I think I'm still in shock...(most productive week of my life)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hakudoushi, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Hakudoushi

Hakudoushi Well-Known Member

This must be a dream right? Less then a week ago I was an ordinary Junior at my High school; planning for college, going through the rigerous tests, and reading seemingly endless number of pamphlets for various colleges across the State and Nation.

Then on Wednesday I was inducted into the national honor society. WOW! I'm a national honor student...sweet...still hasn't really sunk in yet, but the pressure to remian in said society sure has.

Then yesterday I recieved a letter from the ACT college admissions office. I was so scared to open it...it was my ACT test results. The tests was so frustrating! I had to guess on almost all of the qurstions simply because the time restaint! I knew I had failed it; the best I could probably hope for was probably a 15 out of 36.

But apparently the administators thought differently.

The ACT test is out of a possible 36 and the national average is 20; I got a 23. A 23! I got a great score on my first try! OMG! I'm still wobbly! I don't even have to bother taking the test again if I don't want to! But I will seeing as I didn't take the optional writing portion. But I can simply finish high school and go onto college without worrying about those stupid ACT/SAT test requirements! The college I want to go to requires an ACT score of 20 or above! I'm so happy!...and relieved. :D 

2. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

Congrats dude. I remeber getting into the Nation Honor Society back in High School. In the ceremony for you, did you have to hold a candle or something. I remeber doing it and worrying about lighting myself on fire, or at least someone else:lol 

3. orionprime

orionprime <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

Congratulations! :rock  All great accomplishments.

4. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

They have an optional writing part on the ACT now? I got a 29 on mine...twice. Would have gotten a scholarship to the school I went to if I'd gotten one more question right, since I needed a 30. My idiot brother only missed one question and got a 35.

Never did National Honor Society...I never did any of the required activities...just went to school and once it was over I wanted nothing to do with it. No clubs or anything except Computer club once...probably should have played football.

5. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    I was quite disappointed to find out that my SAT scores and my college GPA didn't count for squat when I entered the real world. All that hard work for nothing, it seems.

But National Honors Society will look good on your resume though. Plus you get to wear fancy tassles and possibly a medal at your graduation.

6. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Didn't the SAT scoring get bumped up to 2400 (from 1600) or something? An entire generation that's going to have to explain that to their kids, lest they think their parents are morons.

"Dude, dad, you only got 1300? Yikes!"

Good SAT/ACT scores obviously help if you're applying to a 'real' college straight out of HS. I went to community college first (being about 1/4 the cost) and transferred to UT. As I recall, the significance of those scores drops dramatically when you go that route. Your transferring GPA trumps it.

7. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah other than the initial job out of college the ol' GPA don't amount to squat and no one you'll ever work with will give a tinkers cuss either.

Congrats on the test scores and getting into NHS. Both will look very good on your college application forms.

I had almost forgotten about the candles at the induction ceremony .... ah those quirky cults ... er um societies :D