up suspense to have him arrive at the end as Nemesis Prime. Don't even reveal Optimus becoming evil in the trailers, just leave it as a major shocker at the end of the film. I feel like the movie would have been better if it more of a Cade and the Autobots vs TRF, with Galvatron in hiding yet he somehow reverts back to being Megatron. Rather, the movie would put more focus on the "two species at war" idea, where humanity is at war with all Transformers. Just a simple film dealing with those simple ideas, then have the TLK sequel deal with Quintessa and Optimus finally arriving.

• Like Like x 2
  4. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I dont recall anyone saying TLK was meant to be a 2 part film

• Like Like x 1
  5. FACEBOX

FACEBOX Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Stop making excuses for it.
    "Expert film makers" were involved and yet even an amateur could have had better results.
    It was a lazy attempt that is evident by the screen format, bad editing, and a storyline that conflicts with all of the preceding movies.
    The entire premise except for the introduction of Nemesis Prime is dumb.
    I wish I could sue Paramount for now having TLK as a permanent scar in my mind.

6. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I had the same opinion about Revenge of the Fallen, truth be told.

7. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee I must be some kind of nut...

I liked it well enough, but I understand people's misgivings for it. I think it was fine as is (after further consideration, it ranks in the middle of the live-action movies for me, behind the first and DOTM but before AOE and ROTF), though I would have had some of the Decepticons last a little longer, Nemesis join up with the Decepticons for a while and have him play off of Megatron for a couple of scenes, and maybe had Izabella go with Cade and Bumblebee to Britain. It made for an enjoyable experience, at least for me and my brothers, and I was intrigued by the cliffhanger. I feel one more movie would make for a satisfying conclusion to the continuity.

8. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Hooked on a Feeling!

News Credits:
    I really enjoyed TLK (it's probably my personal favorite of the series), but I agree that it could have been two movies. Ironically, despite the fact that it's called "The Last Knight", I feel like the knights are my least favorite aspect of the movie. I enjoy some of what they were going for with it, but my favorite stuff in the movie is the storyline with Cade, Izzy, Jimmy, and the Autobots in Chicago, the junkyard, and the abandoned town. I think I said it in another thread, but I would have liked the entire movie to have continued that tone and feel. They still could have kept evil Optimus and Quintessa and all, but it may have just been better to save the Knight storyline for a separate movie, maybe one that takes place entirely in medieval times (I believe this was the original idea.)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Galvatron II

Galvatron II I can type whatever here?

TLK is a fundamentally broken story. Splitting it up doesn't fix that. I'm not engaged with Cade or the mysteries set up in AoE because he's not a well drawn character like Sam and his relationship with the Autobots is lacking. The story needs an emotional core like Sam and Bumblebee and Cade and Optimus really doesn't match it

10. siccoyote

siccoyote Worst side of the fandom

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wait, Nemesis Prime (in TLK) isn't dumb?

11. Galva Prime

Galva Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah it wasn't going to be a two-parter, just that ideas were taken from two treatments (transformers being around in medieval times an WWII) and put into the film. But the treatments were two separate things and either plot was used in its original form.

12. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    It also would have been better if the directing, acting, and story were better.

13. Kotori Sonoda

Kotori Sonoda Yohane's Little Demon

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I have to agree with your reactions there, @Nemesis Otaku . TLk left me feeling, well, it's okay, but its not great. The others were like "awww yeah!"

Splitting the story sounds like an interesting idea. Have the first movie about the TRF, and have a cliffhanger/end credits which shows Optimus turning evil.
    Then the entire second movie can be about that.
    But I guess they don't want to have one whole film without Optimus in it...

• Like Like x 1
  14. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only ties to the previous film are the returning characters, Cade and Tessa's bond, Optimus leaving Earth to find his creators (which even then is not consistent), and the Ark on the moon.
    Nothing else is carried over.

15. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Yeah definitely. Have the movie actually focus on Cade and the junkyard crew, while the B-Plot is Megs gathering his crew. The town battle is expanded to be the final battle of the film.

Action beats I’ve thought of include: Daytrader deciding to help by burying Mohawk in his junk from his backpack; Onslaught being a fat bastard and trying to eat the baby Dinobots, only to get ripped to shreds by Grimlock and Scorn; and Berserker being their secret weapon. Megs, Nitro Zeus, Mohawk, Barricade, and Onslaught’s head survive the film.

Then Transformers 6 is the other half of TLK. More or less.

16. electronic456

electronic456 擎天柱

News Credits:
    For me dropping the history stuff would be the best thing cause most of that stuff is set up. Also some of it is just too hokey to take seriously so I'm gonna dismiss some of things that were in Burton's castle. That includes the King Arthur stuff since it feels irrelevant to how the knights were set up in AOE.

17. NemesisPrime12

NemesisPrime12 Well-Known Member

I wish TLK should be more focused on Megatron's return and Optimus' absence. It could be a good teaser for upcoming Bumblebee movie, and tease about Unicron, Quintessa, and knights stuff for TF6. Nemesis Prime could come as the main baddie too