I think i've discovered the Pony appeal

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheDemonDzko, Apr 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

First off, this is not to start a Pony V. Anti-pony debate. We all have our own opinions, nor am I confessing my love of Rainbowdash, or anything.

This is simply a theory that I have suddenly grown.

So, what is something alot of the kids from the 80's, and 90's in surplus? Cartoons.

It is the one thing this generation is missing out on in excess. I remember when I was younger, I would be able to watch cartoons on the weekdays, weekends, and just about whenever I wanted on Cartoon Network/Nick/Disney.

Now though? The only real option is on said cable channels. Why? Because, the only thing you can really get on the public syndication channels are really only Yugioh, and Dragon Ball Kai.

This isn't to say that I don't like Yugioh, it's just... after the original run, slash third season ended. It ran a bit dry for me, to the point where I ignored GX, and am pretty in the dark with 5 d's, and Zexial. And, as for Dragonball kai? Lawl no. Lawl. Fucking. No.

How is this related to Ponies you may ask? Especially when there -are- still channels like Cartoon Network still around? Well, it is the first original (ish) type show to meet syndication in quite some time. This is not to say that we haven't had some pretty decent shows since then. However, it escapes me at the moment.

So, baring in mind that the last good cartoons have really been... Avatar, and Legend of Korra. There really hasn't been a show in America that has caught the eyes of many viewers of cartoons, until Ponies.

This isn't to say, that the shows from 07 under wherent good though, it's just to say that... mostly everything on the television (if you have cable...and even then) is just continuations of the same damn'd shit that we have seen for the past couple of years, instead of introducing new ideas.

Not that I am not saying that MLP isn't guilty of using the same old ideas, IE having magical Ponies, that have girly adventures of right and wrong... whatever. The point is though however, that it is the first really well written show in quite some time (Ignoring Thundercats, and possibly Young Justice).

The appeal more of My little ponies, is not the girly pony shit, or for some viewers looking at it in nostalgia glasses. But, more so that it is a borderline decent show, that is poking its head out through the never ending slew of Ben 10 spin-offs, Yugioh spin-offs, Pokemon Spin-offs, and other never ending shows that should have ended five years ago (I'M LOOKING AT YOU SPONGEBOB!!!)

What i'm saying though, is that the show has charm, and originality. Something that I feel shows are really missing now adays. As a 90's kid though, that is saying something with some pretty brass balls, considering almost every show in the 90's was some kind of skin'd variant with differently named androgynous named man-dyke, but digression digression.

This is my theorem on the appeal of My Little Pony: Friendship is magic. That it is just "different", and just stands out a bit more then the never ending gruel that we are slopped out, week after week... It's just a bright coloured stupid show. Like, spongebob.

2. Inikalord

Inikalord Legal Binding Contracts

Ebay:
    Not to stray off topic but I gotta ask. Why?

3. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Big guy, that's an interesting theorum and all, but you could have put that in the long running thread we have, instead of starting a new brush fire >.<

4. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

I watched a couple of episodes with my daughter. The cartoon itself is way better than others out there. It's a good show.

The hate for it doesn't stem from the ponies but from the guys constantly stating that they are counter-culture "revolutionaries" called bronies. It was funny at first but just got annoying afterwards.

5. Moonlight1102

Moonlight1102 Banned

Too Long ; Don't Care.

6. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    ^ This.
    ^ And this. :lol 

Keep it in the Pony Thread.

7. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits: