I think Prowl needs a comeback.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Shadow25, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know Prowl was a major character in Animated, but think it's a mistake that he's been left out of plenty of Transformers media lately. I liked what the filmmakers did with Barricade in TF1 but I felt bad that Prowl was subsequently limited to a few comics appearances. Prime is still going so I won't count it out yet, but he also has yet to appear in the Cybertron games, and I feel he could have been a great addition to FOC. I always thought of Prowl as one of Prime's most trusted lieutenants but that role seems to be more frequently filled by Ironhide nowadays. I love Ironhide and like his bigger role since the movies, but Prime can have more than one high ranking officer, right?

2. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Isn't he being a complete Maverick with his interpretation of his powers in the RID comic?

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I think Prowl is at a disadvantage in terms of revival mostly, IMO, due to his IDW character. Prowl has evolved past the stick-in-the-mud right-hand goon portrayal into a full on morally questionable, frighteningly tactical machine of strategy and logic. He's a difficult character to write into a cartoon that's only in 22 minute doses and features other characters. He's so influential and represents and aspect of the TF war that seldom few series touch on. I.e. the fact that Optimus is not the only person in command who makes tactical choices and moves in the war. In most series, take for example Prime, Optimus is really the only Autobot who issues commands and can affect change. Prowl as he is represents a much more realistic, complex command structure indicative of a real war, which Transformers more often than not completely overlooks. While I doubt this would stop creators from putting him in and merely changing that or dumbing it down, I think it's why a lot of fans, myself included, are not clamouring for Prowl to appear. He's much more than just a cop persona because of his alt mode. Like was said above, he's a maverick that will use anything he can to his and his people's advantage, and for a lot of shows (Prime in particular with it's fear of real change) can't handle a character like that. If he was a villain this wouldn't be a problem, but he's not, and we don't want him to be. Good guy characters like how Prowl has become are practically nonexistant in TF shows and I doubt Prime or FOC (DEFFINATELY not FOC with the way it handles characters) could pull him off like this even if he did show up. This is mostly my own personal views but I like to think I'm not alone. This of course means nothing if he's a completely different persona like Animated, but considering how "cool" it is to be like G1 but put an "edgy" spin on it (Wheeljack) I doubt it.

tl;dr I want Prowl back but not if it means he's not the calculating maverick like in IDW.

4. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

i want see mirage or bluestreak

5. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Prowl had spotlight in animated. How about hound. He was only in g1.

6. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Only if he's a Lamborghini.

7. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Hell Yes.

He needs to be the IDW character. We need some shades of grey. Hey TFA got away with Sentinel Prime so why not IDW Prowl?

8. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Well, Sentinel Prime at that point was nothing more than a generic name for the guy Optimus usually got the matrix from. Sentinel from TFA, as much of a dick as he was, is the reason the name got put back on the list of useable names, and the real first true in-depth characterization anybody named Sentinel Prime ever got.

9. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    But I don't think Hasbro would object to Prowl since IDW is able to get away with it plus Prowl in G1 was just there.

10. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    I feel we need to see the synergy between Prowl, Jazz and Ironhide.

To my interpretations:
    • Jazz handles espionage, sabotage, and other special ops. He has the charisma to keep the other troops' respect and loyalty, and is Optimus' best friend. Jazz is the one who listens to Optimus when big-Prime needs to pour out his suppressed emotions.
    • Ironhide is the rough tough guy who is in charge of tactics, weaponry, training, and Optimus admires his spirit for still staying so tough after living so long and seeing so many fights but not quite losing his edge.
    • Prowl is strategy, logistics, information, a real artist of war. Calculating, precise, a great counter to Shockwave.

They need to be seen discussing with one another, getting along with some things, but also rub each other's elbows wrong. Prowl is definitely the odd-one-out being so serious, where as Jazz and Ironhide could loosen up, but they are ALL the second-in-command.

11. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Lots of good points made above! :thumb 

I'd like to see Prowl in TFP, but having the IDW version might be a harder, tougher Autobot character than the TFP writers would want to add to the Autobot team. Not saying they don't need someone with Prowl's talents..and edgy persona, but I don't think we'll ever see him in that series.

Maybe a combination of TFA and IDW? TFP could use a 'Badass Autobot' tho I bet they wouldn't go there.
    Loved the TFA version--once he decided to become a member of the team, not a loner-- but having a TFA replica probably wouldn't be acceptable to them either.

Would just love to see him added to the TFP Autobots, period.

12. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bingo. I've been thinking basically about something like this but I love the way you've refined and articulated it. I would really like to see this command structure implemented in some way, whether it's through tv shows, games, or films. There's definitely some great potential in seeing Autobot personalities play off one another. We've this to a very limited extent in Prime in Arcee and Bulkhead but only in a playful manner with no stakes. Great thoughts.

13. gokuz23

gokuz23 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Same! I love Prowl!

14. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

I may be in the minority, but I'd rather have a cold emotionless Vulcan Prowl than a morally ambiguous "grey" one.

15. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    While I haven't read the recent IDW stuff, I do like the concept of cold and logical better.

16. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Um, not a comics fan huh? Prowl has been a MAJOR player for the last couple of years...

17. JazzHunter83

JazzHunter83 Mrs FatalT

Minority or not, I agree with you.

I would love to see Prowl more in animated media, ie outside the comics. He is one of my favourite characters so I don't claim to be unbiased ;) 

18. toaster

toaster It's Hip to be Square !

I would love to see Prowl back on TV. He seems like the autobot version of Shockwave which I really like.

19. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    I would not mind having a G1 inspired Prowl in a toon. The ninja Prowl was a turn in Animated.

20. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

I would be interested in seeing something like that if it was done on the vein of Kirk-Spock-McCoy. Seeing a group like that is entertaining to watch (although I guess that would make Prowl the "Spock", I don't know how the other two would fill out).