I think I'm spoiled

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Rexidus, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    History lesson:

I hadn't bought a Transformer in a decade. I grew up with Beast Wars and they were the last ones I bought. Then War for Cybertron came out and I found some youtube reviews of his figure. I thought it looked awesome so in August I picked him up. I then quickly got Bee. These guys were a lot (it's two words people) of fun.

So longer story shorter I now have a bunch of Generations figures and will likely be getting some more Reveal the Shield.

And now the point of this thread. I couldn't pass up the Battle in Space pack. Rodimus (that is so much cooler a name than Hot Rod) is my favorite character. So much so that I actually tried to buy his Animated figure even though I HATE that aesthetics and thus don't own any of them. So when I saw the Battle in Space pack with an awesome mold of Rodimus (whom I know is from an earlier figure generation) with a Matrix... Add to that Cyclonus whom I really like and I couldn't say no to it. I literally tried. I held off for 2 or 3 days before I caved and ordered it.

ANYWAY, the point is the age of the molds for both Rodimus and Cyclonus seem apparent to me. Don't get me wrong, I think they are fantastic figures and I don't regret them for a second. I just wish they had as much articulation and default features the current generations have (like good hands with swappable weapons).

So I guess the Generations line has spoiled me with articulation awesomeness.

Anyone else think like me?

2. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] BATTLE GAIA!

News Credits:
    ^ Generations/ HFTD/ Reveal The shield = Teh awesome. :D 
    I dont blame you for loving the awesomeness.

3. TheRhymenoceros

TheRhymenoceros Derp.

I know what you mean. As someone who came back to Transformers just as generations wave 1 was being released, I look at the earlier lines (eg: cybertron, energon) and can only see them (with a few exceptions) as being inferior. I'm sure most of them are great figures, but comparing them to generations/HFTD/RTS makes most of them seem woefully inadequate.

4. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I see what you mean. I didn't have a lot of G1 toys when I was a kid. Ever since the Bayformer movies, I've dived in deeper than I realized. Look at my collection, I think it's time for a "big purge", and sell off a bunch that I really don't care about (mostly movie figures). Classics/Henkei, Universe, and Generations are perhaps the best things to come out of Hasbro for TF's, so those will stay.

5. Rexidus

News Credits:
    So in a perfect world of energon rainbows and lollipopcons who would you want redone?

I know I would want a Generations Rodimus.
    *looks over to Battle in Space Rodimus less than a foot away. "Sorry man, but it's true. I still love you though."

6. Victorysabre

Victorysabre Born to Transform

News Credits:
    Me personally, I so far don't like any of the newer figures as much as I love Classics Mirage or Universe Cyclonus. Those and Animated Arcee are about the most perfect things Hasbro has ever made in my opinion.

7. Autoclot

Autoclot Well-Known Member

The evolution in the classics style figures alone is quite astonishing. I got into collecting towards the tail end of classics / lead in to TFTM'07, and once I got past the "these aren't the toys of my childhood" issue I thought classics were pretty cool - Prime, Jetfire and a couple of others standing nicely on my shelf looking pretty awesome, and being, apparently, "as good as a TF could be".

Then Universe / 2.0 came around and the likes of Cyclonus and Sideswipe raised the bar a little.

Hunt for the Generations Shield, however... Drift, Jazz and Tracks... wow. The amount of detail and articulation in such a small toy is incredible.

I wonder what Classicsverse 4.0 will bring to the table...

8. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Cyclonus is still one of the best Transformers in recent years, so I won't be having any issues with him.

Rodimus, I can agree with. The figure itself isn't bad, but it could be better. Seeing how well Hasbro pulled off Animated Roddy I'm sure they'd do a fantastic job if they ever revisit the character Classics-wise.

9. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

I agree with Opticron, Cyclonus (and Nightstick) is still an amazing figure. Transformation is simple but involved, and he's got a better small partner figure than say, Universe Hot Shot. I think where Cyclonus falls short in the very few areas that he does has more to do with the core design of the figure (which was replicated amazingly) rather than engineering limitations, such as those giant sholders of his and his hard-to-hide head.

10. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I snuck back into Transformers when Universe and RotF were raising the bar (Classics and Movie, respectively, tempted me but they weren't quite there yet). I agree that in 2010 we have seen yet another distinct uptick in quality. Articulation, on average, just keeps getting better, and the open hands, ball-jointed wrists, and modular accessories are all very welcome advances.

11. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Indeed, it's amazing isn't it? Comparing a figure from 2008 to 2007 is already a biiiig difference. IDK what happened but lately Hasbro got a major engineering smarties boost.

12. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Speaking as someone who has been collecting a lot longer, Cyclonus is one of the best tfs made to date. I don't think he can be looked on as "inferior" by any means.

Rodimus, while not perfect, still is just as articulated as the current generations figures. He has all the important joints. I'm sure Hasbro could do better, however I don't think they will revisit rodimus AGAIN with a new "classic" style mold.

13. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    he is lacking in the arm articulation area, the 90 degree elbow with no swivel or any other movement isn't the greatest, but it'll do

14. Rexidus

News Credits:
    My biggest complaint with both Cyclonus and Rodimus is lack of bicep swivel. Also I don't love seeing the insides of Cyclonus knees when in jet form.

15. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    We've been needing a new chug Rodimus mold for some time.

16. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

I agree with what has been said- Cyclonus is one of the best figures in regards to accuracy to the original, transformation, and articulation. Hot Rod, not so much. But definitely, the Generations/RtS lines have given us some truly fantastic figures, and I'm super excited for Scourge to fill out my Unicron ranks.

Then again, Hasbro has dropped the ball on several other figures... here's looking at you, Galvatron. So for every fantastic tf there must be a crappy one.

17. Rexidus

News Credits:
    So 10 years from now are we going to look back at these figures and think they are primitive?

18. dragon516

dragon516 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Doesn't G1 look primitive to you?

19. Rexidus

News Credits:
    Yes but I can also see Transformers fading after the movie hooplah fading. So the quality might diminish.

20. Sorrow Six Star

Sorrow Six Star Close Countach

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes! I agree this new stuff is great! We have come a long way since classics and Rodimus shows this well. He is a great figure but falls behind newer stuff like WFC soundwave and RTS Tracks and Jazz looking very forward to WJ and Percy and Wreckgar and Lugnut and... you get the point XD